The Student Room Group

Preferred A Levels for radiography course - 2016

I'm currently in year 12, studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and History. Recently I've been considering studying Diagnostic Radiography at University. I've been looking at UCAS and it states a science is preferred. Anyone currently studying DR at uni, or looking to apply next year, what subjects are you taking and what grades did you get/are you hoping to get? Any additional info on the course itself from a student perspective would be great too. :smile:
Original post by r.kha
I'm currently in year 12, studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and History. Recently I've been considering studying Diagnostic Radiography at University. I've been looking at UCAS and it states a science is preferred. Anyone currently studying DR at uni, or looking to apply next year, what subjects are you taking and what grades did you get/are you hoping to get? Any additional info on the course itself from a student perspective would be great too.

Your subjects are fine, some Universities accept Maths as a science but not many, almost all accept Chemistry. I wouldn't say a science is "preferred" more an ESSENTIAL.

Entry requirements vary from 320 UCAS points to ABB, most requiring 80 points/B in the science.

Dont drop your chemistry :smile:

Check out the Diagnostic Radiography 2015 thread for useful info

Oh and the Diagnostic Radiography 2014 thread

and 2013 and 2012 ........... all have been so useful for me in my application and help manage expectations.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by FeelingDepressed
Your subjects are fine, some Universities accept Maths as a science but not many, almost all accept Chemistry. I wouldn't say a science is "preferred" more an ESSENTIAL.

Entry requirements vary from 320 UCAS points to ABB, most requiring 80 points/B in the science.

Dont drop your chemistry :smile:

Check out the Diagnostic Radiography 2015 thread for useful info

Oh and the Diagnostic Radiography 2014 thread

and 2013 and 2012 ........... all have been so useful for me in my application and help manage expectations.

Thank you, what A levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping to get? Have you done a clinic placement or work exp. yet, and what unis are you gonna apply to?
Original post by r.kha
Thank you, what A levels are you taking and what grades are you hoping to get? Have you done a clinic placement or work exp. yet, and what unis are you gonna apply to?

I have managed to secure 2 interviews so far and have predicted grades of AAB, my science being Applied Science. I have applied to all univesities in the north.

I would recommend getting your clinical placement sorted EARLY, like...start sorting it now, as the hospitals are very very busy with students wanting work experience. It was six months after I applied for work experience that I got my dates through from the hospital, so the sooner you contact them the better. You also have a mountain of paperwork to fill in from them and sometimes health questionnaires, school references etc

Go onto your local hospital websites and search for "work experience" or "volunteering" and then contact them direct, they usually employee someone specifically to deal with this, or speak to your school careers advisor as sometimes they have links directly with the hospital.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest