The Student Room Group

Best EDs in London for students?

Hi guys!

(I hope I'm posting in the right place as I haven't actually been on TSR since 2010 when I obsessively stalked the applicants threads to see when offers were coming out :P)

I'm a 4th year Peninsula student, hoping to intercalate in Plymouth's Urgent and Emergency Care BSc next academic year. This involves a 9 month placement in an ED of my choice, and I would quite like to go home to London. They currently have links with The Royal London and St George's, but you can ask them to try and get you a placement at any ED in the country.

So my question is, for any students who've had placements in London EDs, which ones have been the best? I'm interested in trauma, but I also like minors and majors stuff and would ideally love a year of hands on history taking and skills practising if I can wangle it!

Thank you!
I have no idea but... a 9 month placement?! Holy ****.
Reply 2
RLH is utterly outrageous and you won't see trauma like that anywhere else in London. [Georges and Marys don't have the same vol of penetrating as far as I'm aware and RLH is home base for HEMS]
Original post by buzzlogic
RLH is utterly outrageous and you won't see trauma like that anywhere else in London. [Georges and Marys don't have the same vol of penetrating as far as I'm aware and RLH is home base for HEMS]

Home to London's air ambulance, The Royal London is also one of the capital's leading trauma and emergency care centres and hyper-acute stroke centres.

http://www.bartshealth.nhs.uk/our-hospitals/the-royal-london-hospital/

www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP14-22.pdf

Page 15 2.4 NHS Trusts by attendance - Barts Health is the busiest
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
RLH is the place for major trauma (though I wouldn't ignore any of the other MTCs - King's, George's and Mary's). However, everyone knows this, and I get the impression that you'd be jostling with quite a few other med students, junior docs and PHEM wannabes. Not sure how good your experience of A&E as a whole vs just major trauma would be.

9 months is a really long time! What else do you have to do for this BSc?
Reply 5
Yeah, definitely plenty of people knocking around at trauma calls. Still see a lot of incredible stuff (reboa, thoracotomies etc), and there are some fantastic clinicians who you'd learn a lot off. Not sure how the overall A+E experience is though, as I only ever go to trauma call/code reds.
I would definitely go for the Royal London if you want exciting dramatic stuff. Although 9 months of a single placement does sound a bit excessive to me as well! I consider anything over a month to be pretty long! :P

Otherwise I think you'll find all the A&Es are probably quite similar. Obviously smaller hospitals will have more piddly A&E departments.
Original post by Helenia
RLH is the place for major trauma (though I wouldn't ignore any of the other MTCs - King's, George's and Mary's). However, everyone knows this, and I get the impression that you'd be jostling with quite a few other med students, junior docs and PHEM wannabes. Not sure how good your experience of A&E as a whole vs just major trauma would be.

9 months is a really long time! What else do you have to do for this BSc?

I get that impression as well, I do know someone who managed ot get a very none standard elective at the RLH, but she was a Sheffield Student ( Gareth D is a sheffield Graduate) and she had a load of prehospital experience ( including working with yours truely when she was a A level student and baby med student) and she'd all ready intercalated by that point with a strong pre-hospital bias - and was a well known name and face across pre-hospital care and the Ambulance service medical director world ).

I do wonder if splitting your time between an ED and the Medical Director 's Office of one of the ambulance services might not be an idea (and if you got the chance to get your D2 via the ambulance service it would be a useful thing to have if you have ambitions for immediate care work in the future)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
I get that impression as well, I do know someone who managed ot get a very none standard elective at the RLH, but she was a Sheffield Student ( Gareth D is a sheffield Graduate) and she had a load of prehospital experience ( including working with yours truely when she was a A level student and baby med student) and she'd all ready intercalated by that point with a strong pre-hospital bias - and was a well known name and face across pre-hospital care and the Ambulance service medical director world ).

I do wonder if splitting your time between an ED and the Medical Director 's Office of one of the ambulance services might not be an idea (and if you got the chance to get your D2 via the ambulance service it would be a useful thing to have if you have ambitions for immediate care work in the future)

You can do an elective with the London air ambulance which includes lots of pre hospital placements with the PRU and night hems car, as well as all RLH ed placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by carcinoma
You can do an elective with the London air ambulance which includes lots of pre hospital placements with the PRU and night hems car, as well as all RLH ed placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes there's the 'HEMS 'elective and then there's the elective this very capable person got ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending