The Student Room Group

How to motivate myself to study?

Scroll to see replies

yes music is a very effective way; i use it sometimes to do my maths homework and once i get into it, time goes quicker and i finish quicker. But you have to choose the right music; dont just hit on any music!!
Reply 21
What music shall we list?
Something without lyrics and progressive style four tet is a favourite of mine whilst working aswell as some psychedelic trance.
Yeah I'd like to know the name of some artists to listen to now please lol. Seriously can't work =\
Reply 24
you need something that will drive you to constantly use and update it.
Maybe somehting as simple as a blog, where you can add all your notes or something.
Thats how ive motivated myself, i made my own site then posted all my revision notes on there.
It meant i had to type it all up which helped me learn it too ?
what do you think?
for some reason the song 'angel' by shaggy is one of my choices while doing work
Reply 26
Tool helps so much if you are studying Philosophy, R.S. Maths or Physics, or any subject with rigorous thought involved. Trust me, download Lateralus and do some deep essay whilst doing it, you'll love it.
Mad summer by Joe Hisaishi is a song I revise to, its kind of like a musical.
what i used to do was this:
20 min revise + 10 min do what i want - like watch TV
listen to music allll the time - coz it was just a motivator in itself
highlight and make notes in different colours + add diagrams al the time!
do this for 3 hours, it doesn't add up to much in the end: only 120 minutes! :p:
but definately keep a schedule up so that you know exactly how many hours a week you are putting aside for each subject
Reply 29
Look back 5 years after this thread was started and tell me how you did it :biggrin:
Reply 30
i guess you could self deceive yourself, set 'fake' deadlines, i.e. that piece of work, although in, in two weeks time, is in this time NEXT WEEK....:rolleyes:

OK that's crap :biggrin:
I know this is a ridiculously old thread, but I think that's a really good idea, i really struggle to motivate myself and will use that now and see if it works
Reply 31
First of all don't worry, just tell yourself I will revise/study when I'm ready (whenever I say this to myself, I usually start revising right their and then)!
Reply 32
Thanks for the ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
If you know which university you want to go to, look at the entry requirements, and read TSR forums about applicants /offers. I did this and realized how tough it is. Really motivated me to start revising.

Also, memrise.com is amazing for Languages. It reminds you when you need to test what you've learnt too.

I also find it helpful to revise certain things for atleast 10 minutes, then do what I want for a while (like go on TSR as I am currently doing whilst revising :cute:.

And I feel like watching the news makes you smarter:erm:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
I used to be good at studying at GCSEs, I would have my homework completed centuries is advance lol- ah:closedeyes: those where the days and I got 8 A*s and 2 As plus 2 BTEC distinctions. At A-levels, I barely scrapped my three As and now at Uni I barely do any work at all beyond me meeting short deadlines in the immediate future. My best advice is to come up with a times table and goals and stick to it as best as you can. Being concious you have work to do will be far much better than ignoring the work at all.
My dad told me to think of it as working for a pay rise and it works, the more you study the more money that is available to you in life. So when it's between say studying and going out cycling( which I love) I study because then in the future I will be able to afford a good bike. I find that works, although I am only at nat 5.
Reply 36
Original post by white_haired_wizard
Not since my weekly French spelling tests (which i revised for rigourously (sic?)) in my pre GCSE years (that is, secondary yrs 7-9), have i truly applied myself when it comes to revision. I fared rather well at GCSE, on little revision, i did so very little at a-level and did quite a bit worse, grades-wise. I worked hard in my first year at university, had many essay deadlines in politics and my own subject, and fared extremely well. Then, due to going 'single' subject, i had very few hours each week in my subject, had very little work to hand in, not only non-assessment work, but assessed work itself. Generally, when i have deadlines rapidly approaching, i tend to pull my finger out, and work fairly hard. Pressure is a good, healthy thing, and when there is none, or none that is approaching in the not-so-distant future, this is the greatest danger when it comes to revising and getting good grades, et cetera...

i guess you could self deceive yourself, set 'fake' deadlines, i.e. that piece of work, although in, in two weeks time, is in this time NEXT WEEK....:rolleyes:

OK that's crap :biggrin:

So if i have an unconditional and i still want decent A-levels what should i do
Hard chapters are usually based on the easier ones, as they form the foundations of your understanding. Start with the easier ones done first, so at least you have something that is done thoroughly. Try reading one easy chapter and then one hard chapter. Be prepared in advance for it to be harder going.Set yourself some goals when you study that have a time frame. When you achieve those goals, be confident that you're studying effectively and that whatever you're doing is working for you. When you see that you managed to reach your goals, it will confirm that your habits are really beneficial, and push you to carry on with them. If you don't manage to fulfill a set task, maybe it was a bit unrealistic, or you could try a different study technique.Having an area free of distractions can help you focus on your work.... real this post <a href="http://www.redagas.org/2018/03/how-to-motivate-yourself-to-study.html">How To Motivate Yourself To Study</a>
(edited 6 years ago)
Hard chapters are usually based on the easier ones, as they form the foundations of your understanding. Start with the easier ones done first, so at least you have something that is done thoroughly. Try reading one easy chapter and then one hard chapter. Be prepared in advance for it to be harder going. Set yourself some goals when you study that have a time frame. When you achieve those goals, be confident that you're studying effectively and that whatever you're doing is working for you. When you see that you managed to reach your goals, it will confirm that your habits are really beneficial, and push you to carry on with them. If you don't manage to fulfill a set task, maybe it was a bit unrealistic, or you could try a different study technique. Having an area free of distractions can help you focus on your work....
hello and welcome to my 4 easy steps to studying and passing a test. According to the encyclopedia of fihlgoihgohloghisoigosrehoefesfoihefiugefsose:these are the best ways to correcting your substandard F to an outstanding A:1) Sit down2) open microsoft word3) look at question4) ThiNK5)(SIKE THERES MoRE!) thiNK AGAin Coz U r proBaBly Wrong6) NoTepad and spells BooBS until You ArE 100% EntERTained.7) Done kiddos! bring in those A's Lots of LOve. Ruish and Garbage with an apostrophe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending