The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

University of Sunderland: course/ student life/ work experience?

I am applying to the University of Sunderland and it is my first choice. i attended an open day and i really liked the university. other uni's i am applying to do work experience as part of the course but this one doesn't say anything about that, i am just wondering if it does? or if the university can help you find work placements or somewhere where i could shadow someone in the work place.

is it a nice place to live? it seems like a very nice place but i didn't get to see the city. is there much to do? many shops? and what is the night life like?

i will be studying psychology with counselling skills, do you know if it is meant to be good and if people enjoy it?

are the people here friendly and easy to make friends with? (generally). i'm really nervous to start a university as i am an extremely shy person and find it hard to make friends so i know it's going to be hard for me, but i am looking at uni's far from home because it is giving me a chance to move away and hopefully become more confident :smile:
My friend spent most of his first year feeling quite lonely until I booted him up the bum and got him to join a society. Even though he struggles to make friends (he's a bizarre mix of shy and outspoken) he found that having a common interest really helped to start conversations and he's much happier as a result. :smile:
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you! I really want to go to Sunderland as my top choice, but haven't gotten the chance to go to an open day so still doubting whether I should. I'm fussy about accommodation you see, and the University website's photo's aren't really appealing or desiring. What did you think of the accommodation? And the University?

Oh, I'm also shy and quite, so am nervous about making friends. Especially in the halls, as I'm kinda OCD... Don't want anyone to hate me for nagging? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lacey7xx
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you! I really want to go to Sunderland as my top choice, but haven't gotten the chance to go to an open day so still doubting whether I should. I'm fussy about accommodation you see, and the University website's photo's aren't really appealing or desiring. What did you think of the accommodation? And the University?

Oh, I'm also shy and quite, so am nervous about making friends. Especially in the halls, as I'm kinda OCD... Don't want anyone to hate me for nagging? :smile:

i was really impressed with the university when i went to the open day! it looks like it's all been newly done up and everyone seemed very friendly :-) they have free buses for the students to use to get from their accommodation to the university too which i think is really good!
the accommodation was really nice i think, all the bedrooms were good sizes and just generally nice! if you choose to go there, i think the forge is the best accommodation as it has a shop and a bar on site and i think it holds the most flats so it would probably be easier to make friends here :smile: i also seen clanny house and that was nice too!
oh and there is also this thing where you can go there for a week in summer and stay in accommodation and basically be in the uni for a week, just to get a taste for what it is like to be there :smile: (and i think they said it was all free too!!)
Although it is not quite the crap hole it once was, Sunderland is a dump. The city the centre is full of generic shops, has no sense of its own identity and the nightlife is limited.
Reply 5
Original post by liv__
i was really impressed with the university when i went to the open day! it looks like it's all been newly done up and everyone seemed very friendly :-) they have free buses for the students to use to get from their accommodation to the university too which i think is really good!
the accommodation was really nice i think, all the bedrooms were good sizes and just generally nice! if you choose to go there, i think the forge is the best accommodation as it has a shop and a bar on site and i think it holds the most flats so it would probably be easier to make friends here :smile: i also seen clanny house and that was nice too!
oh and there is also this thing where you can go there for a week in summer and stay in accommodation and basically be in the uni for a week, just to get a taste for what it is like to be there :smile: (and i think they said it was all free too!!)

Hey! I think my heart is pretty much set on going to Sunderland - and I'll just have to get over my disgust at sharing a bathroom! Apparently the Forge and the Clanny house accommodation are the bests ones aswell!

I was looking at the summer school and think I'll sign up for it! It'll help me get settled in the area and hopefully make friends before I arrive in September! :smile:
Sunderland is my first choice too!! I loved it when I went to the open days and stuff! I booked my accommodation at the forge last week! So nervous to start but excited 🙈 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just booked my accommodation at the forge too! I'm in Jobling house what about you?
can't wait till september!
Original post by daisyalice94
I've just booked my accommodation at the forge too! I'm in Jobling house what about you?
can't wait till september!

Omg, im guess JH is jobling house? Im in JH??! Me neither, im so excited!!!!!
Original post by jessjanesanders
Omg, im guess JH is jobling house? Im in JH??! Me neither, im so excited!!!!!

Yeah I would guess that is Jobling House. I can't wait to get away from my parents and have some freedom haha! What are you going to study? I'm doing Digital Film Production?
Original post by liv__
I am applying to the University of Sunderland and it is my first choice. i attended an open day and i really liked the university. other uni's i am applying to do work experience as part of the course but this one doesn't say anything about that, i am just wondering if it does? or if the university can help you find work placements or somewhere where i could shadow someone in the work place.

is it a nice place to live? it seems like a very nice place but i didn't get to see the city. is there much to do? many shops? and what is the night life like?

i will be studying psychology with counselling skills, do you know if it is meant to be good and if people enjoy it?

are the people here friendly and easy to make friends with? (generally). i'm really nervous to start a university as i am an extremely shy person and find it hard to make friends so i know it's going to be hard for me, but i am looking at uni's far from home because it is giving me a chance to move away and hopefully become more confident :smile:

Hi, I've also applied to study psychology at Sunderland next year :smile:
I don't actually live in sunderland but i do live around 30 minutes away and i think its quite a nice place to live i don't know the sunderland area that well but from what i've seen it's nice enough and it's easy to travel to newcastle, Durham and the metro centre as well as other places which is great as they're all lovely places and all have lots of shops and Durham has lots of cultural places such as the cathedral. I'm also not sure about the nightlife but there is definitely bars and the nightlife in newcastle is one of the best in the country.
I'm also really nervous to start university as i'm really shy and i'm used to having the same friends i've had all the way through school which is why i'm trying to contact people before I go so that I've at least spoke to a couple of people before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending