The Student Room Group

Fallen in love with my friends with benefits

I've accidentally fallen in love with my friends with benefits. In fact, I wouldn't even use the term "friends with benefits" because he only ever comes over for sex and when we text, 90% of it is sexting. We'll chat for a bit when he comes over, but that's it as far as non-sexual.

I never meant for it to be like this. But I can't bring myself to stop. Everytime he leaves my place I say to myself "That was the last time" but I just can't stop seeing him. I think about him almost all day everyday, and when I think about how he'll never feel the same way and how he could find someone serious at any minute, my heart breaks a little more.
I thought I could handle a casual relationship. But the way he always wants to cuddle, how nice he is in general and how good the sex is, it's just gotten to me, I think.

Does anyone have any advice for how to get over it and stop seeing him?
Original post by Anonymous
I've accidentally fallen in love with my friends with benefits. In fact, I wouldn't even use the term "friends with benefits" because he only ever comes over for sex and when we text, 90% of it is sexting. We'll chat for a bit when he comes over, but that's it as far as non-sexual.

I never meant for it to be like this. But I can't bring myself to stop. Everytime he leaves my place I say to myself "That was the last time" but I just can't stop seeing him. I think about him almost all day everyday, and when I think about how he'll never feel the same way and how he could find someone serious at any minute, my heart breaks a little more.
I thought I could handle a casual relationship. But the way he always wants to cuddle, how nice he is in general and how good the sex is, it's just gotten to me, I think.

In your honest opinion, how do you think he feels about this? Do you think he has any feelings for you?
This is difficult because its not easy to speak to someone youre merely just in a sexual relationship with. What do you usually talk about when its non sexual?

If he is nice in general then maybe it wouldnt be a bad thing to talk to him about this. How do you think he'd react?
Reply 2
Original post by Emily.97
In your honest opinion, how do you think he feels about this? Do you think he has any feelings for you?
This is difficult because its not easy to speak to someone youre merely just in a sexual relationship with. What do you usually talk about when its non sexual?

If he is nice in general then maybe it wouldnt be a bad thing to talk to him about this. How do you think he'd react?

I'm not entirely sure. We never really established what it was, but he said maybe 2 months ago that he wasn't looking for a girlfriend. When we talk about non-sexual things it's just a general chat about how I am and what I've been up to. He does say he misses me sometimes. He was also apparently disappointed when I said I was seeing other people and often asks me about other people I'm seeing.
But from the type of person he is I have a feeling he's just being polite. He said he doesn't want a girlfriend, and if he wanted me to be something more then he would ask me to do something with him that wasn't sexual. He'll never be over for more than 2 hours and he wouldn't start talking to me if it wasn't going to lead to sexting.

If I told him this, I think he would probably say that he was sorry for making me feel this way and probably stop seeing me.
Reply 3

If I told him this, I think he would probably say that he was sorry for making me feel this way and probably stop seeing me.

That's your solution then. He may even surprise you (though I doubt it and you should not expect it). All you have to lose is face, but that won't matter if you won't see him again.
I'm not entirely sure. We never really established what it was, but he said maybe 2 months ago that he wasn't looking for a girlfriend. When we talk about non-sexual things it's just a general chat about how I am and what I've been up to. He does say he misses me sometimes. He was also apparently disappointed when I said I was seeing other people and often asks me about other people I'm seeing.
But from the type of person he is I have a feeling he's just being polite. He said he doesn't want a girlfriend, and if he wanted me to be something more then he would ask me to do something with him that wasn't sexual. He'll never be over for more than 2 hours and he wouldn't start talking to me if it wasn't going to lead to sexting.

What I put in bold- to me that suggets that some form of attachment has been formed, and there is an emotional bond there. That may sound obvious, but remember that he's only human and im sure hes had similar thoughts to you before.

The second bit in bold I'm not wholly convinced is true. Sometimes people don't act upon their feelings/thoughts. So dont be convinced that he's completely detached from you.
Hmm. This is a sticky situation isnt it? Do you see other people as in enter into relationships with others whilst sleeping with him?! I may have misinterpreted that, but I dont know what to say to that other than.. why?

So what do you want to do. Just continue a sexual relationship with him- or do you feel its not enough? Do you want to be with him? Are you willing to risk losing him by telling him how you feel?
Reply 5
What I put in bold- to me that suggets that some form of attachment has been formed, and there is an emotional bond there. That may sound obvious, but remember that he's only human and im sure hes had similar thoughts to you before.

The second bit in bold I'm not wholly convinced is true. Sometimes people don't act upon their feelings/thoughts. So dont be convinced that he's completely detached from you.
Hmm. This is a sticky situation isnt it? Do you see other people as in enter into relationships with others whilst sleeping with him?! I may have misinterpreted that, but I dont know what to say to that other than.. why?

So what do you want to do. Just continue a sexual relationship with him- or do you feel its not enough? Do you want to be with him? Are you willing to risk losing him by telling him how you feel?

I've slept with two people since seeing him, but neither of them led to anything. They were just one-offs. And the first guy was before I realised how I felt and with the second guy, I thought that seeing other people would keep the feels at bay (didn't work).
The last time I talked to him he hadn't seen anyone else but I don't know if this is still true.
I'm kind of okay with what we're doing at the moment, I'm just scared of him finding someone else and saying "I can't see you anymore, I've found someone special".
I've slept with two people since seeing him, but neither of them led to anything. They were just one-offs. And the first guy was before I realised how I felt and with the second guy, I thought that seeing other people would keep the feels at bay (didn't work).
The last time I talked to him he hadn't seen anyone else but I don't know if this is still true.
I'm kind of okay with what we're doing at the moment, I'm just scared of him finding someone else and saying "I can't see you anymore, I've found someone special".

Okay. Well i guess its up to you really. Like i say- is it worth risking losing him by telling him?
Reply 7
You have to be extremely careful how you do this but imo you have to tell him.

This will either lead to him having mutual feelings and a relationship starting or the FWB cutting off but you can't keep going on with it like this.
Reply 8
Original post by Widgeet
You have to be extremely careful how you do this but imo you have to tell him.

This will either lead to him having mutual feelings and a relationship starting or the FWB cutting off but you can't keep going on with it like this.

What do you mean by extremely careful?
Reply 9
What do you mean by extremely careful?

Make sure you phrase it in the correct way and don't make your FWB feel like your pressuring them into becoming a couple or anything etc.

Bring this up in an appropriate setting and when your ready to talk about it
Reply 10

Tell him that you're falling for him and he'll run for his life. Simple.
Okay. Well i guess its up to you really. Like i say- is it worth risking losing him by telling him?

Well since I completely feel like there's no chance of him reciprocating I feel like I tell him and definitely lose him, don't tell him and keep him close while hurting all the time, or find a way to distance myself from him without telling him the real reason. But I really don't know what to do.
Well since I completely feel like there's no chance of him reciprocating I feel like I tell him and definitely lose him, don't tell him and keep him close while hurting all the time, or find a way to distance myself from him without telling him the real reason. But I really don't know what to do.

Why are you so convinced that these feelings arent reciprocated? You don't seem completely happy in this sexual relationship, so i wouldnt advise just accepting it and continuing the intimacy.
Reply 13
Just tell him how you feel.

He will either say he feels the same and you can become serious, or he will say he does not want a relationship with you and then just stop seeing him, cut ALL contact, if he contacts you ignore him, and find someone who appreciates you for you.
Why are you so convinced that these feelings arent reciprocated? You don't seem completely happy in this sexual relationship, so i wouldnt advise just accepting it and continuing the intimacy.

Well, these are all stupid reasons, but:
I think the main thing would be that he's 22 and starting his adult life with his full time job, as are his friends, and I'm only 19 and still in university, scrounging off my parents so I just feel like he wouldn't even bother with me.
I know this is kind of stupid and overthinking a lot but it's also his reluctance to kiss me that makes me feel like that? Kissing to me is a pretty important way of expressing feelings and we've never kissed with tongue, but recently he's been barely kissing me at all.
Well, these are all stupid reasons, but:
I think the main thing would be that he's 22 and starting his adult life with his full time job, as are his friends, and I'm only 19 and still in university, scrounging off my parents so I just feel like he wouldn't even bother with me.
I know this is kind of stupid and overthinking a lot but it's also his reluctance to kiss me that makes me feel like that? Kissing to me is a pretty important way of expressing feelings and we've never kissed with tongue, but recently he's been barely kissing me at all.

Okay. Maybe you shouldnt be focusing on how he may feel and instead focus on whats best for you. Would you be happy being with someone whos at a different stage of their lives? Will this sexual relationship make you happy in the long term?
Too bad
That fact that:

- you mainly sext and have very genreal chit chat at best
- he's only over your place 2 hours at the most when you do
- he's not keen on kissing you
- and has explicitly told you he's not interested in a gf

yet somehow you feel like you're falling in love with him because he's 'nice' and gives you a cuddle now and then, tells me you're way too fragile and naive for a casual relationship. You're infatuated, not in love. Hooked on good sex.That is all.
So I braved up and decided to tell him when he came over last night.
And he said that he feels the same way.
But he's not sure how ready he is for a serious relationship so we're going to just go on some dates (without sleeping with each other at first) for a while and just see how things go!
I'm so glad I said something, thanks everyone. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending