The Student Room Group

Groningen University applicants 2015

Hello all! I'm thinking of applying for a BA in Spanish, French or Italian (english taught programmes). Anyone else thinking of applying to the university of Groningen? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a friend who's applying for Law at Groningen, and I was thinking of applying to English Language & Literature :smile:
Reply 2
i am thinking of applying Chemical engineering at Gronigen as well
Reply 3
How do you feel about it? Have you been to the Netherlands before? I haven't but i think it would be nice to see another country and its language!
Reply 4
Original post by anastas
How do you feel about it? Have you been to the Netherlands before? I haven't but i think it would be nice to see another country and its language!

I've never been there before either! Which is making me kind of nervous, because I don't know a single thing about the country or the language. I'll have time to read up on it if I get in, but for now it's still a kinda vague idea.
Reply 5
How do you all plan on funding your living costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Nerdz
I've never been there before either! Which is making me kind of nervous, because I don't know a single thing about the country or the language. I'll have time to read up on it if I get in, but for now it's still a kinda vague idea.

The university offers 50 hours of free classes of Dutch so that's a bonus! Do you know how strict they are regarding admissions?
Reply 7
Original post by Aph
How do you all plan on funding your living costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a uni students city and from what i've seen apart from the houses,the rest isn't that expensive :smile: Well, hopefully!
Original post by anastas
It's a uni students city and from what i've seen apart from the houses,the rest isn't that expensive :smile: Well, hopefully!

That does not answer the question.

Original post by anastas
The university offers 50 hours of free classes of Dutch so that's a bonus! Do you know how strict they are regarding admissions?

Starting from scratch? That is not likely to get you from zero to university level. British unis ask non-English speaking applicants to see exams for a reason. :redface:

Original post by Nerdz

Is your degree in English? If not, you might be screwed.
Reply 9
Original post by Juichiro
That does not answer the question.

The same way i'do if i was studying in the UK.
Original post by anastas
The same way i'do if i was studying in the UK.

Getting a grant from the government? I read on here that you can only get one if you have lived there for 5 consecutive years. I safely assume that does not apply to most people on this site.
Reply 11
Starting from scratch? That is not likely to get you from zero to university level. British unis ask non-English speaking applicants to see exams for a reason. :redface:

The courses are taught in english. The university also offers free classes to learn dutch but the courses are held in the english language. I don't get your last sentence.
Reply 12
Getting a grant from the government? I read on here that you can only get one if you have lived there for 5 consecutive years. I safely assume that does not apply to most people on this site.

I'm a EU student so even if i study in the UK i'm not eligible for grants, the only financial assistance i can have is the student loan.
Original post by anastas

Admissions can be quite strict on the subjects you studied but not necessarily the grades. For example if you want to study Chemistry you need to have studied Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A-Level but you only need to pass them - no specific grades required. However the more popular programmes like Medicine, you'll need to be able to show you're academically excellent to be in with a chance of getting a place.
Original post by Nerdz

We have Open Days throughout the year and a UK Open Day (Friday 10th April and Friday 30th October) where you can meet other UK students considering the move. You'll find out a lot more about the university and the country by coming along. We hope you can make it :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by University of Groningen
Admissions can be quite strict on the subjects you studied but not necessarily the grades. For example if you want to study Chemistry you need to have studied Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A-Level but you only need to pass them - no specific grades required. However the more popular programmes like Medicine, you'll need to be able to show you're academically excellent to be in with a chance of getting a place.

Thank you a lot for your help :smile:
I was looking at the economics and business economics degrees on English taught courses and couldn't find much on entry requirements. As a UK student I was wondering if you required A Level Maths? As I've studied Economics, English Literature, Geography and AS level Financial Studies. I have good GCSE Maths grades (A and B) but wasn't sure if not taking it at A level would prevent me from getting on to the degree course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LynseyMarie
I was looking at the economics and business economics degrees on English taught courses and couldn't find much on entry requirements. As a UK student I was wondering if you required A Level Maths? As I've studied Economics, English Literature, Geography and AS level Financial Studies. I have good GCSE Maths grades (A and B) but wasn't sure if not taking it at A level would prevent me from getting on to the degree course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,

Maths is usually a component for our business programmes however we often come across a lot of UK students who have opted to study business related courses instead. We recently had a UK open day where students got to speak to the faculties in more detail about these concerns and I believe it was being looked at further. Could you send me a private message with your email address and I'll follow up with you with what the outcome was :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any entrance test for getting admission in the "LLB in international and European law" course. If there, then what sort? And can you tell me how many places are there ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Hello! Is anybody interested in the International Relations & International Organizations (IRIO) course at Groningen?
Also, is a TOEFL test result required even if we're studying IB/A-levels internationally?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending