The Student Room Group

UEA, Sheffield or Liverpool for Psychology?

I have a conditional offer from both the University of Liverpool and the University of East Anglia - I'm just waiting on Sheffield :frown:
EDIT: Sheffield rejected me. :frown:
I really don't know which of these uni's I wanna go to, and it would be so helpful if anyone, preferably if you have applied to these uni's too, to give me some advice? Or any previous students that have been to these uni's. I'm just stressed out about wanting to move out and I don't know much about what the areas are like, social life etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not actually a student at any of these (have accepted another uni) but I did apply to and visit UEA. I really liked the campus, the park it was situated in was beautiful, the sport facilities looked really good, and I even liked the architecture (even though I'm a stickler for old buildings). It's a bit of a concrete jungle, but the Ziggurats (pyramid like buildings) are strangely beautiful, and as a whole it felt welcoming and was easy to navigate. Also, Norwich is a lovely place, if you like pubs, old buildings and markets (which, incidentally, I do). Friends who go there have said the club scene in Norwich is a bit quiet, but this is made up for by the events on campus. In the end, it was just a bit too far from home for me.

I don't know much about the other two, other than that Liverpool is another lovely, if very different, city. The overall league tables (TCUG and Guardian) rank UEA above Sheffield and Liverpool, but this may be different for whichever subject you're doing. And league tables provide limited information really, if you're genuinely torn between these places based on your initial impressions, you need to go and visit them in order to truly assess their merits (assuming you haven't already visited), in relation to what you want from a uni.

Good luck!
Reply 2
I graduated at Uni of Liverpool and I can't reccomend it enough! I was at another university that I despised (I won't say which) but I transferred to UoL and loved it. Everyone just seemed to be so motivated to do well and it was great. The lecturers were incredibly accessible and easy to approach if you had an issue. They run an internship scheme in 2nd year, which I did and offered great experience. I could go on for ages, but I really liked it.

I would recommend getting accommodation in the city centre though, as opposed to UoL accommodation which tends to be further out.
Reply 3
Original post by meowoof
I'm not actually a student at any of these (have accepted another uni) but I did apply to and visit UEA. I really liked the campus, the park it was situated in was beautiful, the sport facilities looked really good, and I even liked the architecture (even though I'm a stickler for old buildings). It's a bit of a concrete jungle, but the Ziggurats (pyramid like buildings) are strangely beautiful, and as a whole it felt welcoming and was easy to navigate. Also, Norwich is a lovely place, if you like pubs, old buildings and markets (which, incidentally, I do). Friends who go there have said the club scene in Norwich is a bit quiet, but this is made up for by the events on campus. In the end, it was just a bit too far from home for me.

I don't know much about the other two, other than that Liverpool is another lovely, if very different, city. The overall league tables (TCUG and Guardian) rank UEA above Sheffield and Liverpool, but this may be different for whichever subject you're doing. And league tables provide limited information really, if you're genuinely torn between these places based on your initial impressions, you need to go and visit them in order to truly assess their merits (assuming you haven't already visited), in relation to what you want from a uni.

Good luck!

Thanks so much :smile: UEA definitely sounds lovely and I'm going to their applicant day for psychology in february :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by o-glez
I graduated at Uni of Liverpool and I can't reccomend it enough! I was at another university that I despised (I won't say which) but I transferred to UoL and loved it. Everyone just seemed to be so motivated to do well and it was great. The lecturers were incredibly accessible and easy to approach if you had an issue. They run an internship scheme in 2nd year, which I did and offered great experience. I could go on for ages, but I really liked it.

I would recommend getting accommodation in the city centre though, as opposed to UoL accommodation which tends to be further out.

thank you :smile: do you mind me asking which course you graduated from. Just curious :smile: I was planning on staying on campus if I go to UoL because it'd be easier for me. I'm not really sure what you mean by 'further out' :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by howyoudoin
thank you :smile: do you mind me asking which course you graduated from. Just curious :smile: I was planning on staying on campus if I go to UoL because it'd be easier for me. I'm not really sure what you mean by 'further out' :confused:

Not at all, I studied psychology. I thought that was implied for some reason (and I also assumed you were telepathic :tongue: )

Well basically you can either live in city centre accommodation which in some cases is literally right next to the university or within at least a 10minute walk. Or you can opt for accommodation in the 'Aigburth' or 'Smithdown' areas of Liverpool which you'll need to get a bus to, especially the former. They tend to be owned by UoL, and most are fully catered, if that's something that appeals to you. But they seem to be a bit more expensive.
Reply 6
Original post by o-glez
Not at all, I studied psychology. I thought that was implied for some reason (and I also assumed you were telepathic :tongue: )

Well basically you can either live in city centre accommodation which in some cases is literally right next to the university or within at least a 10minute walk. Or you can opt for accommodation in the 'Aigburth' or 'Smithdown' areas of Liverpool which you'll need to get a bus to, especially the former. They tend to be owned by UoL, and most are fully catered, if that's something that appeals to you. But they seem to be a bit more expensive.

hahaha :biggrin:
The city centre accommodation is a much better choice for me since I wanna be right next to the university. I really don't wanna have to travel on a bus everyday :tongue:
Liverpool is slightly better regarded by employers and academia due to it's Russell Group status, but UEA is pretty good. Norwich is a much nicer place than Liverpool.
Reply 8
hahaha :biggrin:
The city centre accommodation is a much better choice for me since I wanna be right next to the university. I really don't wanna have to travel on a bus everyday :tongue:

Plus you're a lot closer to the night life! And the shops and what not. Although there is a huge Asda in the Smithdown area. If you go private (as opposed to uni accommodation) you might be able to find a room for £70pw
Reply 9
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Liverpool is slightly better regarded by employers and academia due to it's Russell Group status, but UEA is pretty good. Norwich is a much nicer place than Liverpool.

I definitely agree. I don't just want to go to Liverpool because of its 'good reputation' and it being respected because it's a Russell group uni blah blah so I don't want that to be the main reason for going to UoL. One of my teachers at sixth form is from Norwich and he said its a great place too (probably because he's from Norwich himself :wink:). Would you say Liverpool is a nice place too? In terms of different places to visit, shop, eat etc.
Reply 10
Original post by o-glez
Plus you're a lot closer to the night life! And the shops and what not. Although there is a huge Asda in the Smithdown area. If you go private (as opposed to uni accommodation) you might be able to find a room for £70pw

I'm not one for going out a lot but since uni will be a new experience I'm gonna have to get off my lazy ass :biggrin: I'm also gonna have to look more into accommodation because I'm really baffled right now. Thank god it's only November so I still have time to research and decide.
Reply 11
I definitely agree. I don't just want to go to Liverpool because of its 'good reputation' and it being respected because it's a Russell group uni blah blah so I don't want that to be the main reason for going to UoL. One of my teachers at sixth form is from Norwich and he said its a great place too (probably because he's from Norwich himself :wink:). Would you say Liverpool is a nice place too? In terms of different places to visit, shop, eat etc.

I'm a bit biased as I lived in Liverpool for 4 years and I've never been to Norwich.
But honestly you're spoilt for choice when it comes to shopping! Liverpool takes some beating for a night out as well. Medication is legendary. Its an extremely student friendly place also. Plenty of part time work also. You're only an hour away from Manchester too on the train, and there's the Cheshire Oakes shopping centre too. I keep mentioning public transport because you don't need a car if you're a student in Liverpool

Liverpool is not ''nice'' like Cardiff or Birmingham. It is like Nottingham or Leicester. I'd choose UEA over Liverpool as both are top 30 level universities, but if it was Birmingham vs UEA I'd say Birmingham as it is one of the better Russell Group unis.

Liverpool is rough, but to be fair that doesn't matter at all as a student.
(edited 9 years ago)
my friend in her final year at uea doing psychology and she doesn't rate it much - can't wait to leave.
I'm also at uea doing French and again, I'd avoid it.

The campus is nice enough, but other than that we've both had experiences with slow and badly organised hubs and courses. My accommodation was a complete rip off for what it was.

If it wasn't for the debt I would have dropped out by now for sure.
Everyone on my course who I've asked does wonder where this great student satisfaction reputation came from cos we're not feeling it.

On the plus, Norwich is a very nice place to live; as long as you're not a student at UEA
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
Liverpool is not ''nice'' like Cardiff or Birmingham. It is like Nottingham or Leicester. I'd choose UEA over Liverpool as both are top 30 level universities, but if it was Birmingham vs UEA I'd say Birmingham as it is one of the better Russell Group unis.

Liverpool is rough, but to be fair that doesn't matter at all as a student.

I disagree that Liverpool is rough. OK, don't get me wrong there are rough parts of the city that are economically deprived and have seen better days. But the city centre and the student bits are thriving and very safe
Reply 15
Original post by Kaylaleigh
my friend in her final year at uea doing psychology and she doesn't rate it much - can't wait to leave.
I'm also at uea doing French and again, I'd avoid it.

The campus is nice enough, but other than that we've both had experiences with slow and badly organised hubs and courses. My accommodation was a complete rip off for what it was.

If it wasn't for the debt I would have dropped out by now for sure.
Everyone on my course who I've asked does wonder where this great student satisfaction reputation came from cos we're not feeling it.

On the plus, Norwich is a very nice place to live; as long as you're not a student at UEA

Oh dear :frown: I'm really sorry to hear that you're not having the best experience. I'm going to have to see the uni and course for myself on an applicant day because it's really confusing when some people are saying it's great and some are saying it's not. I appreciate you sharing your personal experience though :smile:
Oh dear :frown: I'm really sorry to hear that you're not having the best experience. I'm going to have to see the uni and course for myself on an applicant day because it's really confusing when some people are saying it's great and some are saying it's not. I appreciate you sharing your personal experience though :smile:

It is all down to personal experience so definitely come down! I think the best thing to do is find students doing your course and ask them - although not ambassadors because they're paid to tell everyone how great uea is :tongue:

I also think languages at UEA is a very very poorly run department which is losing funding so I could just be bitter:rolleyes:
Reply 17
Original post by o-glez
I disagree that Liverpool is rough. OK, don't get me wrong there are rough parts of the city that are economically deprived and have seen better days. But the city centre and the student bits are thriving and very safe

Well I live in London and certain areas can also be quite rough - although I'm not sure if it's the same 'rough' which people seem to be describing Liverpool as. As long as I'm safe in the uni area then it's fine. :u:
I have a conditional offer from both the University of Liverpool and the University of East Anglia - I'm just waiting on Sheffield :frown:
EDIT: Sheffield rejected me. :frown:
I really don't know which of these uni's I wanna go to, and it would be so helpful if anyone, preferably if you have applied to these uni's too, to give me some advice? Or any previous students that have been to these uni's. I'm just stressed out about wanting to move out and I don't know much about what the areas are like, social life etc.

hey there,
I went for an open day to Liverpool and i come from London. From my Experience Liverpool is preety good and from my reseach it is one of the best universityes for medicne which is closly linked with your course...psycology. its also a russel group uni so Id pick that personally. However if you want a good social/nighlife like myself i wouldnt recomened it as much as it seemed quite dull and the atmospehere in the high streets was quite in comparisoned to were i come from. when i inialy done my research it was said liverpool is the 3rd best for nightlife but without the people it wouldnt be so great. i went to concert square the main centre of attraction for nighlife where there are 5 or 6 clubs which me and a mate went to but there was barely anyone in there and it was just dull..so yeh thats about it....id still pick Liverpool over UAE because overall liverpool is better i think..
anyways best wishes :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by imdumbuneedhelp
hey there,
I went for an open day to Liverpool and i come from London. From my Experience Liverpool is preety good and from my reseach it is one of the best universityes for medicne which is closly linked with your course...psycology. its also a russel group uni so Id pick that personally. However if you want a good social/nighlife like myself i wouldnt recomened it as much as it seemed quite dull and the atmospehere in the high streets was quite in comparisoned to were i come from. when i inialy done my research it was said liverpool is the 3rd best for nightlife but without the people it wouldnt be so great. i went to concert square the main centre of attraction for nighlife where there are 5 or 6 clubs which me and a mate went to but there was barely anyone in there and it was just dull..so yeh thats about it....id still pick Liverpool over UAE because overall liverpool is better i think..
anyways best wishes :smile:

Thanks. What about the atmosphere of the uni itself like the students, living on campus etc, since you said the actually city is quite dull.

Quick Reply

Latest