The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

MSN Messenger!!

Anyone know how to overcome the bloody troubleshooting message that keeps coming up when I sign onto MSN on campus??? Ive heard loooads of other people have had the same problem. I'm using the latest version (windows live messenger) on win xp - m8s using the mac equivalent on their iBooks have no problems!!
Same with shared music on iTunes - wont let me access any shared music on iTunes but people with macs can!! soo unfair! lol
xxx
Reply 1
That's a problem for me too, u just have to wait, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. However, I haven't been able to log on to my hotmail for days!!:eek:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Shared music is blocked.

No communication between clients is allowed on the ResNet.

As for MSN: make sure that your Internet Explorer settings are correct (even if you're using Opera, of Firefox, or whatever), this tends to fix it.
Reply 3
what are the correct internet explorer settings cos mine worked up until a few days ago and I don't think I've changed anything!!
Reply 4
Open Internet Explorer.

Tools > Internet Options

Connections Tab

LAN Settings

Autoconfig Script ticked:

with address: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/proxy.pac

try Autodetect settings on and off, I can't remember if it makes any difference/.
Reply 5
Behold.
Open up messenger.
Tools > Options > Connections > Advanced settings

Go down to proxy bit.
Enter username and password

This rectified all issues with MSN for myself.
Reply 6
redluc
Behold.
Open up messenger.
Tools > Options > Connections > Advanced settings

Go down to proxy bit.
Enter username and password

This rectified all issues with MSN for myself.

i still cant get the crappy thing to work!! :frown:
Reply 7
make sure u have the new messenger live
i found updating from msn 7.5 makes it work
Reply 8
Check your firewall too.
Reply 9
Contacted the techie guys at msn...and it works!! so if ur having problems with msn still with error 80048820....

Try the following solutions in the order that they are liste d:
1. Visit the following Web site to determine whether you can connect to the Internet:
http://www.microsoft.com

If you cannot connect, contact your Internet service provider or the local network administrator.

2. Verify that the time and the date settings on the computer are correct:
a. Click "Start," click "Run," type the following command, and then click "OK":
control timedate.cpl

b. Make sure that the time and date settings are correct.

3. Reregister the Msxml3.dll file:
- Click "Start," click "Run," type the following command, and then click "OK":
Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll

Note: If this command runs successfully, you will receive a "DllRegisterServer succeeded" message.

4. Determine whether Messenger is blocked by a firewall:
a. Visit the following Web site, and then sign in to Web Messenger:
http://webmessenge r.msn.com/

b. Click "Start Web Messenger," and then determine whether you can sign in.
If you can sign in to Web Messenger, Messenger may be blocked by a firewall. If the computer is running third-party (non-Microsoft) security software or firewall software, such as ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security, or McAfee, make sure that the software is set to let Messenger operate, and then try to sign in to Messenger again.
c. If you are using Windows Live Messenger, visit http://spaces.msn.com/messenger-support/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!3669.entry, and then look for steps on how to enable Windows Live Messenger through the most common firewalls.

5. Make sure that the Microsoft Internet Explorer settings are configured correctly. Messenger uses the settings in Internet Explorer when it makes a connection to the Messenger service. To configure Messenger, follow these steps:
a. Start Internet Explorer.
b. Make sure that Internet Explorer is not se t to work offline:
i. On the "File" menu, make sure that "Work Offline" is not selected.
ii. If "Work Offline" is selected, click "Work Offline."

c. On the "Tools" menu, click "Internet Options."
d. In the "Internet Options" box, click the "Content" tab.
e. Under "Certificates," click "Clear SSL State."
f. When you receive the message that states that the SSL cache was cleared successfully, click "OK."
g. Click the "Advanced" tab, and then click "Restore Defaults."
h. Click the "Connections" tab, and then click "LAN Settings." Clear all the check boxes, and then click "OK."
i. Click "OK" to close the Internet Options window.
j. Verify that you can connect to the Internet. To do this, visit the following Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com

6. Clear the proxy se ttings in Messenger:
a. Start Messenger.
b. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options."
c. Click "Connection," and then click "Advanced Settings."
d. Delete the entries under "SOCKS."
e. Click "OK" two times to save the settings.

7. Reregister the SSL security libraries. To reregister each file in the following list, click "Start," click "Run," type the command, and then click "OK."

Note: After each command successfully runs, you will receive a "DllRegisterServer succeeded" message. Wait until you receive this message before you run the next command.

REGSVR32 softpub.dll
REGSVR32 wintrust.dll
REGSVR32 initpki.dll
REGSVR32 Rsaenh.dll
REGSVR32 Mssip32.dll
REGSVR32 Cryptdlg.dll
REGSVR32 Dssenh.dll
REGSVR32 Gpkcsp.dll
REGSVR32 Slbcsp.dll
REGSVR32 Sccbase.dll

8. If these steps did not resolve the issue, reply to this message and include the following information:
- When you tried to register the Msxml3.dll file in step 3, did you receive a message that confirmed that the registration succeeded?
- When you visited the MSN Space for enabling Messenger through the firewall, did you find instructions about how to enable Messenger through your firewall? If you could not find instructions for your firewall on that Web site, provide the name of the firewall that you are using.

Thanks again for contacting Windows Messenger Technical Support. Every customer is valuable to us, and we regret you have experienced difficulties.

For questions or self-help with Windows Live Messenger, at anytime you may also visit: https://account.live.com/helpcentral.aspx?mkt=en-us

Best Regards,

Ernesto
MSN Messenger Technical Support
Woah.
Reply 11
Or check out this thread on the USSU Forum in which a guy from the University IT Services has explained in non scary technical language how to set up MSN Messenger

Jo x
Reply 12
I gave up with MSN and started using Windows Live messenger. It's the same thing just with a different name and keeps all your buddies the same and actually works with no problems whereas MSN doesn't. Just use Windows, easy!

Latest

Trending

Trending