The Student Room Group

Heat Transfer help

cant do this question.

first task is to find out the rate of heat transfer. i belive i use the equation in purple.

i know change in temp
i know Ho

I need to find the area

am I right in trying to find the thickness of the tube? If so not sure how :frown:
Reply 1
Before we can splash you the answer we need evidence that you've attempted this.
Reply 2
Original post by Alchemise
Before we can splash you the answer we need evidence that you've attempted this.

It's all in color?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The question asks to find the heat transfer per unit length (which is presumably metres), therefore use a length of 1 and find your area from that.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
The question asks to find the heat transfer per unit length (which is presumably metres), therefore use a length of 1 and find your area from that.

Yep but don't I need to know thickness of the tube as well? To find the outside diameter of insulation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Blade
Yep but don't I need to know thickness of the tube as well? To find the outside diameter of insulation

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've made a mistake in your sketch. From what I see, there are only two layers in the tube: the insulation and the steel.
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
You've made a mistake in your sketch. From what I see, there are only two layers in the tube: the insulation and the steel.

Hmm not sure howd I draw the sketch. Should the white in the middle be in red

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doesn't matter, as long as it's clear in your sketch that the tube has two layers, not three.

You're given all the dimensions required to calculate the rate of heat transfer. Hint: the insulation is given as 50 mm thick.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
Doesn't matter, as long as it's clear in your sketch that the tube has two layers, not three.

You're given all the dimensions required to calculate the rate of heat transfer. Hint: the insulation is given as 50 mm thick.

ok the so to work out the area of this multi layered tube i need is:

A = pi x (outside diameter of insulation) x L

L=1 so just need ODi (outside diameter of insulation)

to work out ODi is

inside diameter of tube + 2(thickness of insulation and steel)??
Yes.
Reply 10
ok the so to work out the area of this multi layered tube i need is:

A = pi x (outside diameter of insulation) x L

L=1 so just need ODi (outside diameter of insulation)

to work out ODi is

inside outside diameter of tube + 2(thickness of insulation and steel)??

Original post by Smack
Yes.

i dont think it worked out. i think the change above is correct? but i do not know how to work out outside diameter of pipe :/
i dont think it worked out. i think the change above is correct? but i do not know how to work out outside diameter of pipe :/

No, the OD of a tube/pipe is the ID plus two times the wall thickness. Draw a sketch of the cross section and see for yourself.
Reply 12
Original post by Smack
No, the OD of a tube/pipe is the ID plus two times the wall thickness. Draw a sketch of the cross section and see for yourself.

thanks for the reassurance!

but what have i done wrong
I don't know, I'd have to have a right look at the question and it would also be handy if I knew what the answer was as well.
Reply 14
Original post by Smack
I don't know, I'd have to have a right look at the question and it would also be handy if I knew what the answer was as well.

Ah okay thanks anyway. I know the answer btw but not solution

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest