The Student Room Group

Friends don't share the same interests as me.. is it time to move on?

I started at a new sixth form at the beginning of this year. Within a week, I was part of a 'group'. 6 people- 3 guys and 3 girls. I dated one of them, but we broke up shortly after.
Anyways, this is all background information. The main point here is that we have nothing in common. They spent pretty much 100% of their time talking about gaming. I mean, I game a bit but not to the extent that I will spend every waking hour discussing it and making extremely ****ty jokes. As a result, I'm often bored out of my mind with them. They're still lovely people though.
I have quite a few other friends outside of the group, including a few really good friends. I have good fun with them, we discuss movies and books and random stuff. And the best part of it is that they don't game!
What should I do? Should I ditch my old friends? Is that completely immoral?
Why do you have to ditch them, can't you stay friends but be a bit more distanced, float around spending time with different groups of friends. Its what I did a lot of the time.
Original post by Anonymous
I started at a new sixth form at the beginning of this year. Within a week, I was part of a 'group'. 6 people- 3 guys and 3 girls. I dated one of them, but we broke up shortly after.
Anyways, this is all background information. The main point here is that we have nothing in common. They spent pretty much 100% of their time talking about gaming. I mean, I game a bit but not to the extent that I will spend every waking hour discussing it and making extremely ****ty jokes. As a result, I'm often bored out of my mind with them. They're still lovely people though.
I have quite a few other friends outside of the group, including a few really good friends. I have good fun with them, we discuss movies and books and random stuff. And the best part of it is that they don't game!
What should I do? Should I ditch my old friends? Is that completely immoral?

Why don't you just switch your main social group, to be with the people you enjoy being with more, but keep in touch with your old friends and still hang out? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Why do you have to ditch them, can't you stay friends but be a bit more distanced, float around spending time with different groups of friends. Its what I did a lot of the time.

Ditch wasn't the best word to use there- I mean not spending all my time with them, basically.
Actually, that's quite a good idea! How did that work out? Did you find that you were friends with lots and good friends with none?

Original post by abbiemac
Why don't you just switch your main social group, to be with the people you enjoy being with more, but keep in touch with your old friends and still hang out? :smile:

Oh, yeah, that could work actually xD So just a switch of groups
This is why you become a floater.
Ditch wasn't the best word to use there- I mean not spending all my time with them, basically.
Actually, that's quite a good idea! How did that work out? Did you find that you were friends with lots and good friends with none?

I did make a few good friends that way, some that I've kept today, but it meant I could have a lot of friends and spend time with people I liked but whe weren't necessarily in the same group
Friends come and go don't worry about it
Reply 7
Original post by jam277
This is why you become a floater.

A 'floater'?

I did make a few good friends that way, some that I've kept today, but it meant I could have a lot of friends and spend time with people I liked but whe weren't necessarily in the same group

Oh, that's actually a really great idea :biggrin:

Original post by Black Cat
Friends come and go don't worry about it

Sorry, I was distracted by your do :lol:
You don't have to stop being friends with anyone; just don't get attached to one group of people. Talk to this group of friends on some occasions and your other friends on other occasions.
A 'floater'?

An individual who is not defined to one social circle and will integrate with others. They will have close friends but they're not scared of having friends from different social backgrounds and alternate interests.
Reply 10

This! Same thing happened to me at uni. Was in a group with people on my course but decided that I didn't fully click with them. I still talk to them when I see them around but I made other friends as well. I'm not really part of a "group" tbh definitely a floater haha
Reply 11
I had the same experience aswell, when I started at my new school.. I didn't ditch them as such, it was more so distance myself, but obviously stay in contact and let them know they haven't done anything wrong if they ask..

But making sure you're with a group of friends that actually make you happy is important, I think.
Original post by jam277
An individual who is not defined to one social circle and will integrate with others. They will have close friends but they're not scared of having friends from different social backgrounds and alternate interests.

I definitely think this floater thing works for me- I'm not one to stick to a group of friends forever, I think.
I definitely think this floater thing works for me- I'm not one to stick to a group of friends forever, I think.

Me neither, although it's nice to have at least one good friend from each social group that you will talk to fairly regularly(or at least when you are both around)

Reason being because they can be very useful in the future for networking purposes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending