The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Where the **** is the middle class?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadiseFound
Since when was debauchery , alcoholism and narcotics classified as working class activities ? These have been in the middle class / upper class for generations and your a fool to think otherwise.

According to this guy, Marquis de Sade and Lord Byron are working class.

Clearly this man is not particularly knowledgeable.
Original post by geoking
Why can't you take it on face value? It makes perfect sense. If you are rich, how is life problematic?

Who knows, you'd be a fool to think every rich person has a perfect, carefree life.
Reply 42
Original post by betht123
A majority of the people I know fit at least 2 of these checks if not more. I attend a profoundly middle class boarding school. These are basically all middle class characteristics if you add a polished accent

Money talks, not class.
Original post by RayApparently
Sounds like a completely unsubstantiated and wholly offensive comment to make.

indeed if anyone in the thread is
'emotionally immature' it;s the OP, with their search for an elusive 'middle class'
Reply 44
Original post by Skip_Snip
Who knows, you'd be a fool to think every rich person has a perfect, carefree life.

"Derp I dunno" doesn't really constitute and answer.

Original post by zippyRN
indeed if anyone in the thread is
'emotionally immature' it;s the OP, with their search for an elusive 'middle class'

Because making a ****ish comment really endears your point and makes it that more valuable. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
A general decline in traditional values, and a rise in the liberal, "do what makes you feel good" attitude.

Obviously I can only take into consideration my experiences, but in terms of the drinking, etc, i come from a working class area, and it's just what's expected of you. If you stay in on a Saturday night, then your considered to be "weird", and "have no life". Not to mention that the working class seems to put value on casual sex and drug taking, to the point that the more girls you have slept with, the more of a "legend" you are. A lot of young people nowadays have dead-end jobs, not much of a future, and a big blow-off at the weekend is what their lives evolve around. The majority of my friends are like this, effectively "living to go out".

On the other hand, we didn't know about such working class depravities until social media became widespread. It's probably always been the same, apart from social media just helps to broadcast it more. I know the generation above me did a hell of a lot of drinking, sleeping around and drug taking. If for example, the infamous Magalluf oral sex incident happened 15 years ago, it would have been simple urban legend, and they only people who would have known about it, would have been those in the pub. Because it was 2014, was captured on a smartphone and put on social media within hours, the whole world can see how "depraved" people have become. My point is, the working class has probably been the same, but nowadays it just seems worse, because every moment is so easily captured and broadcasted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geoking
"Derp I dunno" doesn't really constitute and answer.

I didn't say that. What I did say was it's stupid to think being rich automatically means one is carefree.

Oh, and *an.
Reply 47
I didn't say that. What I did say was it's stupid to think being rich automatically means one is carefree.

Oh, and *an.

Actually it's stupid to go against such a generalisation unless you think being pedantic and going for the outliers makes sense. Oh wait, you're a typo kind of guy....That explains it. :rolleyes:
Original post by geoking
Actually it's stupid to go against such a generalisation unless you think being pedantic and going for the outliers makes sense. Oh wait, you're a typo kind of guy....That explains it. :rolleyes:

So what's your source for rich people being happy?
Reply 49
So what's your source for rich people being happy?

The cost of living and common ****ing sense, something this forum seems to be lacking :facepalm:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/05/10/money-does-buy-happiness-says-new-study/
Reply 50
Original post by Rottweiler22
A general decline in traditional values, and a rise in the liberal, "do what makes you feel good" attitude.

Obviously I can only take into consideration my experiences, but in terms of the drinking, etc, i come from a working class area, and it's just what's expected of you. If you stay in on a Saturday night, then your considered to be "weird", and "have no life". Not to mention that the working class seems to put value on casual sex and drug taking, to the point that the more girls you have slept with, the more of a "legend" you are. A lot of young people nowadays have dead-end jobs, not much of a future, and a big blow-off at the weekend is what their lives evolve around. The majority of my friends are like this, effectively "living to go out".

On the other hand, we didn't know about such working class depravities until social media became widespread. It's probably always been the same, apart from social media just helps to broadcast it more. I know the generation above me did a hell of a lot of drinking, sleeping around and drug taking. If for example, the infamous Magalluf oral sex incident happened 15 years ago, it would have been simple urban legend, and they only people who would have known about it, would have been those in the pub. Because it was 2014, was captured on a smartphone and put on social media within hours, the whole world can see how "depraved" people have become. My point is, the working class has probably been the same, but nowadays it just seems worse, because every moment is so easily captured and broadcasted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reading replies like this make me hopeful that the middle class do still exist. I think you're right though to an extent. I believe it was probably around the 70's, the era of "free love & drugs", where it all started going downhill. Getting work was easy, and apparently being easy & getting off your face became fashionable, and just as opium dens offered a way of escapism generations ago, these two types of opium have yet to be socially shunned, probably because too many people are doing it and therefore do not want to let it go.
The whole class system is for narcissists, just like yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geoking
The cost of living and common ****ing sense, something this forum seems to be lacking :facepalm:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/05/10/money-does-buy-happiness-says-new-study/

Not all of life's problems are to do with money.
Not sure if trollious

Bring back the feudal order I say. I'm going to be a Baron and **** on my token jester while drinking mead from the mines of Moria.
Also I find it laughable that you think that there's no middle class LAD culture. Have you seen The Riot Club?

You forget that even Nelson wouldn't be partial to a bit of sharking…cos he's an ADMIRAL amirite???
Reply 55
Not all of life's problems are to do with money.

"Let's ignore the study and make a general, vague and pointless comment".

Er, okay? Or are you going to focus on the outliers like I predicted earlier? :rolleyes:
Reply 56
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Also I find it laughable that you think that there's no middle class LAD culture. Have you seen The Riot Club?

You forget that even Nelson wouldn't be partial to a bit of sharking…cos he's an ADMIRAL amirite???

That's not middle class. Thats the hedonistic upper class :facepalm:
Reply 57
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
The whole class system is for narcissists, just like yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And another bitter comment that doesn't deal with what I actually said. Congratulations but anyone with a pentagram avatar can't be taken seriously can they? :wink:
Original post by geoking
Has the middle class in this country died? Nowadays where you live can no longer really be used to separate the working class from the middle class due to exploding house prices seen in the 80's onwards, something more prominent down south than up north. Therefore what separates one class from the other is attitude and behaviours, which leads me to ask, where the **** is the middle class?

It seems that working class mentality of having no shame, no dignity, no decorum and so on is taking over. People are happy to spend every weekend getting wasted, **** a stranger and smoke a joint. Well that sort of behaviour is far from dignified and really the result of emotionally insecure people looking for a quick fix to their miserable lives.

Where are the people who actually possess self-respect, manners and dignity? Ones who don't believe that happiness is at the bottom of a pint glass, that looking like an unshaven tramp isn't acceptable, nor is a woman acting like "one of the lads"? Are we living in a country that has done away with the best of British manners and is replacing it with a hedonistic, quick-fix society of emotionally immature, insecure adults?

At your service

:hat:
Original post by geoking
That's not middle class. Thats the hedonistic upper class :facepalm:

Nah m8 not everyone who goes to Oxbridge is upper class.

Nelson was just a joke trying to show how your 'elite sensibilities' are really not shared even by your fellow…middle classpeople :redface: 'admiral' 'shark'-> he's on the sea geddit

Latest

Trending

Trending