The Student Room Group

Don't want to go on holiday with my family

I'm worried that I might get bad mock grades so I don't feel that it's right that I should go on holiday during these christmas holidays! I don't want to miss Christmas day either! My parents are so sneaky! They said if I get bad grades in my mocks then they would cancel it so I agreed! So now that they have booked it they said they are going on holiday no matter what! Those sneaky bastards! What should I do! I'm almost in tears about this! I'm not mature for my age yet due to "issues" (personal problems that I prefer not to say) so I can't stay at home! Either I ruin it by behaving badly or I secretly cancel it beforehand! What shall I do?!?!?!?
What sort of holiday are they going on? Why can't you spend Christmas day outside of home for once?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm worried that I might get bad mock grades so I don't feel that it's right that I should go on holiday during these christmas holidays! I don't want to miss Christmas day either! My parents are so sneaky! They said if I get bad grades in my mocks then they would cancel it so I agreed! So now that they have booked it they said they are going on holiday no matter what! Those sneaky bastards! What should I do! I'm almost in tears about this! I'm not mature for my age yet due to "issues" (personal problems that I prefer not to say) so I can't stay at home! Either I ruin it by behaving badly or I secretly cancel it beforehand! What shall I do?!?!?!?

No reason you can't take your books with you and study whilst on holiday. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.
Reply 3
Original post by SophieSmall
No reason you can't take your books with you and study whilst on holiday. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

I have concentration issues and I work on an all or nothing basis. And how do I fit christmas presents and books? I want to be home during christmas day and this is now the 4th year in a row my parents have ****ing done this.
I have concentration issues and I work on an all or nothing basis. And how do I fit christmas presents and books? I want to be home during christmas day and this is now the 4th year in a row my parents have ****ing done this.

Then that is maybe something you need to work on, no point just saying you can't study there. You may as well at least try. Take an extra luggage bag, if your parents can afford to take you on holiday for Christmas they can definitely afford an extra bag for books. Even still you could take books on your plane carry on and read on the plane. I understand concentration issues, I have them too, but you need to at least try to change your study habits and your ability to concentrate.

I can understand your frustration but getting worked up over it and swearing about it will change nothing. All it will do is further work you up.
Reply 5
Then that is maybe something you need to work on, no point just saying you can't study there. You may as well at least try. Take an extra luggage bag, if your parents can afford to take you on holiday for Christmas they can definitely afford an extra bag for books. Even still you could take books on your plane carry on and read on the plane. I understand concentration issues, I have them too, but you need to at least try to change your study habits and your ability to concentrate.

I can understand your frustration but getting worked up over it and swearing about it will change nothing. All it will do is further work you up.

Me and my parents have made a few compromises, they will let me have a christmas present to take there (I don't know what just yet) and since Morocco is a muslim country my mum let me take 5 packets of crispy bacon since they won't serve bacon in the hotels (due to religion). And my concentration issue is ADHD. I find it extremely difficult to focus without medication and the surroundings would distract me too much and I can't spend my time revising in the hotel!
Maybe do all your study before you go on holiday?
Me and my parents have made a few compromises, they will let me have a christmas present to take there (I don't know what just yet) and since Morocco is a muslim country my mum let me take 5 packets of crispy bacon since they won't serve bacon in the hotels (due to religion). And my concentration issue is ADHD. I find it extremely difficult to focus without medication and the surroundings would distract me too much and I can't spend my time revising in the hotel!

Are you not on medication for your ADHD? If not I'd recommend going to your doctor and talking about being put on it, if you are on medication then that;s not much of an excuse to say you can't when not on medication...just take your meds.

Why can;'t you study in the hotel room?

I don't mean to sound harsh but it's just excuses.
Reply 8
Are you not on medication for your ADHD? If not I'd recommend going to your doctor and talking about being put on it, if you are on medication then that;s not much of an excuse to say you can't when not on medication...just take your meds.

Why can;'t you study in the hotel room?

I don't mean to sound harsh but it's just excuses.

I only take it at school. Methylphenidate hydrochloride is horrible. It makes me feel like an emotionless zombie with anger problems. I cannot bear it if I'm not at school using it. And the paeditrician said I should not take it during holidays so I can catch up with my growth since my meds slow down my growth.
I only take it at school. Methylphenidate hydrochloride is horrible. It makes me feel like an emotionless zombie with anger problems. I cannot bear it if I'm not at school using it. And the paeditrician said I should not take it during holidays so I can catch up with my growth since my meds slow down my growth.

Then you may want to discuss with your GP possible changing your medication type.

Even still, just take your books on holiday and at least try otherwise you're complaining for nothing.
Then you may want to discuss with your GP possible changing your medication type.

Even still, just take your books on holiday and at least try otherwise you're complaining for nothing.

NHS is my GP so I'm not sure if they would prescribe Vyvanse which uses lisdexafetamine dimesylate which is a newer and expensive drug so I will ask if they have it. But I wasn't planning on taking my meds. The reason I don't want to go is because I want to be home for Christmas day.
NHS is my GP so I'm not sure if they would prescribe Vyvanse which uses lisdexafetamine dimesylate which is a newer and expensive drug so I will ask if they have it. But I wasn't planning on taking my meds. The reason I don't want to go is because I want to be home for Christmas day.

Well then that is a completely separate issue to what your original post seemed to convey. Can't really help you there.
Well then that is a completely separate issue to what your original post seemed to convey. Can't really help you there.

Well both were my issues, one was kind of sorted but the other one isn't completely sorted.
Well both were my issues, one was kind of sorted but the other one isn't completely sorted.

I'm afraid you don't have very many options, talk to your parents about how you feel, be calm and rational about it, don't shout, strop or start to cry in anger or frustration as they (quite rightly) won't take you seriously but don't expect to get your way either. Life isn't always fair.
Reply 14
Go with ur family, enjoy ur time and make lots of memories. You never know when these memories are going to be the only thing we have of our loved ones.
I'll go instead.
it's mocks... jesus
Original post by Joshale
it's mocks... jesus

Those would be my predicted grades to go to my college/sixth form though.
Those would be my predicted grades to go to my college/sixth form though.

Colleges and sixth forms don't care anywhere near as much as universities for mock grades. You will in all likelihood still get a place at the college or sixth form you want even if you don't do so great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending