The Student Room Group

deleted

deleted
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The shirt was clearly OK in his setting or he would have been disciplined for wearing it.
That might mean there's a problem with the workplace regulation or attitude for his profession, but it doesn't mean he's at fault.
And the shirt was cool, and not sexist.
Reply 2
Original post by RetroFeel///VCR
Ha... right...

Take it from me dear, it is sexist. There's no argument to be had here.

I'd say calling someone "dear" in a patronising way is more sexist than the shirt, to be honest.
There clearly is an argument to be had, because people are having it. The shirt shows scantily clad women holding guns. So do many video games, animes, probably a decent amount of sci-fi and fantasy literature. I don't consider such depictions to be sexist.
I don't think it matters, he was reporting on a bloody good achievement, and all idiots could bleat on about where his shirt? They need to get a life.
I think the fact we all know exactly what shirt is being discussed means that this topic has been blown out of proportions. A smart guy made a huge accomplishment, he wore a shirt that some like and some don't.

It's done now and he even apologised for whatever reason, so why is this still being debated?
It was poor judgment on his part, but I think some people lost all sense of perspective. The shirt was made for him by a female friend of his for his birthday. He probably thought he was doing a nice thing by wearing it on TV.
Reply 6
Hmm, perhaps the reason why you don't is because you're not enlightened on the subject.
The Guardian said it was sexist. The Verge said it was sexist. It is sexist. The only people who disagree are neocons.

These people said it was sexist so it must be sexist....hmm, perhaps the reason who you think it was sexist is because you're incapable of independent throught.

People are entitled to think it's sexist or to be offended by it if they wish. I disagree. I also happen to think someone should not be bullied for his choice of dress when he neither set out to offend nor even (I would imagine) considered that his choice of shirt could cause offence.
Original post by TurboCretin
It was poor judgment on his part, but I think some people lost all sense of perspective. The shirt was made for him by a female friend of his for his birthday. He probably thought he was doing a nice thing by wearing it on TV.

This. Regardless of the politics, I felt so sorry for him when he started crying. And I bet that friend felt awful. :frown:

On the plus side, the reaction towards him personally has been almost universally sympathetic. I have no idea what he's really like, but being portrayed as a socially innocent genius who only wanted to land a spaceship on a comet can't have been too damaging. :tongue:

If it was ever an issue (and I'm not saying it wasn't), it should have been dealt with discreetly and internally.
Reply 8
Hmm, perhaps the reason why you don't is because you're not enlightened on the subject.
The Guardian said it was sexist. The Verge said it was sexist. It is sexist. The only people who disagree are neocons.

That's it! Stifle debate by accusing people who disagree with you as in the wrong....

Jesus wept.
Reply 9
Yes. And your face is racist.

Something doesn't automatically become true simply because you think it is.
Reply 10
In other news why u talking about enlightenment and then bringing The Guardian and Verge into your argument

Wtf
I've seen a far too many trolls saying that the shirt that the Rosetta scientist was cool or perfectly OK.

Here's the truth: it is sexist.

I think this tweet sums it up: "For clarity -- No, the shirt is not "cool" or acceptable in a professional setting - on an engineer, scientist, or anyone,"

1/10. So obvious.

If you're actually serious then please present a valid argument as to why the shirt is sexist. ''It's X because it is!'' isn't an argument.

Original post by Kaiju
In other news why u talking about enlightenment and then bringing The Guardian and Verge into your argument

Wtf

It's probably just a troll account designed to make ridiculous claims in order discredit those who genuinely believe them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Ha... right...

How was it sexist??????????????
How is it sexist?
Reply 14
To the professionally offended it would be sexist.

To big boys and girls (grown ups), we'll I'd hope they had better things to do then be so pathetic.

Imagine if I lost my **** every time I saw some half naked guy on a calendar in an office, within a professional environment.
Reply 15
why should we take advice on a modern issue from someone with VCR in their username
By no means is it sexist, unless of course youre a delusional feminist
I've seen a far too many trolls saying that the shirt that the Rosetta scientist was cool or perfectly OK.

Here's the truth: it is sexist.

I think this tweet sums it up: "For clarity -- No, the shirt is not "cool" or acceptable in a professional setting - on an engineer, scientist, or anyone,"

How does one making a T shirt depicting one's own gender and then gives it to a man, makes the man sexist?
Far too many people point at something and cry 'sexist!' without explaining why that particular thing is sexist.
Reply 19
Ha... right...

No, you're right, there is no argument here cause you've shown yourself to be a troll.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending