The Student Room Group

Am I going to be unempoyed despite my education?

Hello!
Recently, I got into an argument with my father that a degree in Business and Management is practically useless after you graduate. In his opinion, there is no point in studying something so fundamental and general, not securing me a job in the future. My question: Are there enough job oppurtunities for foreigners in the UK in that specific field?
I'd say your father is right in saying that business and management are quite fundamental. You'll be able to pick up those things when you enter work or do work experience. I would say, especially if you are applying from overseas, go for Economics, as you'll still be in a similar field but with a much broader scope.
Reply 2
Original post by SlavyanaD
Are there enough job oppurtunities for foreigners in the UK in that specific field?

Please specify foreigner. If you are not a EU citizen than your job opportunities in the UK are a lot more limited regardless of what you study.

I don't agree with donutellme, a lot of things I learned during my business management degree are not that easy to pick up when you enter work. The important thing is to choose wisely where you are studying, and use all opportunities to enhance your overall profile and employability (volunteer, placements, get involved in a society, learn another language, ...)
You might pick up knowledge you wouldn't (necessarily) learn early on in a career, but the degree itself ain't much cop. Also, you can't really call "Business & Management" a field, it's too broad. You've not stated what you actually want to do after graduating, but unless you want to do a grad scheme or a specific job which needs a degree, you may as well not bother.
I did a management degree and I am not unemployed. f you get relevant work experience that will really help. I now work for the NHS has a HR manager. Economics is not a good subject its full of dribble and out dated theories, not really relevant for the real world. Only you can make sure you are not unemployed.
Reply 5
I learnt that the Chinese characters for penguin are the same as those for 'business goose' (because penguins look a bit like geese in suits).

Oops. Posted that in the wrong thread!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending