The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Teeside University: course/ student life/ city

I am applying to Teeside University, i visited an open day and really liked the university. however, i'm not so sure about the city itself. i was in the uni and i really loved it and the people seemed lovely, but i stepped out and took the short walk to the centre and it was like a different world. it didn't look very nice and there was groups of unwelcoming teenagers walking around that made me feel rather uneasy. this was just a wednesday afternoon just it made me think what it would be like on friday and saturday nights. and i have read online that is is known to be miserable and fairly rough? quite 'chavvy' apparently, and i've lived in a place like that before and hated it. but i'm trying to mostly think about the university itself as that is where i will be living and spending most of my time.
also, could it get boring living there? and what is the night life like? is there many good clubs/bars? and if there is (or isn't) is it rough? like is there fights and other crimes?

i will be studying psychology with counselling, do you know if it is meant to be good and if people enjoy it? i really liked the sound of the course here.

despite what i said before, i know not all people will be like that. so are the people here friendly and easy to make friends with? (generally). i'm really nervous to start a university as i am an extremely shy person and find it hard to make friends so i know it's going to be hard for me, but i am looking at uni's far from home because it is giving me a chance to move away and hopefully become more confident :smile:
Original post by liv__
I am applying to Teeside University, i visited an open day and really liked the university. however, i'm not so sure about the city itself. i was in the uni and i really loved it and the people seemed lovely, but i stepped out and took the short walk to the centre and it was like a different world. it didn't look very nice and there was groups of unwelcoming teenagers walking around that made me feel rather uneasy. this was just a wednesday afternoon just it made me think what it would be like on friday and saturday nights. and i have read online that is is known to be miserable and fairly rough? quite 'chavvy' apparently, and i've lived in a place like that before and hated it. but i'm trying to mostly think about the university itself as that is where i will be living and spending most of my time.
also, could it get boring living there? and what is the night life like? is there many good clubs/bars? and if there is (or isn't) is it rough? like is there fights and other crimes?

i will be studying psychology with counselling, do you know if it is meant to be good and if people enjoy it? i really liked the sound of the course here.

despite what i said before, i know not all people will be like that. so are the people here friendly and easy to make friends with? (generally). i'm really nervous to start a university as i am an extremely shy person and find it hard to make friends so i know it's going to be hard for me, but i am looking at uni's far from home because it is giving me a chance to move away and hopefully become more confident :smile:

I live in Essex. You seemed pretty worried. Pm me if you want to feel better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Original post by liv__

Ok sorry for this late reply but I will try my best and be honest here. Middlesbrough is not the one of the best place in the UK I admit but it's not as bad as the Internet say it is. As with all places there are worse areas then others and as long as you stick with the ok areas your fine so no worries there. The people in the town...well occasionally you get some weird and some poor beggars one which is not a good sight so just ignore them. Lastly the town shops again not great but should have all the necessary shops and all for one to survive. Oh and no worries there are all kinds of good clubs/bars in and out of Uni and Teesside Uni is very very party and eventful as there is like a new event and party every week at its Student Union. But to be fair it wasn't as rough as I expected like I hear every now and then police siren but nobody attacked me yet :tongue: so it should be fine. Oh and as for the Uni there are many many great and all kinds of people the lecturers are nice as well and try to be as helpful as they kind to you which is the Uni strong selling point.
Reply 3
Original post by VincentKyoya
Ok sorry for this late reply but I will try my best and be honest here. Middlesbrough is not the one of the best place in the UK I admit but it's not as bad as the Internet say it is. As with all places there are worse areas then others and as long as you stick with the ok areas your fine so no worries there. The people in the town...well occasionally you get some weird and some poor beggars one which is not a good sight so just ignore them. Lastly the town shops again not great but should have all the necessary shops and all for one to survive. Oh and no worries there are all kinds of good clubs/bars in and out of Uni and Teesside Uni is very very party and eventful as there is like a new event and party every week at its Student Union. But to be fair it wasn't as rough as I expected like I hear every now and then police siren but nobody attacked me yet :tongue: so it should be fine. Oh and as for the Uni there are many many great and all kinds of people the lecturers are nice as well and try to be as helpful as they kind to you which is the Uni strong selling point.

thanks for replying! yeah i get that the internet does exaggerates things, i've applied there anyway so i shall see what happens! :smile:
Original post by liv__
thanks for replying! yeah i get that the internet does exaggerates things, i've applied there anyway so i shall see what happens! :smile:

Okay then good luck. Hope you will get in if you ever need any help I will be around.
I went to this uni for an open day as a joke. It was awful. I knew it was going to be bad, as its one of the worst uni's in the country but really..its bad
I'm from Teeside myself and I wouldn't recommend living around here. It's awful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hey, I'm from Middlesbrough and I'm not sure but I may end up there in September, the night life is actually pretty good, Creeps on a thursday will always be my fave, I mean you can't go wrong with £2 for a double vodka and coke...and if you really want to push it there's an abundance of Weatherspoon's which are crazy cheap, like Issac Wilson's, where it's £1.46 for a pint...I love it. Everything's quite nice, yeah you get a few idiots about but you do everywhere tbh...I'd definitely advise Creeps or Milk at Empire on a Saturday for your first nights out here.
Reply 8
Very late reply to the OP, but for anyone looking at Teesside;
The most important thing I can say is to make sure you apply for accommodation early if you can, otherwise they're likely to stick you in a ****ty house share in one of the many bad neighbourhoods. The houses themselves aren't bad, but they're between two other houses and you never know what your neighbours are going to be like.

I'm not going to lie to you and say this is "the safest, friendliest city in the UK!", it can be a bit daunting at times walking around town (there's beggars that come up to you and chavs drinking at 10am on street corners) but the city is so active that you don't really have anything to worry about during the day. Stick to the main roads and keep alert if you have to walk home late at night (as you should in any city) and you should be good.

Aside from that, students and staff are nice at the university and it's incredibly safe. There's plenty of societies and clubs you can join, of course the night life is good too with a huge amount of bars and clubs selling cheap drinks and the SU has stuff going on every week if you don't want to go on a pub crawl. I'd recommend it so long as you keep in mind that outside of the university and the main streets, it's a pretty poor city.
Hello. I start psychology and counselling this September, when are you starting
Hoping to star psychology and criminology in September. Has anyone got any info on the students? Is the majority mature, girl to boy ratio etc.

anything would be helpful, thanks

Quick Reply