The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Personal Statements

I've heard that Oxbridge couldn't care less about extra-curricular activities in your PS. But since you submit the same PS for all five applications, doesn't that make it more difficult applying to Unis that do like extra-curricular activities?
Reply 1
Original post by Wissenschaft
I've heard that Oxbridge couldn't care less about extra-curricular activities in your PS. But since you submit the same PS for all five applications, doesn't that make it more difficult applying to Unis that do like extra-curricular activities?

If you're aiming for Oxbridge type unis, it is recommended that rougly 25% of your statement talks about extra-curricular activities and your commitments outside of studies, whilst the other 75% is completely academic and related to your chosen course to study.
Oxbridge type unis want a strong academic sense but also want rounded people. They also want to know how and why your extra-curricular activities are relevent, and why they have prepared you for university life and the course.
For example, the duke of Edinburgh award teaches perseverance and to view situations, when trying to navigate, from different perspectives. These are important for scientists who must carry on with experiments and must interpret results. Poor example but you get the idea that they want more than just mentioning I play rugby.
Reply 2
Agree with the poster above me. Always link your extra-curriculars to the skills they have given you, then either link back to your subjects or how they can help you thrive at degree level in general. Admissions tutors love this whole linking web, they do.
Original post by itsokk
Agree with the poster above me. Always link your extra-curriculars to the skills they have given you, then either link back to your subjects or how they can help you thrive at degree level in general. Admissions tutors love this whole linking web, they do.

They really don't.

Listing skills does not demonstrate skills.

Stating the obvious is not a good use of space.

Non-subject relevant ECs should be in there because they are fundamental parts of who you are as a person. There's no need to clumsily link them to skills and if there is nothing in your life that fits the bill it is absolutely ok to submit a PS that doesn't have a load if non-subject relevant ECs in.

Better to use the space to give an example of a time you have demonstrated skills/aptitude or gone out if your way to find out more about your subject than to say you like reading books, watching telly, seeing friends and watching films.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
They really don't.

Listing skills does not demonstrate skills.

Stating the obvious is not a good use of space.

Non-subject relevant ECs should be in there because they are fundamental parts of who you are as a person. There's no need to clumsily link them to skills and if there is nothing in your life that fits the bill it is absolutely ok to submit a PS that doesn't have a load if non-subject relevant ECs in.

Better to use the space to give an example of a time you have demonstrated skills/aptitude or gone out if your way to find out more about your subject than to say you like reading books, watching telly, seeing friends and watching films.

I don't remember saying that doing any of those would be a good idea... Clearly the extra-curriculars you're listing need to be carefully picked, and if the skills are self-explanatory no tedious links need to be crafted out of thin air. And of course you need evidence to show interest outside of your A-Level syllabus, ECs should not be taking up this space and it's entirely possible to make this section concise yet relevant.
What I was trying to get across is that choosing ECs which complement the rest of your PS is very important. I spoke about my DofE, Gold Arts Award + volunteer work with the NCS in relation to my degree and independent study skills. Tutors themselves have given feedback to say that the strongest applicants are those who can link extra-curricular activities to their chosen course of study/development into an undergrad.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I can't say what 'Oxbridge-type' unis want, but Oxford at least are not interested at all in whether you are a rounded person. This podcast explicitly repudiates that myth:

http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/personal-statement-ucas-form

They are interested in things you have done that demonstrate your interest in and commitment to your subject, and these may be extra-curricular, but general activities that (supposedly) demonstrate your general skills, qualities etc. are entirely irrelevant. And attempts to draw tenuous connections between entirely non-academic activities and a specific academic subject can often read very clumsily.

Clearly some universities are interested in non-academic stuff, so you have a judgment call to make there, but if you're applying to Oxford (I'm pretty sure the same will apply to Cambridge) don't be influenced by this myth about the importance of being a 'rounded' individual.
Original post by LouN1997
If you're aiming for Oxbridge type unis, it is recommended that rougly 25% of your statement talks about extra-curricular activities and your commitments outside of studies, whilst the other 75% is completely academic and related to your chosen course to study.
Oxbridge type unis want a strong academic sense but also want rounded people. They also want to know how and why your extra-curricular activities are relevent, and why they have prepared you for university life and the course.
For example, the duke of Edinburgh award teaches perseverance and to view situations, when trying to navigate, from different perspectives. These are important for scientists who must carry on with experiments and must interpret results. Poor example but you get the idea that they want more than just mentioning I play rugby.

Obviously they want some evidence of rounded-ness. But less so than other universities; therefore isn't it a disadvantage applying to Oxbridge, as their ideas of personal statements are different to all the rest?
I put all my ECs into 2 sentences, then did another 1 or 2 on ECs linked to my subject. In total, it was no more than about 5 lines -- definitely a lot less than 25%!!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm in my first term at Cambridge. I had one line about ECs in my PS, none of which related to my degree course. If you are applying for Oxbridge it's likely that you'll be looking at other "better regarded" Unis for you other choices. They are unlikely to be bothered either. I got 5 offers - Durham, York, Leeds, Nottingham, so none of them were phased by it. Applies to most courses (medicine probably the biggest exception).
Reply 9
I applied to do physics at oxford (still waiting for an interview/rejection) and about 85% if my ps was academic and the reasons why i want to study physics. I didn't really go into much depth at all about my hobbies. Although I mentioned them and said I would be happy to discuss them in an interview. Hopefully I haven't shot myself in the foot by sounding like a boring person!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsokk

Tutors themselves have given feedback to say that the strongest applicants are those who can link extra-curricular activities to their chosen course of study/development into an undergrad.

It sounds like you are conflating subject relevant ECs (which are key to a strong PS) and generic ECs.

Admissions tutors are clear on the need for the former. I've never met one who considered the latter to be important for a PS to be considered strong. In fact most admissions staff I work with consider generic ECs (including things like DofE) to be a waste of space. Space that would be better devoted to discussion of activities or interests DIRECTLY relevant to the subject applied to.
I applied to Cambridge three years ago, now in my final year here, so I have a little experience with this.

My ps was about 25-30% EC/responsibilities. But I made sure that I linked each one to why those skills would be useful for both university study and my chosen subject (physics). I actually think that they can be a great way to show that you understand what uni study (especially at Oxbridge) entails (eg. time management, dedication, perseverance).

I agree that it's more important to use the space for specifically academic things, but as long as you can put across your passion for your subject and can prove that you've gone outside of your schoolwork to research it more then there is no problem with mentioning a few ECs.

EDIT: I know how horrible the UCAS character count is; it's probably quite likely that you'll not have room for more than a few lines for ECs, and I would probably try to aim for as little as possible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Obviously they want some evidence of rounded-ness. But less so than other universities; therefore isn't it a disadvantage applying to Oxbridge, as their ideas of personal statements are different to all the rest?

Its not really a disadvantage applying to Oxbridge and I really think you need to look specifically at what each course wants in a personal statement. Each subject is obviously different. At a masterclass at cambridge for natural sciences, the lecturer essentially said we do not care for your hobbies, only the super curricular achievements and academics.
However, at imperial college for mechanical engineering, which is arguably on par if not better for the sciences than Oxford, they have said they want a rounded person and not a 100% academic geek.
In addition, at bristol for mathematics the application is solely assessed on gcses and a levels - academic weighting. Whereas for mechanical engineering there is weight on the personal statement and teacher reference, as well as gcses and a levels.
Your extra-curricular gives a sense of you in your personal statement and it's important to give the best possible sense and idea of you.

The main body of your statement will academic and subject specific. This part of your statement will be relatively short and easy to write.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oxford at least doesn't really care for your personal statement. Write it for your other choices and make sure there aren't any spelling mistakes or other bad things in it and it won't matter at all.
Original post by james22
Oxford at least doesn't really care for your personal statement. Write it for your other choices and make sure there aren't any spelling mistakes or other bad things in it and it won't matter at all.

Some Oxford subjects don't but not all. Many subjects particular Humanities are very keen on the personal statement.
Original post by uniqsummer
Some Oxford subjects don't but not all. Many subjects particular Humanities are very keen on the personal statement.

I was told when I was there (not at a subject specific thing either) was to write the personal statement for the 2nd choice because they would not be taking it into account.
Original post by james22
I was told when I was there (not at a subject specific thing either) was to write the personal statement for the 2nd choice because they would not be taking it into account.

Thats very incorrect advise you have been given unless they were specifically referring to science based subjects.
Many tutors have said that the personal statement is an important part of the process. I have been in History interviews where the personal statement is used extensively as part of the questioning ,with the tutors highlighting what they like/dont like about the statement before each candidate enters the room.
(edited 9 years ago)
My son is at Oxford - his school recommended 80% about academic subject, why he wanted to do maths, evidence he's good at it, so Maths Challenge, BMO etc, and 20% 'for other Unis', where he wrote briefly about sports teams and other non-academic interests. He was given the clear impression that Oxford really only cared about whether he could do maths - but that other Unis might want to see evidence that he did other stuff. He got five offers. Good luck with it all.
Thats very incorrect advise you have been given unless they were specifically referring to science based subjects.
Many tutors have said that the personal statement is an important part of the process. I have been in History interviews where the personal statement is used extensively as part of the questioning ,with the tutors highlighting what they like/dont like about the statement before each candidate enters the room.

All the tutors I've ever asked have said the complete opposite.
Reply 19

The thing is, I think there's a difference between using the PS as part of the questioning, and taking it at face value and using it in the admissions process. Grilling a student on their PS, whether they've wrote it themselves or not, is probably a pretty effective way of getting an initial feel of their ability to argue and expand on something they should be able to answer with relative ease - in the same way science interviews tend to start off with some relatively basic A-Level/GCSE material to initially gauge the candidate. It's pretty nonsensical for Oxford to give any real weight to the personal statement evaluated at face value, when they have quantitative decent indicators throughout admissions. My suspicion is that while the PS does play a part, it's has little to do with what is actually written on it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending