The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Applicants 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jungykang
In the latest oxford email they said they'd contact us on the 3rd. (wednesday).

I didn't get this email - can someone please copy and paste the email from Oxford? :smile:
Original post by cannonball.
I didn't get this email - can someone please copy and paste the email from Oxford? :smile:

Acknowledgement of application to read Medicine (A100) at Oxford

This is to let you know that we have received your application to read Medicine on the standard course (A100) at Oxford for entry in 2015.

We would now like to explain what will happen to your application. At this stage, your forms are being handled centrally in the Medical Sciences Teaching Centre, not at your college of preference or allocation (should you have submitted an open application). Should you have any query relating to your application, please email us at [email protected].

Because we shall be interviewing approximately 3 candidates for each available place, we shall only be calling you to interview if we believe you have a good chance of being offered a place. We will draw up a short list of applicants for interview based primarily on your results in the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) that you should have registered to sit on 5 November, and, where available, your GCSE performance. Please see www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics for more information on the shortlisting process.
I am afraid we will not be able to consider applications from candidates who have not registered to take the BMAT test, or fail to sit the test. Please note that requests for any special considerations during the BMAT, for example due to illness, must be sent directly to Admissions Testing Service within 7 days of the test date. You can find further information at www.atsts.org.uk.. We shall be in touch with you separately by email if we have any difficulty locating BMAT registration details for you.

We will then send you a letter or email at the beginning of December (probably Wednesday 3rd December) to tell you whether or not you are on the interview short-list. We regret that it is not possible to advise you of short-listing decisions any earlier than this.

If you are on the short-list, you will be invited for interview at two colleges: one of which will be St Catherine's College (your college of preference or allocation), and a second which will be allocated to you randomly. An invitation letter will come from the college at which you will spend the first night, which may not be your college of preference or allocation. The college selectors will not be aware of your college preference at the time of the interviews (and please do not reveal it to them), and the order in which colleges see you will be arbitrary. You will be asked to be in Oxford for approximately 26 hours: either from around midday on Sunday 14 to early afternoon on Monday 15 December or from around midday on Monday 15 to early afternoon on Tuesday 16 December. You will spend the first afternoon and the night at one college, then move to the other college for the next morning. The number and format of interviews at each college may vary but the selection criteria, common to all Oxford colleges, is described in our prospectus, and available at:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/courses/preclin/entryreqs/criteria

Note for International candidates: Please ensure that you have the necessary paperwork (such as a visa, if you require one) now to travel to Oxford on the dates above. Short-listing decisions are not communicated until the beginning of December (by email). If you require any assistance from the university in obtaining such documents please do let us know ASAP by emailing [email protected].

It is not possible to offer interviews on alternative dates. If you are not available for interview on these dates, please let us know as soon as possible, and we will not consider your application further.

If we can be of any help by clarifying our procedures or providing you with further information or advice, please don’t hesitate to contact us by email.
Acknowledgement of application to read Medicine (A100) at Oxford

This is to let you know that we have received your application to read Medicine on the standard course (A100) at Oxford for entry in 2015.

We would now like to explain what will happen to your application. At this stage, your forms are being handled centrally in the Medical Sciences Teaching Centre, not at your college of preference or allocation (should you have submitted an open application). Should you have any query relating to your application, please email us at [email protected].

Because we shall be interviewing approximately 3 candidates for each available place, we shall only be calling you to interview if we believe you have a good chance of being offered a place. We will draw up a short list of applicants for interview based primarily on your results in the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) that you should have registered to sit on 5 November, and, where available, your GCSE performance. Please see www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics for more information on the shortlisting process.
I am afraid we will not be able to consider applications from candidates who have not registered to take the BMAT test, or fail to sit the test. Please note that requests for any special considerations during the BMAT, for example due to illness, must be sent directly to Admissions Testing Service within 7 days of the test date. You can find further information at www.atsts.org.uk.. We shall be in touch with you separately by email if we have any difficulty locating BMAT registration details for you.

We will then send you a letter or email at the beginning of December (probably Wednesday 3rd December) to tell you whether or not you are on the interview short-list. We regret that it is not possible to advise you of short-listing decisions any earlier than this.

If you are on the short-list, you will be invited for interview at two colleges: one of which will be St Catherine's College (your college of preference or allocation), and a second which will be allocated to you randomly. An invitation letter will come from the college at which you will spend the first night, which may not be your college of preference or allocation. The college selectors will not be aware of your college preference at the time of the interviews (and please do not reveal it to them), and the order in which colleges see you will be arbitrary. You will be asked to be in Oxford for approximately 26 hours: either from around midday on Sunday 14 to early afternoon on Monday 15 December or from around midday on Monday 15 to early afternoon on Tuesday 16 December. You will spend the first afternoon and the night at one college, then move to the other college for the next morning. The number and format of interviews at each college may vary but the selection criteria, common to all Oxford colleges, is described in our prospectus, and available at:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/courses/preclin/entryreqs/criteria

Note for International candidates: Please ensure that you have the necessary paperwork (such as a visa, if you require one) now to travel to Oxford on the dates above. Short-listing decisions are not communicated until the beginning of December (by email). If you require any assistance from the university in obtaining such documents please do let us know ASAP by emailing [email protected].

It is not possible to offer interviews on alternative dates. If you are not available for interview on these dates, please let us know as soon as possible, and we will not consider your application further.

If we can be of any help by clarifying our procedures or providing you with further information or advice, please don’t hesitate to contact us by email.

Many thanks! :smile:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/oma/oxmed/eOxfordMedicine13.pdf

I would recommend reading the first article. Gives an in-depth insight into the selection process for A100 at Oxford.

So they receive our BMAT essays during post-interview selection? I wonder how they use that, considering the article says that it's a poor predictor for degree performance.
Omg corpus Christi and st. Catz!!!!!!!
Reply 45
Just got rejected. :smile: Wish you all the best, guys.
Original post by Ucki

Just wondering, but has your rejection appeared on UCAS? I haven't checked my emails because I'm too nervous but UCAS seems less nerve-wracking because it reminds me there's 3 other med schools I'm waiting to hear back from... :s
Reply 47
Original post by Ucki

Haha me too. Seems we do have quite a lot in common :smile:
Reply 48
Got rejected too :frown:
Reply 49
Omg corpus Christi and st. Catz!!!!!!!

which college did you apply to and which one were you randomly allocated to?

I have an interview too :smile:

congrats
Original post by Ani97
which college did you apply to and which one were you randomly allocated to?

I have an interview too :smile:

congrats

Congratulations to you too! Which colleges did you get?
I applied to St. Catz, got allocated to Corpus Christi.
Reply 51
Original post by Harmanosa
Just wondering, but has your rejection appeared on UCAS? I haven't checked my emails because I'm too nervous but UCAS seems less nerve-wracking because it reminds me there's 3 other med schools I'm waiting to hear back from... :s

No. Nothing on Track yet. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
I got an interview for Keble and Queens for the 14th & 15th

Has anyone got any tips on how to prepare? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nagi96

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heartily second this!
Original post by PoloMaxima
I heartily second this!

Original post by nagi96
I got an interview for Keble and Queens for the 14th & 15th

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mock interviews, go through your PS for possible topics in interview, research the tutors at your college and their specialties, be prepped for ethical questions, prep for general questions as well (why medicine, why oxford, etc...), and speaking practice.
If anything, just working through questions with a friend asking you them and giving you feedback helps alot.
Reply 55
Interview at Teddy Hall and Pembroke on the 14th and 15th!!!
Reply 56
Congratulations to you too! Which colleges did you get?
I applied to St. Catz, got allocated to Corpus Christi.

I applied to st catz as well! I got allocated to Worcester. How are you finding interview prep? It's a daunting thing...
Reply 57
Original post by Ani97
I applied to st catz as well! I got allocated to Worcester. How are you finding interview prep? It's a daunting thing...

I am hating it, not really sure what I should be preparing! What is everyone else doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ani97

Ahhh awesome! are you there on the 14th or the 15th?
Interview prep isn't too bad, I've found out my weak areas and I'm concentrating on them now. How about you?
Anyone going to trinity on Sunday ? *this thread is so dead*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending