The Student Room Group

Help with which university to go to and what to study (media related)?

I am looking for a university with:

A good night life (lots of parties, clubbing, nights out etc).
A good SU with lots of society's.
A uni with a decent gym.
A uni in a city but with a campus feel.
A uni in either South Wales, West England or London (I know these are very different but these are where I am considering).
A mind to lower mark uni A-levels ABB - BBB.

Course wise I want to study something media related and I want a very practical course so something like 50% practical or even 75% practical. I am looking at doing media production, but what is the difference between media production and media studies/media and communication? I want a course that gives me a wide array of media knowledge so I can take my degree into any field I wish to.

So can you guys leave me suggestions for courses and uni's that meet my needs. Also could you explain the difference between media and communication and media production, also which is better?

Universities like Birbeck, LSBU and Greenwich come to mind however be open to the midlands, uni's there have a GREAT social life and are hot spots for London students as most don't stay In London
When I looked round Southampton solent university (for a completely different course to you) they had loads of media/music facilities and had only just spent a fortune on improving those facilities. Their main facilities are for media and sports so they invest heavily in those areas. I really enjoyed looking around and loved the whole feel of the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brighton and Anglia Ruskin :smile:
Original post by cheese11123

A uni with a decent gym.
A uni in either South Wales, West England or London (I know these are very different but these are where I am considering).

Course wise I want to study something media related and I want a very practical course so something like 50% practical or even 75% practical. I am looking at doing media production, but what is the difference between media production and media studies/media and communication? I want a course that gives me a wide array of media knowledge so I can take my degree into any field I wish to.

So can you guys leave me suggestions for courses and uni's that meet my needs. Also could you explain the difference between media and communication and media production, also which is better?

Have you thought about University of Sheffield? I'm a current first year of their BA in Journalism Studies. If you're unsure on what you'd like to go into (media based), you could always try out the Sheffield Methods Institute, which is a brand new department offering social sciences courses for September 2015 starts.

They have a BA/BSc in Applied Social Sciences, where you can choose from a vast array of subjects, including Journalism which is often seen as being media based. As well as this, you learn everything that employers want, meaning you'll find it a lot easier once you graduate and get a job, as you'll have both the skills and knowledge that employers would like.

If you'd like more information, you can speak to me :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by cheese11123

A uni with a decent gym.

I'm applying to study multimedia journalism at a number of universities but I've found that Southampton Solent and Bournemouth are extremely good for media and your other requirements. I'm looking at Solent for my first option as it's in a city but has everything I'd need. Go to an open day and let me know how it goes. Haven't found anyone else who wants to study something media related so it's always worth a try. It's around an hour away from London so it's not too bad either. Good luck!
Hi Cheese11123,

I am a first year student at Bournemouth University, studying BA Television Production and thought I could give you an insight into Bournemouth.

Have you looked at Bournemouth University at all?
It seems to tick quite a few of your boxes :smile:

It has an outstanding reputation for its Media school and offers the course Media Production, which is mainly practical. It has some great facilities including a HD studio, Journalist Studio, Radio Suites, Editing rooms and so on.

BU also has over 100 different societies to get involved with, from sports teams to Nerve Media; so you should be able to find something that suits your personal interests. BU also has its own student bar based at Talbot Campus and nightclub based at Landsdown. These venues also hold other events such as themed nights, comedy nights, quiz nights and karaoke nights, which can all be lots of fun!

Within town there are lots of Pubs, Bars and Clubs to choose from. There are also plenty of shops and restaurants as well as the beautiful beach! Due to the amount of accommodation around town there are students everywhere which creates a real good, friendly atmosphere.

As well as this BU also offers a state of the art gym, with lots of classes and facilities to use. If you don't want to join the University Gym, there are also plenty of options to choose from in Town. Including one right under Asda that is only 12 a month!

I hope this info helped and please feel free to ask me any questions!

Gemma :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending