The Student Room Group

vanadium oxidation states calculation help!

i did experiment were i prepared a stock solution of vanadium by dissolving 0.5404g of V2O5 and 2.01g of NaOH in 5 cm3 of water. i then diluted it by transferring it in to a 100 cm3 graduated flask and adding 50cm3 of distilled water and 50cm3 of bench dilute H2SO4. the solution was a yellow/orange colour indicating Vanadium was at its highest oxidation state of 5+.

I worked out the concentration of the stock solution with respect to V2O5. i did n=mass/mr therefore; n=0.5404/181.893 > n=0.00297098 moles. now for concentration i did c=n/v therefore; c=n/(100cm3/1000) > c=0.02970977 mol dm-3. i am told that the molarity with respect to vanadium content is double the molarity based on V2O5. Therefore, i times the concentration by 2. giving me a concentration of 0.0594 mol dm-3. for the stock solution.

now for part A of the experiment i did the following: i pipette 20cm3 of my stock solution in to a 250cm3 conical flask diluted with approximately 55cm3 of water added 3g of zinc and 25cm3 of dilute H2SO4 i let this solution heat until it went from yellow > lavender colour indicating a oxidation state of 2+ for vanadium.

next step was to reoxidise the reduced solution back to its 5+ oxidation state from 2+ by titrating with KMnO4 solution. i added 31.20cm3. to go from lavender > yellow/orange colour.

now the aim for me is to deduce a value for the lower oxidation state of vanadium mathematically. i am stuck on this part. i have tried by working out the moles of KMnO4 and V(v) then getting a ratio. but i think i am doing something wrong as i get a value of 0.5? can someone please help me with this problem. I need to get it done in 4 days. Thanks.

useful information given: http://prntscr.com/56s4xd
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest