The Student Room Group

Guys - is a flirtatious comment from a best male friend ever harmless?

Been friends with this guy for eight years, always been very close platonic friends. In the very early days he used to flirt a little (say I was hot etc, but there's been none of that for nearly a decade!). Mainly because we have both been in relationships I think.

Scenario at the moment - I am single and he has a girlfriend. Anyway, without going into too much detail, he basically made this joke about our friendship/he gave our "friendship" another title before saying it could easily be misconstrued as FWBs so maybe we should pretend he didn't just say that...I could barely believe it when I read this text as he would never say this in person! It just seemed that he would make a sexual comment like that at all.

Should I be alarmed or he is just having a harmless little flirt? He's my best friend and I am not used to such comments from him...
Original post by Anonymous
Been friends with this guy for eight years, always been very close platonic friends. In the very early days he used to flirt a little (say I was hot etc, but there's been none of that for nearly a decade!). Mainly because we have both been in relationships I think.

Scenario at the moment - I am single and he has a girlfriend. Anyway, without going into too much detail, he basically made this joke about our friendship/he gave our "friendship" another title before saying it could easily be misconstrued as FWBs so maybe we should pretend he didn't just say that...I could barely believe it when I read this text as he would never say this in person! It just seemed that he would make a sexual comment like that at all.

Should I be alarmed or he is just having a harmless little flirt? He's my best friend and I am not used to such comments from him...

All you're gonna get here is people taking wild guesses at the thoughts of a complete stranger.
Reply 2
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
All you're gonna get here is people taking wild guesses at the thoughts of a complete stranger.

As is the case with every such Q on the internet really...
As is the case with every such Q on the internet really...

Indeed but with so little information to go on apart from an ambiguous text message I don't know how anyone can offer anything reliable.
Reply 4
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Indeed but with so little information to go on apart from an ambiguous text message I don't know how anyone can offer anything reliable.

Well...what information would help? I did try to add some background info..
Normally I would say ask him.

HOWEVER

You have been friends with him for 8 years so if I were you I would just forget about it / stay quiet. If he brings it up again then you'll know. If he doesn't then there's nothing to think about.
Ummm I don't get it.

You've been friends for eight years but you say there's been none of that for a decade?

How does that add up?
Reply 7
Ummm I don't get it.

You've been friends for eight years but you say there's been none of that for a decade?

How does that add up?

He has not made any sexual comments towards me until recently. The friendship has always been platonic.
Reply 8
Oh I see what you mean. Yeah I can never remember exactly! it's something between 8 - 10 years, can't remember the exact year we met.
Reply 9
Can you type the actual text to us? Your first post is a bit confusing.
I am unable to give any good or sensible advice based on what you have told me.

However, I can give baseless and uninformed advice. I say that you should tell him you love him, get married the next day and live happily ever after. Somehow I doubt my advice is useful, but if it is then I'll be impressed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
There is only one adult way to settle the overbearing sexual tension between you both...

PORK JOUST!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending