The Student Room Group

Dyspraxia and Anxiety has made me rather emotionally immature. I'm 22 and act 15. :/

Not sure if this is the rich area to post in but let's give it a go.

I'm not even a student anymore, I've graduated. I'm unemployed, live with my parents, on ESA diagnosed as off sick 'due to anxiety/depression' and despite occasional motivation to volunteer, I seem to take an indecent amount of pleasure out of mildly trolling TSR with silly responses and threads, as well as memes and other things I should well have grown out of.

At a recent assessment for a mental health issue a doctor who had never met me before claimed to note symptoms of Aspergers in me. Although my mum is not convinced I have Aspergers but rather have Dyspraxia exacerbated presently by my anxiety and low motivation, my dad thinks that I might have it. I'm seeing a doctor about it next week.

I think it is an emotional self-defence mechanism against my darker thoughts and low self-esteem, nonetheless I am torn between feeling like I am being irresponsible and childish and just enjoying being a prat. I am afraid that I will not survive the real world, and that my peers have all grew up without me, in particular in the area of social anxiety and relationships but also independent life skills :/

I'm not sure what can be done about this?
Reply 1
Unless your parents are doctors, I'd stick with the advice/diagnosis you get from the medical profession.

Wait for the outcome of your appointment next week go from there. Make sure that you tell the doctor about your concerns. Write down a list to take with you, so that you remember everything.
I feel so sorry for you but as I understand it trying to get a doctor's appointment for dyspraxia is almost non existent. Doctors will give children a diagnosis via a child psychologist but you will be waiting months for a date for a referral via your doctor. If you think you have dyspraxia and I am surprised the learning support dept at your collige/uni could not help you. You can have a dyspraxia assessment as I was diagnosed with dyspraxia a year or so ago before I began uni with someone who was recommended to me by my mother's friend.......... haven't got her full name but I remember her surname was Dickens and I went to her home in Berkshire. She said dyspraxia can affect I think she called it cognitive processing and due to my standardised scales I got extra time in exams and she helped me to get the DSA allowance for uni.
She recommended tons of stuff in the report which my uni had not heard of even ergonomic equipment like proper seating for my weak back. They were impressed with her. It takes a while for the all the tests to be done but worth it as I feel I can cope with uni now as I did Cogmed she recommended to help me with my oh so badd memory skills. Learning support at my uni has been just great...........
I used to get very depressed but I am now happier - a bit! - as I started jogging to release endorphins and I do yoga to calm me down and it helped me sleep much better.
Enjoy your life - you deserve to have some happiness. Susan.
Original post by susanjones
I feel so sorry for you but as I understand it trying to get a doctor's appointment for dyspraxia is almost non existent. Doctors will give children a diagnosis via a child psychologist but you will be waiting months for a date for a referral via your doctor. If you think you have dyspraxia and I am surprised the learning support dept at your collige/uni could not help you. You can have a dyspraxia assessment as I was diagnosed with dyspraxia a year or so ago before I began uni with someone who was recommended to me by my mother's friend.......... haven't got her full name but I remember her surname was Dickens and I went to her home in Berkshire. She said dyspraxia can affect I think she called it cognitive processing and due to my standardised scales I got extra time in exams and she helped me to get the DSA allowance for uni.
She recommended tons of stuff in the report which my uni had not heard of even ergonomic equipment like proper seating for my weak back. They were impressed with her. It takes a while for the all the tests to be done but worth it as I feel I can cope with uni now as I did Cogmed she recommended to help me with my oh so badd memory skills. Learning support at my uni has been just great...........
I used to get very depressed but I am now happier - a bit! - as I started jogging to release endorphins and I do yoga to calm me down and it helped me sleep much better.
Enjoy your life - you deserve to have some happiness. Susan.

Thank you. I did get help with my Dyspraxia at Uni, I'm now concerned with the relative lack of it since I graduated. I'm glad things are working out for you too, Susan :smile:
Original post by Smash Bandicoot

I'm not even a student anymore, I've graduated. I'm unemployed, live with my parents, on ESA diagnosed as off sick 'due to anxiety/depression' and despite occasional motivation to volunteer, I seem to take an indecent amount of pleasure out of mildly trolling TSR with silly responses and threads, as well as memes and other things I should well have grown out of.

At a recent assessment for a mental health issue a doctor who had never met me before claimed to note symptoms of Aspergers in me. Although my mum is not convinced I have Aspergers but rather have Dyspraxia exacerbated presently by my anxiety and low motivation, my dad thinks that I might have it. I'm seeing a doctor about it next week.

I think it is an emotional self-defence mechanism against my darker thoughts and low self-esteem, nonetheless I am torn between feeling like I am being irresponsible and childish and just enjoying being a prat. I am afraid that I will not survive the real world, and that my peers have all grew up without me, in particular in the area of social anxiety and relationships but also independent life skills :/

I have a mild dyspraxia diagnosis and it can certainly be affecting causing your anxiety, however problems with relationships can be to do with the autistic spectrum. I would see what your doctor says, as for life skills it took me a lot more practice than "normal" so keep at it.

Can you try to get a referal for a comprehensive assessment for everything so you know where you stand?
Reply 5
Original post by Smash Bandicoot

Hey, not sure if this is helpful, but I am in a similar situation (except still at university). This is so weird to read!

It seems that it is sometimes difficult to discern between dyspraxia and aspergers, especially when dyspraxia also has an impact on social aspects and mental health.

I think its a good idea that you're getting checked out for aspergers, mostly because there seems to be more support for adults with aspergers than those with dyspraxia, and more awareness/understanding about it etc despite them presenting in similar ways and probably benefiting from similar help.

But yeah, not sure how you would get access to help without an aspergers diagnosis, so sorry if this isn't very helpful... and good luck.
First of all, people with dyspraxia are some of the most creative and intelligent people out there. But they think differently and that often stops people recognising their talents.

Secondly perhaps you do have Asperger's, but perhaps not since you care enough what people think to post here and ask for help.

Have faith in yourself. Look around for help online - it is out there.

Lots of great people are more childlike than others - frequently creatives - and that helps their acting/writing/painting/whatever they want to do.
If you empathise with other people, you're not immature.

You just haven't found your niche yet.
But it is out there waiting for you to find it.
Original post by levare
Hey, not sure if this is helpful, but I am in a similar situation (except still at university). This is so weird to read!

It seems that it is sometimes difficult to discern between dyspraxia and aspergers, especially when dyspraxia also has an impact on social aspects and mental health.

I think its a good idea that you're getting checked out for aspergers, mostly because there seems to be more support for adults with aspergers than those with dyspraxia, and more awareness/understanding about it etc despite them presenting in similar ways and probably benefiting from similar help.

But yeah, not sure how you would get access to help without an aspergers diagnosis, so sorry if this isn't very helpful... and good luck.

There's no support for adults with Aspergers / Autism
Reply 8
Original post by OU Student
There's no support for adults with Aspergers / Autism

Oh okay, sorry! I thought there may be support groups or help finding jobs or something. But yeah sorry, I have no idea, just interested to see what thoughts people have.
Original post by levare
Oh okay, sorry! I thought there may be support groups or help finding jobs or something. But yeah sorry, I have no idea, just interested to see what thoughts people have.

There some support groups; (which I've found awful due to the issues I have) but there's no help for anything really.
Reply 10
Original post by OU Student
There some support groups; (which I've found awful due to the issues I have) but there's no help for anything really.

Ah, I see :frown:
Thank you all for your help so far :smile:
Going to bump this because my maturity has gone on a downslide in the last 3 months evidently.

Quick Reply

Latest