The Student Room Group

Need help on my gap year. Inter-railing + Asia

I currently have a rough idea in my head of what i want to do, however i haven’t taken the time yet to calculate how much this will all cost etc. I am a very active individual and I really want to make the most of my gap year. My plan is currently:

3 months inter-railing through Europe (roughly how much is a 3 month train ticket? Likewise how much are hostels etc. I will be doing this with a friend as well)

I then want to travel from the UK to south east Asia (Vietnam, Thailand etc). During my time there I will be doing some volunteering and charity work. from there I want to go to Australia and work for about a month or two. Then to New Zealand then to south America and back to the UK. Im thinking of spending 6-7 months on this trip. Im doing it with a friend of mine and we will be back packing the whole thing, I’m not interested in doing it with a company or with a larger group. I calculated that flights from these places will cost roughly 1.5k-2k with an around the world plane ticket (correct me if I’m wrong).

So I was wondering if someone could give me a rough estimate of how much all this or sections of this would cost. You may think I’m an idiot and that this is going to cost way to much but I just want a rough estimate so I can pick and choose if its too much or start to get excited if it is in my price range. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Have you tried the travel section for this? It'll probably get more relevant viewers.

Here's a list of the types of interrail. It might work out a bit cheaper t buy something other than 1 month continuous if you want to stay in a place for a while. http://www.interrail.eu/interrail-passes/global-pass
I can't speak for eastern europe but western europe is seriously expensive. any hostels ive been to in france, holland, beligum, germany austria are on average 13 euros per night, if you go to hungary etc though you can get it for half that. Ive never been interrailing but anyone i know whos done it has spent about 1000-1500 for a one month trip and btw you cant get 3 month tickets as far as i know, only a maximum of a month. in fact if you want to spend 3 months in europe i wouldnt recommend interrailing at all, use helpx or something and youll get room and bored free. Thailand etc are incredibly cheap, you can fly to thailand for as low as £400 and you can stay in hostels or even cheap hotels there for about 15 dollars per night each and you can easily eat for about 10 dollars per day. anyway, theres my two pence. have fun
Here are my words of wisdom: £1000 = 2.5 weeks in Europe = 2 months in Asia

Skip Europe, you live in Europe. You can go visit Paris for the weekend anytime upon your return to the UK. Budapest, Krakow, Prague is an easy Wizzair flight with a carry on for £50 return. You say you only want to go for 6 - 7 months, save that time for a few countries and really experience them. You will regret racing through a country too quickly and missing out on the truly remarkable experiences that can only be found once in the country.

Focus only on S.E Asia. It's cheap, it's easy, it's fun. Great for a start into backpacking.
£15 a day will get you far, comfortable bed in a hostel, 3 meals a day, transport and a couple of beers. You can live on less, (I've lived on £5 a day for a time) but then be prepared to kiss goodbye all western luxuries.
You will also need a separate budget for activities - skydiving, diving, white river rafting, tubing etc. These range in price from pennies to £200 and above.

In 6 months you can experience a lot of what SE Asia has on offer - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Australia is waste if only for 2 months, it will cost you your first months salary to just start up there. At least 6 months if you want to save up a bit of cash. Even that is too short. Australia is a country you want to explore as well, make use of the Working Holiday visa and stay the 12 months or more. I'm guessing after this gap you will want to go to Uni? Go to Aus after Uni, make your money in the year or two that you can stay there - and then head to S.America. It will make more financial and time sense. Unless you're minted?!?

My experience with EVERY country is - there is always something that you want to see or do, and no matter how long you spend there, it is never enough time.
Never rush, take it slow and enjoy.
Hi

I have a successful business which gives a fantastic opportunity for students/ young adults to travel the world at a cost affective price. we have set up camps across the world in secure safe rural places giving you a chance to work as a volunteer with young children and adults in schools and camps.

Let me know if this is something you are interested in and I can give you more information and website details.
Reply 5
Original post by HitchhikeTheGlob
Here are my words of wisdom: £1000 = 2.5 weeks in Europe = 2 months in Asia

Skip Europe, you live in Europe. You can go visit Paris for the weekend anytime upon your return to the UK. Budapest, Krakow, Prague is an easy Wizzair flight with a carry on for £50 return. You say you only want to go for 6 - 7 months, save that time for a few countries and really experience them. You will regret racing through a country too quickly and missing out on the truly remarkable experiences that can only be found once in the country.

Focus only on S.E Asia. It's cheap, it's easy, it's fun. Great for a start into backpacking.
£15 a day will get you far, comfortable bed in a hostel, 3 meals a day, transport and a couple of beers. You can live on less, (I've lived on £5 a day for a time) but then be prepared to kiss goodbye all western luxuries.
You will also need a separate budget for activities - skydiving, diving, white river rafting, tubing etc. These range in price from pennies to £200 and above.

In 6 months you can experience a lot of what SE Asia has on offer - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Australia is waste if only for 2 months, it will cost you your first months salary to just start up there. At least 6 months if you want to save up a bit of cash. Even that is too short. Australia is a country you want to explore as well, make use of the Working Holiday visa and stay the 12 months or more. I'm guessing after this gap you will want to go to Uni? Go to Aus after Uni, make your money in the year or two that you can stay there - and then head to S.America. It will make more financial and time sense. Unless you're minted?!?

My experience with EVERY country is - there is always something that you want to see or do, and no matter how long you spend there, it is never enough time.
Never rush, take it slow and enjoy.

Thanks a lot :smile: really helped. I think we are going to stay in S.E Asia now so thank you for the information :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest