The Student Room Group

Failed Dissertation - Now what?

A "friend" of mine recently received news in the mail that they failed their masters dissertation. Pretty disappointing given the work they put in however they have an opportunity to resubmit the paper.

The feedback was quite brutal pretty much calling out lack of critical analysis and lack of real substance.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What advice can you provide? What steps did you take to resubmit?

It feels as if my friend can benefit from 1-2-1 tutoring or guidance (should they seek to continue). To date the main lecturer has provided guidance however this has been quite limited. Therefore someone independent may be of most help.

Are there any services internal or external that can support?

:frown:
Reply 1
I would think there are no external "services" that wouldn't put your friend at risk of an academic offence.

Internal services will depend on the individual uni. If you have a central postgrad department, they may be able to advise.

If the feedback isn't detailed enough, then they need to back to their diss supervisor and ask for help. If they can't or won't help, then the next call will be their course leader. If they can't help, they should be able to advise an alternative member of staff to assist.
Reply 2
@dmuk really sorry to hear what happened with your friend. A similar case has happened with me and I am myself in a dilemma . The support I received was inadequate and I had my personal health problems. So I can completely understand the situation your friend is in. I have mailed my department head to help me in this matter but still no reply. What Uni is your friend bdw?

And everyone has been advising me to remain optimistic. So I guess I'd advice your friend to be positive. It's certainly not the end! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending