The Student Room Group

Game of the Year Discussion Thread: Winner to be announced soon!

Scroll to see replies

Did two people seriously vote for ESO for Q!...
Slightly belated, but Q2 voting has been wrapped up and we're onto Q3! Congrats to Goat Simulator, Mario Kart and Wolfenstein for making it straight into the finals, with Watch Dogs, FFXIV, Transistor and Wildstar all getting another lifeline in the Second Chance round!
Final quarter voting is now up, and see the OP of either thread to see how you could win a free game of your choice :smile:
Yeah, if Goat Simulator wins I am losing faith in TSR as a whole, and will have learned the demographic of gamers on this website is probably between the ages of 12-14.
Original post by Arkasia
Yeah, if Goat Simulator wins I am losing faith in TSR as a whole, and will have learned the demographic of gamers on this website is probably between the ages of 12-14.

What's wrong with amusing, novelty sims in a slow year?
Original post by Jammy Duel
What's wrong with amusing, novelty sims in a slow year?

I find Goat Simulator unamusing, and something being 'novelty' does not equate to it having any quality, or else "German BDSM Dungeon Simulator" would be game of the year 2017 or whenever some idiot makes it.
Original post by Arkasia
I find Goat Simulator unamusing, and something being 'novelty' does not equate to it having any quality, or else "German BDSM Dungeon Simulator" would be game of the year 2017 or whenever some idiot makes it.

You seem to be in a minority, it's still something different rather than the boring old "go here, shoot that, come back, oh, wait, something went wrong so you should shoot them and go this other way. 10 minutes over and with no difficulty you're done, rinse and repeat", obviously adjusting for the genre and the likes.
You seem to be in a minority, it's still something different rather than the boring old "go here, shoot that, come back, oh, wait, something went wrong so you should shoot them and go this other way. 10 minutes over and with no difficulty you're done, rinse and repeat", obviously adjusting for the genre and the likes.

I reckon I am in the majority, and it is just the incredibly vocal minority, spurned on by youtubers like Pewdiepie and JackSepticEye, who scream about how fun this game is, whereas most people aren't bothered but don't express their views. And it's funny how you talk about something being 'different' as if that was a qualifying factor. If you want to talk about genres, and how people like different things, then you have to accept that many people like your "boring old games", I for one detest the flavour of the month, poorly made, youtube bait games that everyone plays "for the bants". Give me a good sandbox or horror title (and yes, the occasional shooter) and I am happy.
Original post by Arkasia
I reckon I am in the majority, and it is just the incredibly vocal minority, spurned on by youtubers like Pewdiepie and JackSepticEye, who scream about how fun this game is, whereas most people aren't bothered but don't express their views. And it's funny how you talk about something being 'different' as if that was a qualifying factor. If you want to talk about genres, and how people like different things, then you have to accept that many people like your "boring old games", I for one detest the flavour of the month, poorly made, youtube bait games that everyone plays "for the bants". Give me a good sandbox or horror title (and yes, the occasional shooter) and I am happy.

Read "different" as "more original". Personally, I would much rather buy half a dozen cheap, original indie titles that I can pull a few hours out of each than most AAA titles where I will pick it up, play it for <10 hours, find no challenge in it, where it has barely changed over the last year (or last 5 for that matter) and then never touch it again. In those few hours each on the "youtube bait" games I've got better value for money in terms of time and had much more fun than on the AAA where it's simply doing the exact same as I did 12 months ago.

Then when you throw in that some of the "youtube bait" then has a **** ton of workshop mods and that drags more out of it, meanwhile most of those AAA titles are sitting on the shelf because there is either nothing more to do, or the new content is over priced paid dlc.

Looking at my steam library (and even extending it to Origin and Uplay won't change much), there aren't many games that can beat the cheap crappy little things on value for money. Those that do are the ones that are long and/or have a lot of replay value: Total Wars, Company of Heroes, ES, Fallout, I suppose some of the better AC games may also slip in, maybe the likes of payday when I get round to them; and games where I actually enjoy the online component, but then again, there's only two: BF3 and BF4. Most games will slip in under 20 hours (several including going and 100%ing them).
Reply 29
I think Midde-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is the GOTY. It's kind of set a new standard for gaming, where games aren't shoved down your throat with advertising and more money is spent on developing the game. I do think hearthstone is also a big thing for gaming as well as its a great esports game.
Original post by krands
I think Midde-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is the GOTY. It's kind of set a new standard for gaming, where games aren't shoved down your throat with advertising and more money is spent on developing the game. I do think hearthstone is also a big thing for gaming as well as its a great esports game.

I would disagree, with the argument at least, by the sounds of it you're basically saying "it should be GOTY because it wasn't a massively high budget AAA game and is thus amrketed accordingly, and it was polished rather than rushed and the polished after launch", which would make a lot of games GOTY. It's also worth noting that it isn't really setting a new standard, it's just not doing what EA and Ubi are doing with their headline titles, aka, what used to be done and what most devs do.
Sorry for the lateness of this guys, working a 50 hour week hasn't left much time for TSR projects :ahee: Anyway, congrats to Alien Isolation, Smash Bros and Dragon Age for making it into the final! Far Cry, Call of Duty, Civilisation and LittleBigPlanet all make it through to the second chance round, which will be up shortly.

It's also been decided that given the tie for the third place in Q1 will be settled by allowing all three games to advance straight to the final. All three of these third games received more votes each than any other first place game in every other quarter aside from Shadow of Mordor, and there simply wasn't a more fair way of relegating one of these games down to fourth place implemented in the GOTY rules- we'll have something in place next year!

As a final note, it's been relatively one-sided in the poll for allowing remakes, re-releases and expansion packs, and such a thread will not be going ahead- all four (or rather, three now) will be going to the top picks from the second chance round :smile:
Isn't that just down to so many more votes being cast in the first, and not actually true when considering the percentages?
Last few hours of voting, guys, and the finale thread will be on time this week :ahee:
And that's voting closed! Thanks to everybody who took part :h: we have some final checks to make and the Community Team will choose the lucky winner of a free game of their choosing, and the announcement will be made on Monday :woo:
D:
But some of us can't wait until Monday to see how wise or otherwise we think this community is
Can we not keep the discussion thread for the final vote active, or at least visible but closed if needed?
Actually, thinking of it, there can only be one possible winner for me, the game that made 2014 the year of the novelty sims.

It made your girlfriend a gamer girl...BEWBS.
(you should be well aware of the tone you are supposed to read this in)
Original post by BlackMagicV
It made your girlfriend a gamer girl...BEWBS.
(you should be well aware of the tone you are supposed to read this in)

NO IT DID NOT! IF IT HAD I WOULD HAVE FEWER SPARE PARTS LYING AROUND

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest