The Student Room Group

TSR's swear filter - have your say

Scroll to see replies

Give us an option to get rid of it. People swear. The kids and Uni reps entering this site have not come from a land of fairies and unicorns where everything is made of sugar and candy. They're familiar with swearing, have used expletives and are not offended by them.
Original post by sr90
It should be on by default, but there should also be an option for individual users to disable it. Its turned off in the private forums so that should be possible to do, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But if you quote someone in the private forums, it comes up as ****
By and large I think the swear filter has its rightful place on the site, but I think a toggle for switching the filter on and off could be a good idea. Although, if this would lead to firewalls and mobile providers blocking the site, then it's not worthwhile in my opinion.
Original post by OU Student
But if you quote someone in the private forums, it comes up as ****

Was not aware of that :tongue:

Can someone elaborate on "mobile providers blocking sites with swear words" please? Can't say I've ever had any problems like that (I'm with Orange\EE)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't really care either way, but sometimes someone's words will be censored and I'll spend a short while trying to guess what they were supposed to say :K:
Its fine how it is, I don't really mind bad language personally, but I do understand how removing it could lead to bullying
Reply 26
Let's keep the swear filter. If anything, it encourages people to be more creative with their insults.
Original post by furryface12
I'd keep it, as people can still swear if they want to but it's much less likely to upset anyone if it's been starred out. That said, iirc at my school TSR was blocked anyway.

That's why we are discussing the option to disable it. If you disable it you will see the unfiltered word but someone else only sees it if they chose to disable it themselves.

shooks you should reset the poll if people are voting to keep it based off this.
Back in the days of school I was in one of those places where for the younger years at least you'd get detention for being caught swearing or being on sites with swearing in it. As I was using TSR to help with my studies, I know that should the school have realised there was no swear filter they would not be happy.

That said, for the purpose of discussion having **** compared to f*** which most sites have even with an education focus, I can't see the major difference. However, you can see the issues with the second one. And for moderation purposes the second one could get so out of hand.

TLDR, keep it as it is
I'd keep it how it is.

If there were to be changes, I think maybe some words could be allowed. Things like **** for example.

p.s the word is a four letter word meaning poo.
I'd agree with a lot of the comments so far - keep the swear filter enabled by default, but have an option to switch it off.
Agree with all the posts suggesting users have the option to turn it off/on, but it's on by default.
Reply 32
Turn it ****ing off
I agree that there should be an option to leave it on or turn it off - except for the most offensive of words, where it should be enabled all the while.

And that it should also be turned on by default if accessed via a school, college or university based IP address.
With an opt out system, would there be a way of telling who has the filter turned on and who has it turned off?

I'd have thought that would have to be clear so people know who can understand their messages...
Original post by sliceofcake
I don't really care either way, but sometimes someone's words will be censored and I'll spend a short while trying to guess what they were supposed to say :K:

So true :colonhash: and then you realise it was a word such as "s_hit".
remove the _
Reply 36
On any other forum I'd argue it was perhaps unnecessary, but I see the schools and universities argument, so as a student forum, I'd say leave it as it is.
I agree with everyone saying it should be toggled by the user.
Well it's currently 16 to 10, 10 or 16 people that are conservative and 20 people who want a change, I advise all those who voted for complete removal to make a compromise and vote to make some changes, mainly making the filter on and off.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
It's fine as it is - this is a debate you've opened simply to pull attention away from the issues people actually want to discuss and have changed like the Chat forum and the reinstatement of neg rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending