The Student Room Group

Would you have owned a slave?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clip
might as well go way, way back to the romans and greeks.

Nevermind having slaves from one underdeveloped part of the world - have slaves from everywhere. Go to war with the next city, win, take them all as your slaves. Hope you don't lose any wars, basically.

This is spartaaaa!!?
Original post by SophiaLDN
Lol at all these very kind slave owners. So sweet, you'd let them take a bath and sing songs with them whilst you tell them how different you are to those other masters.

Like unpaid labour for shelter? Lol stop it, we all know you'd whip them into oblivion and be rapists just like your ancestors.

Lol I would be jamming in Jamaica if I was seen by a white man at the wrong time of the day.
Original post by tazarooni89
I wouldn't have considered owning a slave to be cruel, in and of itself. It's what you actually do to them, or force them to do for you that could end up being cruel. In the most basic sense it's just the same as employing someone to work for you; except instead of paying them money, you give them food, a place to live etc.

Except that if they wanted to leave, they couldn't...
It wasn't at all like being employed, at least for most slaves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's just the same as employing someone to work for you; except instead of paying them money, you give them food, a place to live etc.

it's nothing like employing someone. An employment contract is a consensual relationship. Slavery is not. And house slaves would often be expected to do much more than just work, they would often be expected to sexually service the master. If they became a burden, they would be sold.

What do you think it would be like to be a slave in a salt mine? Or a galley slave who had to row a giant trireme while you were chained to your seat and whipped? I think you have an extraordinarily fuzzy understanding of what slavery was about

What does your religion say about slavery? Do you think your views on it come from your religion?
(edited 9 years ago)
Probably would have been the normal thing to do? Back then we would have had the same ideals as everyone else, most likely. If I had the choice now though? No.

I can imagine I would have treated any slaves well though. I don't believe my personality would have been any different.
Original post by MrMango
lets go back to the African slave trade and the process of invading Africa and shipping its residents to America and Britain.. do you think you would have owned a slave or would you have thought it was to cruel etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. While the idea of someone doing all your chores for you for free is attractive, these people would be resentful and hate you, do things like spitting into your food, and it's bad for your psychological health to live in close proximity to people who hate you. Employing a person and paying them a salary is so much healthier, because salaried people can live whenever they want, too.
Original post by BobbieShamrock
Except that if they wanted to leave, they couldn't...
It wasn't at all like being employed, at least for most slaves.

Original post by young_guns
it's nothing like employing someone. An employment contract is a consensual relationship. Slavery is not. And house slaves would often be expected to do much more than just work, they would often be expected to sexually service the master. If they became a burden, they would be sold.

What do you think it would be like to be a slave in a salt mine? Or a galley slave who had to row a giant trireme while you were chained to your seat and whipped? I think you have an extraordinarily fuzzy understanding of what slavery was about

Yes, but that's for "most slaves". I'm not talking about what slavery was actually historically like for most people. Rather, I'm talking about the concept of slavery in and of itself. There's no reason why it must necessarily be accompanied by any of the horrible things that it has historically been associated with.

If ones lives in a society where slavery is legal, its not particularly difficult to own a slave who simply works for you in return for a place in your home and in your family. There's nothing forcing you to be violent towards them, or to expect sexual service, or to keep them against their will.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
NO.. deffinitely..
Yes, but that's for "most slaves". I'm not talking about what slavery was actually historically like for most people. Rather, I'm talking about the concept of slavery in and of itself. There's no reason why it must necessarily be accompanied by any of the horrible things that it has historically been associated with.

If ones lives in a society where slavery is legal, its not particularly difficult to own a slave who simply works for you in return for a place in your home, and even in your family. There's nothing forcing you to be violent towards them, or to expect sexual service, or to keep them against their will.

Slavery by definition is keeping someone captive (at least for a set amount of time) and forcing them to work, whether they want to or not.
Even slaves who were treated well (and there certainly were a few) often desired freedom.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Then you most likely would have been shot if you were found.

The black people that sold others in Africa were the worst participants actually. Betraying their own race.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol what? You obviously do not know a lot about history if you are blaming the black Africans that 'sold' other blacks.

The white people are too blame. Also, there are some accounts where the black slave traders ended up slaves themselves. Also, different tribes would have sold and kidnapped other tribes.

Don't you think that another person owning you against your will is pretty horrible? And using either force or the implicit threat of force to hold you as their property?

I accept that for some slaves it was not uniformly horrible. If you were an educated Greek in the Roman times, you might have been taken as a house slave and become a tutor to the children, and then perhaps been given a business to run and then made a freedman. But you were still owned. And that is horrible.

If ones lives in a society where slavery is legal, its not particularly difficult to own a slave who simply works for you in return for a place in your home and in your family.

I'm sorry but that's just asinine. It's not like they're engaging in some kind of barter trade, that they be permitted to live in your home in exchange for work. They were purchased and then ordered to live and work in the home. That's how it worked. It wasn't some kind of contract where they were a slave in exchange for food and board.

By the way, I think you dodged the question about what your religion says about slavery and how that influenced your view of slavery.
Slavery by definition is keeping someone captive (at least for a set amount of time) and forcing them to work, whether they want to or not.
Even slaves who were treated well (and there certainly were a few) often desired freedom.

On the other hand, there were also people, for example in the Roman Empire, who would voluntarily approach slave dealers and choose to be sold to a master, when they couldn't find other employment.

So again, it is not necessarily the case that a slave desires freedom but doesn't get it. It is only "usually" the case.
Don't you think that another person owning you against your will is pretty horrible? And using either force or the implicit threat of force to hold you as their property?

I accept that for some slaves it was not uniformly horrible. If you were an educated Greek in the Roman times, you might have been taken as a house slave and become a tutor to the children, and then perhaps been given a business to run and then made a freedman. But you were still owned. And that is horrible.

I'm sorry but that's just asinine. It's not like they're engaging in some kind of barter trade, that they be permitted to live in your home in exchange for work. They were purchased and then ordered to live and work in the home. That's how it worked. It wasn't some kind of contract where they were a slave in exchange for food and board.

Again, with all these "past tense verbs" - you're talking about slavery in historical practice, rather than slavery as a theoretical concept. That may be how it happened then, but it is not how it necessarily must always happen.

Yes, the concept of being owned against your will is horrible. But that is only if it is in fact, against your will (see my post above).

By the way, I think you dodged the question about what your religion says about slavery and how that influenced your view of slavery.

I don't know what you want me to say about it exactly. I'm a Muslim. You can easily look up what my religion says about it. Naturally, if I disagreed with it then I wouldn't have chosen Islam in the first place.

Since Islam arrived in a society where slavery was widespread, I think it would have been inappropriate for it to just to say "Slavery is now prohibited" leaving thousands of people suddenly with no job and nowhere to go. However, it is designed such that slavery reduces gradually when they are ready for it (e.g. Qur'an 24:33, if a slave asks for freedom, you are to set them free and give them some money to help them start their new life). It is also designed such that, those who remain slaves during that process of gradual reduction are treated well (e.g. violence against them is prohibited).
(edited 9 years ago)
On the other hand, there were also people, for example in the Roman Empire, who would voluntarily approach slave dealers and choose to be sold to a master, when they couldn't find other employment.

So again, it is not necessarily the case that a slave desires freedom but doesn't get it. It is only "usually" the case.

Exactly, it was highly unusual that things would work out for the slave. (Unless you have evidence to the contrary?)

(and we must talk in the past tense because how can we judge the concept without looking at past examples?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I would have owned slaves and probably have been quite cruel to them also if I was a white Anglo in the period
Exactly, it was highly unusual that things would work out for the slave. (Unless you have evidence to the contrary?)

(and we must talk in the past tense because how can we judge the concept without looking at past examples?)

You can judge the concept on its own merits. It doesn't matter what additional baggage has come with it in the past. Strip out all the extras and look at it for what it is. If it is theoretically possible to operate the concept in a beneficial way, then it is not harmful in and of itself.

Suppose that there is a car that has historically only ever been driven by awful drivers, and has been in millions of accidents. It does not necessarily mean the car is bad, it may just mean that the drivers have been bad, and that a good driver would have no trouble with it.
(edited 9 years ago)
id own a gun to kill people who own slaves

I probably would have owned slaves if I was a Roman patrician, particularly for the sexual purposes (which, I would add, was quite normal then).
Is this the only way you can get laid? Are you that bad?
You can judge the concept on its own merits. It doesn't matter what additional baggage has come with it in the past. Strip out all the extras and look at it for what it is.

Suppose that there is a car that has historically only ever been driven by awful drivers, and has been in millions of accidents. It does not necessarily mean the car is bad, it may just mean that the drivers have been bad. Similar thing really.

Not similar at all (not only because that example is totally unrealistic)... Ugh oh well nevermind. So long as you don't start going round enslaving people your view is pretty harmless and not worth the argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
Lol same as I'm black.. I think I would have been a run-away slave though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Run-away slaves are awesome.

Quick Reply

Latest