The Student Room Group

Dropping out mid year 13?

I'm currently in year 13 of sixth form and I'm hating it, it has become a cycle of misery for me and is turning my life into a complete bore.
I am currently attending a highly pressurised school, and have always been labelled 'intelligent' so my parents have high expectations for me, and want me to continue, however it's making my existence feel unbearable, I know this just isn't the right path for me.
Since the beginning of my first year of sixth form I have been struggling with an eating disorder as well as mild depression, which I guess has also made it tougher for me to concentrate on anything else.
Nearing exam time I have severe anxiety, and the only way I can sit exams is if I feel like I know everything, or I end up having panic attacks, so there isn't really an option for me to take a more relaxed approach to the examination process.
I haven't been attending school for 5 weeks, as I can't cope with the environment and constant testing, and have fallen behind however my parents are convinced I am able to go back. I can't put myself through the hell of last year again I'd rather drop out or fail, than feel they way I did around exam time last year and have to listen to everyone rambling on about uni when I have no prospects of going.
I'm currently studying Chemistry, biology and psychology. At AS I got a C in chem, B in biology, B in art and A in psychology. My GCSE's were good, 2 A*'s, 5A's and 2B's.
I started the uni application process as it seemed to be what everyone else was doing, but I was only vaguely interested in the course and i just don't feel it's worth my time or money anymore.
I am also currently working part time and it seems to be the only thing I currently enjoy, but again is taking away from 'valuable study time'. I really just want to know what my options are. I don't think I can continue with school any further, it's making me feel ill. I have never considered anything else so I feel like I'm clueless to alternatives to A level, I don't want this to screw up my life, but by the way my parents talk if I don't get my A levels I am condemned to a life of manual labor jobs, long hours and rubbish pay, which is making me feel even worse about the whole situation. What should I do and what are my choices from here?
Thankyou
Is there any way that you could stop for now, take the rest of the year out and then restart year 13 (possibly at a different school or college) next year? Having got this far it would be a shame to waste it, on the other hand if you're really struggling and it's affecting your health there seems little point in carrying on. In terms of exams there are things they can maybe do like giving you rest breaks or sitting in a smaller room, although this may or may not help given your particular situation! Either way, I do think it could be worth trying to organise a meeting with your parents and school so everyone knows what's going on and can maybe help discuss your best options, even if that is just dropping out as you say.

Edit: Another thing, could you self-study the rest of your A levels and just sit the exams in school or somewhere else? Sorry to hear you're struggling, I know how hard it can be and it's not nice at all :hugs:
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you considered moving schools? I know it would be a big upheaval, but perhaps you could cope better in a less pressured environment? What do your parents think?

Or you could take a year out, and learn things at your own pace, so that when you come back you are already ahead of everyone else, and there is less pressure? You're clearly intelligent - you essentially have ABB, which is a lot higher than plenty of people after AS.

What really interests you? Where do you think you might want to end up in life? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest