The Student Room Group

Can someone help me shorten my answer? (long post)

It's a part a) question for the Henry VIII topic - we only have 25 minutes so I figured I should spend about 10 minutes on 1 para, 10 minutes on the other than 5 for the conclusion.

It took me about an hour to think of this paragraph and 20 mins to write - it needs to be 10!

I should get quicker at being able to answer the questions but I don't get how you're supposed to fit everything in just 25 mins, it's crazy! :angry:

Anyway it's kind of like my first para split into 2 parts. 1st part being comparing the sources and 2nd being the provenance
We areimmediately told in source 1 that Wolsey “considered himself the equal ofKings”. Vergil feels his arrogance cameabout as a result of Henry giving Wolsey more power than was necessary,according to source 3 Wolsey stated “he could undertake, by himself, almost allpublic duties”. A similar concept isexpressed in source 2 through Skelton’s poem which indicates a high level ofagreement with source 1, “and makes them bow the knee”. In addition to the word “bow,” Skelton usesthe word “makes” to express the fact that everybody was forced to bow down tohim. Regardless of the class they camefrom, being forced to bow down to Wolsey reinforced that Wolsey consideredeveryone to be beneath him. As well ashaving an arrogant persona he was described as being hostile in source 3 which“created great irritation” causing him to be very unpopular amongst all classesand this is in agreement with Skelton’s description of Wolsey’s harsh treatmentin source 2, “shakes them by the ear, and brings them in such fear”.
There seems tobe a high level of mutual support between sources 2 and 3 on the extent ofWolsey’s arrogance and unpopularity however these sources arguably could havebeen written for different purposes. Thereare strong phrases which run through source 2 such as “blood” and “fear” whichconjure up an image of an extremely arrogant and unpopular figure. However, as opposed to taking the poem atface value, we have to take into account that Skelton continually mocked Wolseyperhaps as an attempt to gain fame and fortune. The rhyme scheme adds to the impression that the poem was written forsatirical purposes and greatly exaggerated Wolsey’s characteristics. These factors therefore reduce the weight ofsource 2. In contrast to source 2, themain theme which runs through source 1 is not satire, but anger or possibly envy. Similarly to source 2, source 1 containsdescriptions of Wolsey which may have been greatly exaggerated, (also makingthis source less credible) but as a result of a different motive. It has been well documented that the letterwas sent to Rome out of spite, as an attempt to undermine Wolsey’s aspirationsto become Cardinal.

:ta:

Reply 1
Original post by Maya331
It's a part a) question for the Henry VIII topic - we only have 25 minutes so I figured I should spend about 10 minutes on 1 para, 10 minutes on the other than 5 for the conclusion.

It took me about an hour to think of this paragraph and 20 mins to write - it needs to be 10!

I should get quicker at being able to answer the questions but I don't get how you're supposed to fit everything in just 25 mins, it's crazy! :angry:

Anyway it's kind of like my first para split into 2 parts. 1st part being comparing the sources and 2nd being the provenance
We areimmediately told in source 1 that Wolsey “considered himself the equal ofKings”. Vergil feels his arrogance cameabout as a result of Henry giving Wolsey more power than was necessary,according to source 3 Wolsey stated “he could undertake, by himself, almost allpublic duties”. A similar concept isexpressed in source 2 through Skelton’s poem which indicates a high level ofagreement with source 1, “and makes them bow the knee”. In addition to the word “bow,” Skelton usesthe word “makes” to express the fact that everybody was forced to bow down tohim. Regardless of the class they camefrom, being forced to bow down to Wolsey reinforced that Wolsey consideredeveryone to be beneath him. As well ashaving an arrogant persona he was described as being hostile in source 3 which“created great irritation” causing him to be very unpopular amongst all classesand this is in agreement with Skelton’s description of Wolsey’s harsh treatmentin source 2, “shakes them by the ear, and brings them in such fear”.
There seems tobe a high level of mutual support between sources 2 and 3 on the extent ofWolsey’s arrogance and unpopularity however these sources arguably could havebeen written for different purposes. Thereare strong phrases which run through source 2 such as “blood” and “fear” whichconjure up an image of an extremely arrogant and unpopular figure. However, as opposed to taking the poem atface value, we have to take into account that Skelton continually mocked Wolseyperhaps as an attempt to gain fame and fortune. The rhyme scheme adds to the impression that the poem was written forsatirical purposes and greatly exaggerated Wolsey’s characteristics. These factors therefore reduce the weight ofsource 2. In contrast to source 2, themain theme which runs through source 1 is not satire, but anger or possibly envy. Similarly to source 2, source 1 containsdescriptions of Wolsey which may have been greatly exaggerated, (also makingthis source less credible) but as a result of a different motive. It has been well documented that the letterwas sent to Rome out of spite, as an attempt to undermine Wolsey’s aspirationsto become Cardinal.

:ta:

Personally, I think this is a great comparison and roughly the amount I would expect! Maybe the provenance part could be more concise for me - when I did Source questions in History we were told a clear, simple explanation of the source's tone/content in relation to its provenance was enough, so don't worry so much about links here. Your previous analysis is great and that's the bulk of the marks if I remember correctly.
I also remember being told to reach a conclusion as to which source is therefore the most useful/reliable - idk if this is also something you need to do, but find out - it definitely seems likely so that you are driving an argument.
Just practice, practice, practice timing wise - it's always been my downfall but if there's a checklist of things you're on the lookout for before you even see the sources such as loaded language, satire, the types of provenance you know to be somewhat unreliable e.g. diaries are often only personal views etc - then you're already in a good place.
Best of luck with it! I dropped History last year bc the topics were/would have carried on being horrendous, but I do somewhat miss it!
Reply 2
Original post by itsokk
Personally, I think this is a great comparison and roughly the amount I would expect! Maybe the provenance part could be more concise for me - when I did Source questions in History we were told a clear, simple explanation of the source's tone/content in relation to its provenance was enough, so don't worry so much about links here. Your previous analysis is great and that's the bulk of the marks if I remember correctly.
I also remember being told to reach a conclusion as to which source is therefore the most useful/reliable - idk if this is also something you need to do, but find out - it definitely seems likely so that you are driving an argument.
Just practice, practice, practice timing wise - it's always been my downfall but if there's a checklist of things you're on the lookout for before you even see the sources such as loaded language, satire, the types of provenance you know to be somewhat unreliable e.g. diaries are often only personal views etc - then you're already in a good place.
Best of luck with it! I dropped History last year bc the topics were/would have carried on being horrendous, but I do somewhat miss it!

I know what you mean, it's a tough subject but a great one! Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. And yeah I'll just hand this in as it is and keep practising time-wise in the future :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending