The Student Room Group

How are you revising for your mocks? Share study tips :)

For a lot of you the end of November & December is going to be all about exams!

Some of you will have 14 exams in 7 days, some of you may have them spread out over a couple of weeks.

Have you got a revision plan? :cookie:

Which study tools or revision techniques will you be using? Mind maps? Note cards? Practice exam questions perhaps? :beard:

Share your plans and if you've done your mocks why not share your top tips?

You can post in the GCSE mock exams 2014/2015 thread here :smile:

Good luck everyone :h:

Scroll to see replies

getting someone to test me always helps!
using little que cards with questions on one side and answers on the other
There is phone app called "flash cards", which is really good to use for cue cards!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JessicaLucy09
getting someone to test me always helps!
using little que cards with questions on one side and answers on the other

I used to like having a conversation with a friend about what I had been revising - that used to help me realise how much or how little my brain had taken in.

Have you just started your mocks? How many do you have?

Good luck :biggrin:
I concentrate hardcore for 45 minutes, then have a 15 minute rest. For the first 15 minutes of next 45 minutes I will test myself on what I learnt within the original 45 mins.
Reply 5
treat it like an actual exam, then it will be easier in may:smile:
Original post by dani t
treat it like an actual exam, then it will be easier in may:smile:

Have you already done your mocks? How did you find them?
lol seriously for my real history gcse exam i didn't study this one topic at all and the whole bloody paper was on that one topic i didn't study but it was source based and i ended up with an A on that paper so don't panic
5 Main ways for me: Past paper, Flash Cards, Mind maps, Post-it notes everywhere & writing stuff down continuously. Worked well so far :smile:
In the middle of year 11 mocks at the moment and am absolutely shattered :') two days left, but all the hard exams are out the way so they should be fine.
For any year 11s about to have mocks, it's not as bad as you think! I got myself so worked up for them and came out the first day feeling a whole lot better. I would take lots of water into the exam... It really helps, and take loads of food for the breaks in between! :smile: also if it gets cold in your exam hall bring a jumper because being cold is so distracting. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by ChloexCharlotte
In the middle of year 11 mocks at the moment and am absolutely shattered :') two days left, but all the hard exams are out the way so they should be fine.
For any year 11s about to have mocks, it's not as bad as you think! I got myself so worked up for them and came out the first day feeling a whole lot better. I would take lots of water into the exam... It really helps, and take loads of food for the breaks in between! :smile: also if it gets cold in your exam hall bring a jumper because being cold is so distracting. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile: Hope you do well!
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
I have finished my mocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last week actually...

I know a few grades already but my school is being stupid and making us wait till next week Friday to go to the hall and get our results in envelopes, like the 'real' thing... :/
Reply 13
I revise differently for every subject.

Maths, I watch videos and practice questions, then do past papers.
English, past papers. Sometimes I read the book I'm studying again.
Science, reading exercise books, MyGCSEscience for Chemistry, and past papers.

History, Mindmaps.
Sociology and RE, Study guides, provided by school.
i would pretend i am a teacher and teach my imaginary class whilst sitting on my bed! it reallllllly helped!

or sometimes i'd revise and then write qustions for myself about the topic i'd studied, and then go for a walk to the shops, eat, play a game etc and later come back and answer my questions and mark them so you get a clear idea of what you need to go over..

good luck :smile:

REMEMBER it is vital to break mini breaks in between as this will actually refresh your brain!!!
Masturbate at least three times a day. You have to release that pressure if you want results.
Reply 16
You could download mock exams and get someone to mark but for you

Brainstorms

Highlight key facts worked for me

Revising groups with friends
Reply 17
Making study groups with your friends is the best tip, I think. But you have to be careful about the ones not taking it seriously though. However if you study in a group and make study goals, share exam questions and brainstorm ideas together that seriously helps because you may have missed out a snippet of info but will remember at least some parts of it in your exam if your friend had discussed it with you...trust me it helps !!! :biggrin: And if you cant find a group of friends who are committed enough to take that seriously like you do, maybe you could do a forum discussion about the subject and partake in discussions that way !! :smile:
I'm currently in Year 11 and am in the middle of doing my mocks - have three more days of it left! My main advice would be to not panic. I was literally panic stricken the night before, but if you know your stuff, you'll walk out of that exam feeling fine.

My best tips would be to make your own revision notes so that YOU can understand it, not what the textbook or your teacher feels is good for you. I would also recommend practice papers - they are your best friends. Especially in science, once you're familiar with exam techniques, you'll ace those exams.

Good luck :smile:
I'm currently doing my mocks this week and I have 13 exams, I'd advise you to revise regularly and do loads of past papers under the time condion (its annoying but really will help) to get a feel of what it will be like

Quick Reply

Latest