The Student Room Group

differential equations- vibration of a wine glass

i) A model for the vibration of a wine glass is x''+λx'+ω^(2)x=0,
where λ and ω are constants. Suppose that when struck the wine glass vibrates at 660 Hz. Show that
(4ω^(2)-λ(^2))^(0.5)=2640pi.

ii) If it takes about 3 seconds for the sound to die away, and this happens when
the original vibrations have reduced to 1/100 of their original level, show that λ=(2log 100)/3
and hence that λ = 3.07 and ω = 4.15×103
(both to three significant figures).

Note: For the sinusoidal movement x(t)=sin(Ωt), the frequency is defined to be Ω/2pi and is measured in Hertz.

Can someone please help as I am not sure how to go about these questions.
Reply 1
Original post by ellemay96
i) A model for the vibration of a wine glass is x''+λx'+ω^(2)x=0,
where λ and ω are constants. Suppose that when struck the wine glass vibrates at 660 Hz. Show that
(4ω^(2)-λ(^2))^(0.5)=2640pi.

ii) If it takes about 3 seconds for the sound to die away, and this happens when
the original vibrations have reduced to 1/100 of their original level, show that λ=(2log 100)/3
and hence that λ = 3.07 and ω = 4.15×103
(both to three significant figures).

Note: For the sinusoidal movement x(t)=sin(Ωt), the frequency is defined to be Ω/2pi and is measured in Hertz.

Can someone please help as I am not sure how to go about these questions.

for i)

ω=2πf\omega =2\pi \cdot f and λ=0\lambda=0 (no damping)

Substitute them into the given expression.
Reply 2
Original post by ztibor
for i)

ω=2πf\omega =2\pi \cdot f and λ=0\lambda=0 (no damping)

Substitute them into the given expression.

Oh thank you!
Original post by ztibor
for i)

ω=2πf\omega =2\pi \cdot f and λ=0\lambda=0 (no damping)I don't think this is a valid assumption: From

ii) If it takes about 3 seconds for the sound to die away

it's clear that there is damping to be considered here.

[I would solve the original equation in the form x=eαtcos(A+BωT)x = e^{-\alpha t}\cos(A+B\omega T) and work from there].
Reply 4
Original post by DFranklin
I don't think this is a valid assumption: From

I assumed no damping because the wine glass has just been struck
(and these values answer the first question (give 2640pi))
Original post by ztibor
I assumed no damping because the wine glass has just been struck
(and these values answer the first question (give 2640pi))
The equations of motion aren't going to change between when the glass is first struct and the sound decays.

That it gives something that matches the question is no real assurance: if a question asks you to show that (4ω^(2)-λ(^2))^(0.5)=2640pi, the implication is that the value of λ\lambda is relevant (as opposed to "you can ignore lambda because it's 0").
Reply 6
I still don't understand (ii).
If you find the general equation, you'll still have constants A and B. Are you able to find these constants to then go on to find λ, or do you have to do something different?
I still don't understand (ii).
If you find the general equation, you'll still have constants A and B. Are you able to find these constants to then go on to find λ, or do you have to do something different?
Firstly, I realise I typoed what I posted earlier.

What I should have said is:

solve the DE in the form x=Aeαtcos(Ωt+B)x = A e^{-\alpha t} cos(\Omega t + B).

(α,Ω\alpha, \Omega are going to have specific values dependent on λ,ω\lambda, \omega. A, B are arbitrary constants (they are the amplitude/phase of the intiial oscillation) but they will not factor into the final answer).

Spoiler

Does any one have any more hints about how to solve this?
Original post by DaveFranco
Does any one have any more hints about how to solve this?

As a variant on what was posted above:

1. Assume a trial solution of the form x=AeiΩtx=Ae^{i \Omega t}
2. Substitute this into the original DE to find a quadratic in Ω\Omega
3. Find a pair of complex values for Ω\Omega
4. Given that xx is a real number, form a suitable real-valued linear combination of solutions of the form eiΩte^{i \Omega t} to make xx
5. Note (or show) that this gives you an exponentially decaying sinusoid solution.
6. Note further that, if α\alpha is an angular velocity, and ff is the corresponding frequency, then cosαt=cos2πft\cos \alpha t = \cos 2\pi f t and similarly for sin\sin

Quick Reply

Latest