The Student Room Group

Product rule help!

Given that f(x)=x(x+2)^3 find f '(x) using the product rule.

My working, I have differentiated it correctly by expanding because that was in part a and I have checked the answer with the mark scheme (4x^3+18x^2+24x+8)
I have attached a copy of my work, it's messy and my second attempt at the question! What is going wrong?!
Thank you 😄😄😄ImageUploadedByStudent Room1416157761.799915.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Audi

My working, I have differentiated it correctly by expanding because that was in part a and I have checked the answer with the mark scheme (4x^3+18x^2+24x+8)
I have attached a copy of my work, it's messy and my second attempt at the question! What is going wrong?!
Thank you 😄😄😄ImageUploadedByStudent Room1416157761.799915.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have an extra x in your dv/dx. The derivative of (x+2)^3 is 3(x+2)^2.
Original post by Audi

Thank you ImageUploadedByStudent Room1416157761.799915.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a bit confused by your working, did you write dv/dx as 3x(x+2)^2? Because that's wrong.
Reply 3
Original post by davros
You have an extra x in your dv/dx. The derivative of (x+2)^3 is 3(x+2)^2.

Original post by Chlorophile
I'm a bit confused by your working, did you write dv/dx as 3x(x+2)^2? Because that's wrong.

I thought that you had to then times the derivative by x, as it was the derivative of the bracket?
Original post by Audi
I thought that you had to then times the derivative by x, as it was the derivative of the bracket?

Yes but the derivative of the bracket (x+2) is 1, not x!
Reply 5
Original post by Audi

Yes, and what's the derivative of x with respect to x? :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Chlorophile
Yes but the derivative of the bracket (x+2) is 1, not x!

Original post by davros
Yes, and what's the derivative of x with respect to x? :biggrin:

hahaha indeed!!! Thank you very much! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest