The Student Room Group

What are the English equivalent to Scottish universities?

In terms of academic reputation of the university as a whole.

In other words, which universities in England do you think hold similar status compared to the Scottish universities?

e.g. St Andrews, Heriot Watt, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Highlands and Islands.

Reply 1
Oxbridge, UCL, imperial college London
Original post by NsT3N12
Oxbridge, UCL, imperial college London

No I mean what universities in Scotland hold similar reputations to universities in England.

so..

university in Scotland = university in England (in terms of academic reputation)
Original post by C_Richards99

In other words, which universities in England do you think hold similar status compared to the Scottish universities?

e.g. St Andrews, Heriot Watt, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Highlands and Islands.

If you're talking league table rankings, then Scottish & English universities are generally included on the national rankings together, so that will give you a good idea.
No I mean what universities in Scotland hold similar reputations to universities in England.

so..

university in Scotland = university in England (in terms of academic reputation)

Do you mean their exact equivalent? Unfortunately it's not quite like that, they're all very different in their own respects, hence why people will move across the border to go to a certain university:confused:
Reply 5

It's pretty hard to compare them I guess as it depends what on - everyone has different things they'd look for.

According to CompleteUniversityGuide

St Andrews is about on par with Durham or a little below Oxbridge
Heriott Watt with Royal Holloway or Liverpool
Glasgow with Manchester or KCL
Edinburgh with Newcastle or Leicester
Aberdeen with Keele or Swansea
Strathcylde with Swansea or Essex

No idea about Highlands sorry
Reply 6
I'm pretty sure St Andrews is our Oxbridge.
Original post by carabethh
Do you mean their exact equivalent? Unfortunately it's not quite like that, they're all very different in their own respects, hence why people will move across the border to go to a certain university:confused:

not exact, but rough equivalent. I just wanted to know because higher education is free in Scotland in comparison to England.

Original post by AdamCee
It's pretty hard to compare them I guess as it depends what on - everyone has different things they'd look for.

According to CompleteUniversityGuide

St Andrews is about on par with Durham or a little below Oxbridge
Heriott Watt with Royal Holloway or Liverpool
Glasgow with Manchester or KCL
Edinburgh with Newcastle or Leicester
Aberdeen with Keele or Swansea
Strathcylde with Swansea or Essex

No idea about Highlands sorry

yes this is the kind of answer i was looking for, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest