The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Sound Engineering and Production 2015 entries

Hey guys.

just looking for anyone applying for this course for next year? I applied at the beginning of 2014 for a deferred place, got the right results to get in so I'll be starting September 2015.

Taking a year out in Australia atm so I'm living in Melbourne hoping applying for accomodation in Jan won't be too much of a pain!!
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey, CameroneyO!

I'm about to apply for the same course in a couple of days. I've chosen BCU, De Montfort Uni, Uni of York, Kingston Uni and I'm not sure about the 5th. But what I wanted to say is BCU is gonna be my firm choice so I really hope I will get in. Do you know any books suitable for this course, because I wanna know the basics before I start studying it (I don't have any previous musical education...do you?) and it would be great if I read some books. :smile:
Reply 3
Hey man, yeah BCU is fantastic for the course , if you haven't been to an open day yet I urge you to, you'll be amazed with the facilities they have available. In terms of books I'm still looking myself , there's heaps of material on sound engineering, especially on the history of recording and producing sound. I myself am a musician, playing guitar mainly among other things and producing house/dance tracks which is what fuelled my passion for the subject, it definately helps if you're looking to st into the production side of the course.
Original post by CameroneyO
Hey guys.

just looking for anyone applying for this course for next year? I applied at the beginning of 2014 for a deferred place, got the right results to get in so I'll be starting September 2015.

Taking a year out in Australia atm so I'm living in Melbourne hoping applying for accomodation in Jan won't be too much of a pain!!

well welcome to BCU :P Hope you have a good time here
Reply 5
Hey man, yeah BCU is fantastic for the course , if you haven't been to an open day yet I urge you to, you'll be amazed with the facilities they have available. In terms of books I'm still looking myself , there's heaps of material on sound engineering, especially on the history of recording and producing sound. I myself am a musician, playing guitar mainly among other things and producing house/dance tracks which is what fuelled my passion for the subject, it definately helps if you're looking to st into the production side of the course.

Well, I would really like to attend an open day, but the problem is that I'm not from the UK... I am a musician too, but without musical education. I play the guitar and a bit piano but I know nothing about acoustics, harmonies and theory at all.. But I didn't see anything about this kind of education mentioned in the entry requirements, so I hope it's ok. Have you already thought about the accommodation? I'm thinking of Jennens Court, Curzon Gateway and Aston Villages, but I think Curzon Gateway is the best.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Koko#3
Well, I would really like to attend an open day, but the problem is that I'm not from the UK... I am a musician too, but without musical education. I play the guitar and a bit piano but I know nothing about acoustics, harmonies and theory at all.. But I didn't see anything about this kind of education mentioned in the entry requirements, so I hope it's ok. Have you already thought about the accommodation? I'm thinking of Jennens Court, Curzon Gateway and Aston Villages, but I think Curzon Gateway is the best.

Koko man, I don't think you should be worrying too much about not being taught any music theory.. I'm in the same boat and been doing Level 3 Music Technology for 2 years, finishing up now and got an offer from BCU for Sound Engineering, so I'll see you there hopefully and we'll be both either succeeding or dropping out, haha! :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 7
Guys sound engineering doesn't require formal music education, just the technicalities behind recording, mixing, setting up for performances, broadcasting, sound design and the physics of stuff, don't worry.

Though I do play myself and will be focusing on music production and recording techniques; was hoping to get together with some folks :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Guys sound engineering doesn't require formal music education, just the technicalities behind recording, mixing, setting up for performances, broadcasting, sound design and the physics of stuff, don't worry.

Though I do play myself and will be focusing on music production and recording techniques; was hoping to get together with some folks :wink:

Swheeeeeet to the moon, that's what i thought too tbh! Cheers! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending