The Student Room Group

Do things get better at uni?

I moved to a new school for sixth form and I'm really unhappy there. I lost touch with my friends from my old school but haven't made any at my new school. It's really depressing not being invited to outings and parties and things like that.

Do things get better at uni? Is it easy to make a good group of friends? Experiences please!
Life is what you make it.

It's easy to make friends with Uni, yes. There are a few extra things you can do, such as moving into halls, joining societies and things like that. So yes there is a good chance things will change at Uni, you've got nothing to be worried about.
Yes, but you really need to put yourself out there. In school, you don't have to get involved to make friends but in uni, it's virtually essential.
Yep, it's a lot easier to make friends as longm as you force yourself to sit next to people in lectures and talk to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
For me, things only got a whole lot worse.
yeeessss!!! i had the same issue as you , although i had just grown to hate my secondary school by sixth form and i did have close friends outside of uni

but i had no distractions, i got amazing grades , got into my dream uni and now i'm a lot happier

you do have to put yourself out there though - you need to make an effort to find that one person who you'll click with , i'm quite lucky because i found two and a group as well , but it definitely gets better , don't get disheartened , sixth form was the worst two years of my life but now i barely remember it :smile:
I'm gonna give an answer on the opposite side of the spectrum; For me things have never been worse

I've never felt so lonely, isolated and depressed in my life. Societies are NOT the answer to everything as is so often thrown about on this site. My Uni has 1 really active society, the rest dead, obsolete or hardly active. I don't connect with anyone on my course because a lot of people have come from the same school but not me. There didn't seem to be a gelling period, people just sat with eachother and talked about their old school or how they went out and did stuff.

I came from a Sixth Form I loved, had a lot of friends, people like myself but different too in a way I could relate too if that makes sense. I've never felt lonely in my life really until now and it eats away at you. Even at home you dread going in and spending the day just hoping things get better. You can sit next to people all you want, but if you don't have any common interests and unless you feign interest, it's futile. I'm not some kind of unique special snowflake but me and my class have come from really different places and it shows. Wildly different interests and even humour.

Each experience is unique of course so this will probably not apply to you, but just wanted to show how things can get worse, much worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by somemightsay888
I'm gonna give an answer on the opposite side of the spectrum; For me things have never been worse

I've never felt so lonely, isolated and depressed in my life. Societies are NOT the answer to everything as is so often thrown about on this site. My Uni has 1 really active society, the rest dead, obsolete or hardly active. I don't connect with anyone on my course because a lot of people have come from the same school but not me. There didn't seem to be a gelling period, people just sat with eachother and talked about their old school or how they went out and did stuff.

I came from a Sixth Form I loved, had a lot of friends, people like myself but different too in a way I could relate too if that makes sense. I've never felt lonely in my life really until now and it eats away at you. Even at home you dread going in and spending the day just hoping things get better. You can sit next to people all you want, but if you don't have any common interests and unless you feign interest, it's futile. I'm not some kind of unique special snowflake but me and my class have come from really different places and it shows. Wildly different interests and even humour.

Each experience is unique of course so this will probably not apply to you, but just wanted to show how things can get worse, much worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What Uni do you go to?
I too, have found things to be infinitely worse since coming to uni. There are a variety of reasons for this.

I always felt at school most of my friendships were superficial; we saw each other day, and thus, we were friends. As soon as I left school that was the end of most contact. I have three friends left from high school.

At uni, well, I still don't have any friends really. Sure, there are people on my course of I get on really well with and when there's a group outing I get invited, but on the whole I get left out when it's just a handful of people going. It's not lack of effort on my part, I talk to people, try and organize things etc. I have a couple of people here who are really good friends and mutual effort is made to keep the friendship alive (it's rare for me to find this), and a boyfriend who is amazing. But it doesn't stop me feeling lonely and sad. There are days when I just stay in bed all day and even the prospect of going in to class sends me to tears.

I've joined societies and stuff and even help run one; I just can't relate to most people in the ones I have joined.

I guess what I'm getting at here is if you're a social butterfly who's always been able to make friends etc, uni will be great for you and it will be the time of your life.
If like me, social situations are more problematic, it'll be tough. Not saying it can't go from one spectrum to the other, but on the whole that is my experience.

For me too, since moving out of uni halls and into private accommodation it has got so much worse. Mainly because I end up cleaning the kitchen, bathroom, am the only one to take out the rubbish and put out the bins; no one else has much sense of responsibility. I pay the monthly bills and it takes another month before people will give me the money they owe me. I also hate my room; it's downstairs and the girl above me is really noisy until the early hours of the morning and I've given up messaging and asking her to turn down her tv etc. All the noise from the kitchen distracts me and keeps me awake at night (The washing machine is loud, the microwave is loud and my bedroom is right off the kitchen) It gets me down, I hate living here. If I didn't live with one of my best friends I would have tried to move out somewhere else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Da Di Doo
What Uni do you go to?

Birmingham City. Made the horror mistake of staying local.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Easy for the extroverted

hard for the introverted

Hellish for the shy and socially awkward

Just like real life amirite? :frown:
Original post by somemightsay888

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw man that sucks :/

Hav3 you tried a social group outside of uni?
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Aw man that sucks :/

Hav3 you tried a social group outside of uni?

What do you mean, things like meetup.com or something? No I haven't looked into it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
It's overrated, I can tell you that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending