The Student Room Group

GCSE selection advice for students wanting to pursue a medical career.

1] Do not pick a short course, even if there is not the option of doing the full course, don't bother wasting your time on it, it is not considered by any universities [for medicine].

2] Do not do any OCR nationals, again, it is not considered by any universities. Distinctions do not equate to A*/A's.

3] Do not do GCSE further maths if you have already done GCSE maths, only one will be considered.

4] Pick subjects which you can get A*'s in.

5] If you have a double science award already [e.g. A*A*] and considering doing triple science, only do this if you know you can get at least A*A*A. Otherwise you'll be losing precious A*'s.

6] English language is very important, so prioritise this if need be, in order to get that A or A*.

You want to be aiming for 6+ A*'s in order to be a competitive applicant, so don't waste your time on subjects or qualifications that are not considered.

Peace.
I don't think what GCSE's you do matter too much as long as you get at least 6 A*'s or higher. To my knowledge all GCSE's are considered and 2 short courses count as 1 GCSE
Short courses are considered for medicine.
Reply 2
Short courses are still counted by the majority of universities, and I could be wrong on this one as I didn't do it, but I thought further maths was counted at GCSE just not A Level? At least that's what we were told by a university lecturer. I could be wrong though

The rest of your advice is really useful though, especially the point about English Language! I think lots of people just 'write it off' as they think it is irrelevant, but it really isn't! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by emem2011
Short courses are still counted by the majority of universities, and I could be wrong on this one as I didn't do it, but I thought further maths was counted at GCSE just not A Level? At least that's what we were told by a university lecturer. I could be wrong though

The rest of your advice is really useful though, especially the point about English Language! I think lots of people just 'write it off' as they think it is irrelevant, but it really isn't! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that's true, further maths is only not counted at a level :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Crystalz
I don't think what GCSE's you do matter too much as long as you get at least 6 A*'s or higher. To my knowledge all GCSE's are considered and 2 short courses count as 1 GCSE
Short courses are considered for medicine.

The uni's which I've researched so far don't consider them, the only one I can think of is Liverpool who give short courses half points, but I could be wrong :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by emem2011

Posted from TSR Mobile

All of my points are from experience, so I'm just trying to warn people to not make the same mistakes I made :wink:. Regarding GCSE mathematics, only one is counted, but again I'm only basing this on the uni's which I've researched/ applied to. Thanks :smile:
Original post by M!lad
The uni's which I've researched so far don't consider them, the only one I can think of is Liverpool who give short courses half points, but I could be wrong :rolleyes:

I wanted to do medicine at one point, nearly every uni I checked counted them as a half, st george's, kings, ucl or count them as halves I can't speak for all of them though
Reply 7
Original post by Crystalz
I wanted to do medicine at one point, nearly every uni I checked counted them as a half, st george's, kings, ucl or count them as halves I can't speak for all of them though

Ahh fair enough, I didn't look into any of those uni's, so you're probs right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending