The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Everyone Hates Me

Hey guys

I started Bangor Uni September 2014 and everything has slowly become worse.

When I first moved in my flatmates didn't really talk much, we never really saw each other and never really bonded, no one really knew each other.

lectures started and everyone began to bond and make friends, but as the weeks progressed I realized that no one wanted to talk to me, or if they did they would never talk to me again.

My flatmates began acting weird, odd comments to me, strange looks and cruel giggles. I never really spoke and once the awkward silences followed by glares began and I wanted to hide in my room. I have one friend in the flat and he would sit and talk with the others occasionally and relay any information back to me, he was my only connection to my flatmates, it was then that he began to notice hateful words from the others. They would occasionally bitch about me behind my back, I realized that i wasn't imagining the cruel looks, they were real. As the weeks went on the words became more and more hateful, they began spreading into their few conversations with me to my face. "Queen bitch" and "majestic ****", they called me, accusing me of writing notes complaining about flat parties that I hadn't written and despite me never having spoken to them for more than a few greetings they seemed to think they knew me. I have become the most hated girl in the flat and it is getting worse, the comments come more and more often, but I know that if i tell the warden it will just make things worse.

Its week 8 now and I still have made no friends other than the one in my flat. My flatmates either actively avoid me or purposefully say things nasty to me.

Is anyone else finding it hard to make friends here or is being bullied somewhat, I hate it and I just want people to talk to.

Scroll to see replies

Have you tried joining university societies? It's a really good way to meet new people and make friends :smile:
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
I'm sorry you're having a rough time. Is there an accomodation officer or someone you could talk to about the issue? Or perhaps ask to move flats.

Perhaps try getting involved with some societies and make friends that way

You can't be friends with everyone and get everyone to like you, it sounds like things have got off to a bad start, but try not to let it get you down.
Out of curiosity, what is your course?
Reply 4
love, no one should ever have to feel that way :frown: im sorry your experience at uni hasnt been great but dont let it get you down. Stay strong. Im sure it'll get better soon. :smile: Your flatmates shouldn't be doing that..
what do you study in bangor? xx
Original post by H2OfanRikki
Hey guys

When I first moved in my flatmates didn't really talk much, we never really saw each other and never really bonded, no one really knew each other.

lectures started and everyone began to bond and make friends, but as the weeks progressed I realized that no one wanted to talk to me, or if they did they would never talk to me again.

My flatmates began acting weird, odd comments to me, strange looks and cruel giggles. I never really spoke and once the awkward silences followed by glares began and I wanted to hide in my room. I have one friend in the flat and he would sit and talk with the others occasionally and relay any information back to me, he was my only connection to my flatmates, it was then that he began to notice hateful words from the others. They would occasionally bitch about me behind my back, I realized that i wasn't imagining the cruel looks, they were real. As the weeks went on the words became more and more hateful, they began spreading into their few conversations with me to my face. "Queen bitch" and "majestic ****", they called me, accusing me of writing notes complaining about flat parties that I hadn't written and despite me never having spoken to them for more than a few greetings they seemed to think they knew me. I have become the most hated girl in the flat and it is getting worse, the comments come more and more often, but I know that if i tell the warden it will just make things worse.

Its week 8 now and I still have made no friends other than the one in my flat. My flatmates either actively avoid me or purposefully say things nasty to me.

Is anyone else finding it hard to make friends here or is being bullied somewhat, I hate it and I just want people to talk to.

Hey I'm at Bangor!

Talk to your warden (message them via Facebook or e-mail perhaps) about the issues. They'll try to address it the best they can without causing tension either. Also if you want to move, contact halls office, you may be able to swap halls relatively easily.

Please talk to somebody official like your tutor. If you don't know who, your peer guide can point you in the right direction.
Original post by h2ofanrikki
hey guys

i started bangor uni september 2014 and everything has slowly become worse.

When i first moved in my flatmates didn't really talk much, we never really saw each other and never really bonded, no one really knew each other.

Lectures started and everyone began to bond and make friends, but as the weeks progressed i realized that no one wanted to talk to me, or if they did they would never talk to me again.

My flatmates began acting weird, odd comments to me, strange looks and cruel giggles. I never really spoke and once the awkward silences followed by glares began and i wanted to hide in my room. I have one friend in the flat and he would sit and talk with the others occasionally and relay any information back to me, he was my only connection to my flatmates, it was then that he began to notice hateful words from the others. They would occasionally bitch about me behind my back, i realized that i wasn't imagining the cruel looks, they were real. As the weeks went on the words became more and more hateful, they began spreading into their few conversations with me to my face. "queen bitch" and "majestic ****", they called me, accusing me of writing notes complaining about flat parties that i hadn't written and despite me never having spoken to them for more than a few greetings they seemed to think they knew me. I have become the most hated girl in the flat and it is getting worse, the comments come more and more often, but i know that if i tell the warden it will just make things worse.

Its week 8 now and i still have made no friends other than the one in my flat. My flatmates either actively avoid me or purposefully say things nasty to me.

Is anyone else finding it hard to make friends here or is being bullied somewhat, i hate it and i just want people to talk to.

confront them
Reply 7
Thank you so much for your replies, I sm joining a society tomorrow and I spoke to some of the flat about it all, they still hate me and they refuse to be around me but it's a bit better xx
Original post by EloiseStar
Hey I'm at Bangor!

Talk to your warden (message them via Facebook or e-mail perhaps) about the issues. They'll try to address it the best they can without causing tension either. Also if you want to move, contact halls office, you may be able to swap halls relatively easily.

Please talk to somebody official like your tutor. If you don't know who, your peer guide can point you in the right direction.

I agree with this. It could make things worse if they find out you've spoken to someone, but equally, tutors / wardens will know this, and know how to handle things sensitively. At the very least, they can give you advice, or help you move flats if it comes to that.

Do you have any idea what might have triggered it? They may well just be bullies, but there may have been some kind of misunderstanding. It's possible someone else left those notes, and blamed it on you. It's also possible that one of them has turned you into a target in order to facilitate their own bonding with the group, and that this person could be somehow removed. Or perhaps you're someone they might be jealous of (in terms of looks / weight etc)? Unfortunately, the most likely thing is that you have been identified as the weak link, and because they are so desperate to make friends with each other, none of them want to appear friendly towards you. :frown:

Can you get one of them alone, and find out what's going on? Or could your friend do this for you? There is something really weird going on here - it's not uncommon to have a hard time with flatmates, but being targeted like this, and accused as if you are the bully is NOT normal, and you don't have to put up with it.

I would get something sorted as soon as possible, even if it means moving. It will be easiest to come back to different accommodation in January - it might be hard to find space, but some people do drop out. The situation might improve by itself, but you don't want to let it drag on until exam time.

Meanwhile, join some societies (it takes time, but it does work), and try to talk to people from other flats. Don't feel like you're missing out on the 'time of your life' or anything - second and third year are much better than first, trust me. Everyone is so much more grown up. At the very least, get a great degree, and you won't have any regrets in a few years. :smile:
x

I wouldn't bother with any of them; they sound like jealous losers.
Reply 10
If you like to play video games, come join the Gaming League! I'll be your friend :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Octohedral
I agree with this. It could make things worse if they find out you've spoken to someone, but equally, tutors / wardens will know this, and know how to handle things sensitively. At the very least, they can give you advice, or help you move flats if it comes to that.

Do you have any idea what might have triggered it? They may well just be bullies, but there may have been some kind of misunderstanding. It's possible someone else left those notes, and blamed it on you. It's also possible that one of them has turned you into a target in order to facilitate their own bonding with the group, and that this person could be somehow removed. Or perhaps you're someone they might be jealous of (in terms of looks / weight etc)? Unfortunately, the most likely thing is that you have been identified as the weak link, and because they are so desperate to make friends with each other, none of them want to appear friendly towards you. :frown:

Can you get one of them alone, and find out what's going on? Or could your friend do this for you? There is something really weird going on here - it's not uncommon to have a hard time with flatmates, but being targeted like this, and accused as if you are the bully is NOT normal, and you don't have to put up with it.

I would get something sorted as soon as possible, even if it means moving. It will be easiest to come back to different accommodation in January - it might be hard to find space, but some people do drop out. The situation might improve by itself, but you don't want to let it drag on until exam time.

Meanwhile, join some societies (it takes time, but it does work), and try to talk to people from other flats. Don't feel like you're missing out on the 'time of your life' or anything - second and third year are much better than first, trust me. Everyone is so much more grown up. At the very least, get a great degree, and you won't have any regrets in a few years. :smile:

I have no idea what triggered it, week one a two were okay, but in week three everything went wrong. I have said about 5 sentences to these people, so i'm not sure how I could say anything wrong. I don't drink but thats about the only thing that makes me different, and i'm pretty plain looking so i'm not sure how it could be that.

Being alone isn't so great, I've tried talking alone but they just twist my words and tell the others I've said something I haven't. I don't really want to move because I have a friend that i'm living with but I have joined one society and that is good.
Reply 12
Hey everyone, thank you so much for your replies, for anyone who wanted to know I do Zoology with Marine Zoology and I'm in Gwynant.

If i'm honest its starting to get worse again, apparently I am forcing my friend to do things for me, that he is brown-nosing me (kissing my ***) even if he gets me a cup of tea even though I do the same for him.

I feel like I need to do everything for the both of us (cooking, cleaning, doing everything for him, apologizing for things I didn't do wrong in front of them) solely so they don't make me out to be a slave worker.

I am so tired of this.
Hey guys

Write for The Tab http://tab.co.uk/ you will have so much fun and be so successful that you will not give a **** what others think.
Hey everyone, thank you so much for your replies, for anyone who wanted to know I do Zoology with Marine Zoology and I'm in Gwynant.

If i'm honest its starting to get worse again, apparently I am forcing my friend to do things for me, that he is brown-nosing me (kissing my ***) even if he gets me a cup of tea even though I do the same for him.

I feel like I need to do everything for the both of us (cooking, cleaning, doing everything for him, apologizing for things I didn't do wrong in front of them) solely so they don't make me out to be a slave worker.

I am so tired of this.

Hi, I'm also in Gwynant!! I'm on floor 3, where are you?
Your living situation sounds horrible!:frown: If you don't want to move halls you could ask your friend if you want to move together and find a place to rent outside halls, this would also be cheaper.

I don't really talk with people on my floor, we occasionally just smile/ say hi. I made most of my friends on my course and in societies. Try to spend as much time outside halls as possible so you don't feel too isolated, and join loads of societies! If you haven't already, then definitely do in the 2nd semester. If you like walking you could join the mountain walking society, there's also the debating society, badminton, Assassins society (everyone here is really friendly) or other societies related to your course.

If you ever feel you want to meet up just reply or message me, it's always nice to have a chat! :smile:
Hope things start to get better for you x
Original post by alex_3401
Assassins society (everyone here is really friendly)

I can attest to this, everyone in the guild is really friendly and we love welcoming new members any time through the year.

Alex_3401, were you present on Saturday evening for the fort social? I ask because I don't know any assassin's called Alex personally, but I do know there are some.
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
I can attest to this, everyone in the guild is really friendly and we love welcoming new members any time through the year.

Alex_3401, were you present on Saturday evening for the fort social? I ask because I don't know any assassin's called Alex personally, but I do know there are some.

Hi, no I wasn't there on Saturday,
unfortunately I only went to one so far, (which I really enjoyed), I kind of regret it now but other things came up,
but I really enjoyed it so I'm definitely be coming to more after Christmas, so I'm guessing you should see me then :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by alex_3401
Hi, I'm also in Gwynant!! I'm on floor 3, where are you?
Your living situation sounds horrible!:frown: If you don't want to move halls you could ask your friend if you want to move together and find a place to rent outside halls, this would also be cheaper.

I don't really talk with people on my floor, we occasionally just smile/ say hi. I made most of my friends on my course and in societies. Try to spend as much time outside halls as possible so you don't feel too isolated, and join loads of societies! If you haven't already, then definitely do in the 2nd semester. If you like walking you could join the mountain walking society, there's also the debating society, badminton, Assassins society (everyone here is really friendly) or other societies related to your course.

If you ever feel you want to meet up just reply or message me, it's always nice to have a chat! :smile:
Hope things start to get better for you x

I'm floor two and some people are okay, but its mostly a lot of partiers and drunks, a lot of mean and judgmental people and a few nice ones.

I have joined one society but most of the time I am so tuckered out I just want to go to my room and watch tv.

The problem we have with moving out is that we would still need to pay for the rooms we have already so we just don't have enough money to do that.
Self reflection helps and if you can't see any good reason to why you've garnered all this hateful attention then it is totally their issue.

They sound like real douchebags though so I wouldn't be surprised if you were getting hate just because they need someone to gossip about and verbally attack.
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Self reflection helps and if you can't see any good reason to why you've garnered all this hateful attention then it is totally their issue.

They sound like real douchebags though so I wouldn't be surprised if you were getting hate just because they need someone to gossip about and verbally attack.

^This

OP speak to a warden/tutor, and ask about moving too. :hugs: I wouldnt bother with your flatmates... it is their problem

Quick Reply

Latest