The Student Room Group

Dumb person got into Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Stop hating on people, and just focus on yourself. It doesn't matter if she goes Oxford or not.

Be grateful for your own success.

Posted from TSR Mobile
your ignorance is appalling OP.
Tbh, there are dumb or at least 'not so bright' people wherever you go, the top institutions included. I'm currently doing a masters in Cambridge, but I did my degree at UCL, one of the world's top universities, and there were certainly a fair few on my course who most people wondered at how they had managed to get a place there. I've also encountered some of these people at Cambridge so it happens everywhere.
OP I don't really understand the point of your post.
It does come across as very bitter. If you are civil with each other then perhaps you should just ask her because at the moment all you are doing is reflecting your prejudices.

She could have done very well on her A-levels, tests, interviews and may even have extenuating circumstances. You can't just claim she is 'dumb' especially as you barely know her!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
If she's already started then she'd have pretty much achieved AAA+ at A-Level, because people with less than AAA haven't been accepted in the last couple of years.

Three people in the year above me at my ~~*~~elite~~*~~ grammar school missed their grades and got in. One, for History at Oriel, did fantastically in his HAT, ~80%, but only got ABB at A2 and was allowed in anyway - perhaps something similar happened with OP's acquaintance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by De Mortimer
Tbh, there are dumb or at least 'not so bright' people wherever you go, the top institutions included. I'm currently doing a masters in Cambridge, but I did my degree at UCL, one of the world's top universities, and there were certainly a fair few on my course who most people wondered at how they had managed to get a place there. I've also encountered some of these people at Cambridge so it happens everywhere.

I find this hard to believe. These institutions put a lot into their academic selection process - you find 'not so bright' people almost everywhere else because they are fairly evenly distributed, but when there's a system actively in place to remove them, it would be reasonable to expect them not to be there.

People who appear dumb but are actually bright, people who are socially dumb but academically bright, or people who only just got in, so look dumb compared to the rest of you, are far more likely.

I'm not doubting your experience, but it's not mine. :tongue: (5 years at Oxford).
Original post by Octohedral
I find this hard to believe. These institutions put a lot into their academic selection process - you find 'not so bright' people almost everywhere else because they are fairly evenly distributed, but when there's a system actively in place to remove them, it would be reasonable to expect them not to be there.

People who appear dumb but are actually bright, people who are socially dumb but academically bright, or people who only just got in, so look dumb compared to the rest of you, are far more likely.

I'm not doubting your experience, but it's not mine. :tongue: (5 years at Oxford).

While I agree with you, saying you find it "hard to believe" is actually pretty much "doubting [their] experience" :P
Original post by spiritandteeth
While I agree with you, saying you find it "hard to believe" is actually pretty much "doubting [their] experience" :P

I was being nice. :tongue:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself"- Walt Whitman
If a famous person said it, it must be wise.
I was being nice. :tongue:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself"- Walt Whitman
If a famous person said it, it must be wise.

A Whitman fan, are you? I don't see many of those around.

Niceness is important, yeah. Courtesy is often forgotten outside face-to-face and/or immediate-response methods of communication. OP could maaaaaybe keep it in mind, too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Eboracum
Surely those are sort of, top 20-25% in the country? I would have thought the average A Level grades would be something like BCC? I mean what would somebody going to say a uni ranked 60th have at A Level?

Yeah, you're right, I think its just AAB/ABB are average grades on TSR, but overall the average grades are probably like you say, BCC or maybe BBC, I went to uni ranked pretty much bang in the middle around the 50s and 60s with those grades.
Original post by Olie
Yeah, you're right, I think its just AAB/ABB are average grades on TSR, but overall the average grades are probably like you say, BCC or maybe BBC, I went to uni ranked pretty much bang in the middle around the 50s and 60s with those grades.

Yeah ha. The average grades on here seem to be A*AA :colondollar:

I suppose the standard of "not so bright" is subjective? If we could use a scale of 1-10 for intelligence, perhaps OP expected Oxford students to all be 9+, but maybe viewed his friend as a 7/ 8. That doesn't mean she isn't bright, but perhaps not as good as what OP expected.

I'm now in my 4th year at Oxford, and as terrible as it sounds, I must admit that there were times when I questioned whether the admission system really works. The vast majority of the people I know are definitely bright, but there is always that small handful of exceptions (although perhaps it might be laziness or some other extenuating circumstances). For all the effort Oxford puts into recruiting students, can we really make an accurate assessment based on just 2 20 minute-long interviews (and a UCAS form)? Even for subjects with other assessments, you might just have gotten lucky (eg LNAT has an MCQ component).

Or maybe like OP, I just have excessively high expectations of Oxonians :tongue:
Reply 33
Original post by selenerrr__x
There are "dumb" people who succeed in exams, because they know how to perform well
She may have gotten amazing AS results and therefore these out weigh her average GCSEs.

Emma Watson did not get average a levels, they were 3As and amazing considering she was working, lots of people don't even manage to get 3As and average is considered AAB/ABB

Original post by JRHewett
Sorry, I cannot really be of help in answering your question. However, I'm curious to what discrepancies you see in Emma's results which I don't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1045609/Harry-Potter-star-Emma-Watsons-A-Level-hat-trick-Three-straight-As.html

:confused:

Wow she did great. For some reason I thought she had Cs.

Original post by twisted
Maybe she worked really hard for her AS and got straight A's, or the course she applied for had a low number of applicants. You can't be sure unless you ask her, or find out, the course she applied for coupled with her grades

Not to be rude but she has been my best friend since we were like 5 years old. She is beyond stupid. She worked very hard for her GCSEs and still couldn't manage a decent amount of As or even Bs.

The possibilities are:

- It's Oxford Brookes.
- She's lying altogether.
- She's bright but didn't work hard at GCSE (this is entirely possible - plenty of people change totally at A-level, and it's perfectly possible to get in if you ace the exams / interviews).
- She's brighter than you thought, and went for an obscure course.

You don't have to be a genius to get into Oxford - you just have to impress the tutors, and meet the minimum standard of grades. Of course, most people there are very bright, because of the sheer amount of competition.

Guess you'll just have to wait and see if she puts pictures up. :smile:

I think she's going to Oxford Brookes because she won't properly lie about her university on FB as all her friends and fam can see.

I was her best friend for years and years. I helped her during her GCSE, explaining concepts she couldn't understand, helping with homework... Etc. I know for a fact that she is not clever at all. Even if she did somehow manage A*A*A* (to make up for her awful GCSEs) I really cannot imagine Oxford accepting people with mostly Cs and some Bs, very few As for GCSE.
Reply 34
Original post by Da Di Doo
So I'm ex friends with this girl (had a fight that lasted years but we've 'made up' now - basically we're civil with each other but not close enough that I'll ask her about her Uni.)

This girl is academically not very bright. She was not even allowed to take triple Science because our school thought she won't succeed. She got average GCSEs but I don't know what she got for A Levels since I haven't asked her and refuse to ask her as it will be obvious I'm being nosy.

I heard from someone that she got into Oxford. I went on her FB profile and it says she goes to Oxford University. Does she mean Oxford Brookes?

Basically, is it possible for a dumb person to get into Oxford somehow? I heard that Emma Watson did this because she went to an American University (Brown) and went to Oxford for a year (I think) for her exchange programme. I'm not saying Emma Watson is dumb but she got average A Levels - they were extremely good considering she had a very busy schedule but still...

Results don't mean anything admissions look what kind of person you are through personal statements and interviewing you
Reply 35
Original post by Noble.
Einstein didn't do very well at non-science subjects at school, not many people would call him 'dumb'. So someone not being picked for triple science has little bearing on their ability in, say, History; when you get to the undergraduate level admissions tutors aren't going to particularly care if someone applying for an essay-based subject didn't excel in GCSE Maths and Science. If she's already started then she'd have pretty much achieved AAA+ at A-Level, because people with less than AAA haven't been accepted in the last couple of years.

Also, anyone with sense would trust the judgement of an Oxford tutor over that of a old-enemy/jealous/bitter friend :lol:

Lol, she is stupid. I've known and helped her with her work for years. Lived near her since we were like 5, went to school together since that age. I was her closest friend so I definitely know she is not clever in anything except English. But getting a good grade on one subject is not enough for Oxford.

Original post by humortime
This comes off as incredibly pretentious; just because you may not have perceived your "ex-friend" as being smart doesn't mean that she was necessarily dumb by any means. This seems more like jealousy than anything else. Also, Brown is a great University in the United States and is part of the Ivy League, just because you might not have heard of it doesn't mean it's not good. Plenty of people choose a "worse" school rankings-wise for a variety of reasons: finances, location, major, etc.

Already explained this. She is very very stupid academically there is no doubt about that whatsoever. It's not even like she is actually clever but lazy so gets bad grades - she tries her hardest, wanted to be a lawyer but that dream was crushed after her GCSE results came to light. I guess you, I mean she, can say karma is a bitch.

Original post by Professor Purple
I struggle to perceive how you remain 'civil' yet make a thread questioning her academic capabilities.

What she doesn't know won't hurt her.
Reply 36
Original post by ifmtg
Results don't mean anything admissions look what kind of person you are through personal statements and interviewing you

Lol. What a joke.

It does happen
If they got all As/A* at a level and few A/A* at gcse they'll see the huge improvement and it's impressive because as I've been told
If you didn't get an A at gcse it's very difficult to get it in the same subject at a level which I've found to be sort of true
She may also have amazing personal statement and references and do well in interviews which would swing her an offer even with bad GCSEs

Not with mostly C grades at GCSE it won't.
Reply 37
Original post by uniqsummer
OP I don't really understand the point of your post.
It does come across as very bitter. If you are civil with each other then perhaps you should just ask her because at the moment all you are doing is reflecting your prejudices.

She could have done very well on her A-levels, tests, interviews and may even have extenuating circumstances. You can't just claim she is 'dumb' especially as you barely know her!

She could have but I doubt Oxford - a GCSE heavy Uni, will excuse GCSEs that bad. She had no extenuating circumstances either and if I barely knew her then I would not have been this surprised. It's because I know her that I am curious.

Original post by mishieru07
I suppose the standard of "not so bright" is subjective? If we could use a scale of 1-10 for intelligence, perhaps OP expected Oxford students to all be 9+, but maybe viewed his friend as a 7/ 8. That doesn't mean she isn't bright, but perhaps not as good as what OP expected.

I'm now in my 4th year at Oxford, and as terrible as it sounds, I must admit that there were times when I questioned whether the admission system really works. The vast majority of the people I know are definitely bright, but there is always that small handful of exceptions (although perhaps it might be laziness or some other extenuating circumstances). For all the effort Oxford puts into recruiting students, can we really make an accurate assessment based on just 2 20 minute-long interviews (and a UCAS form)? Even for subjects with other assessments, you might just have gotten lucky (eg LNAT has an MCQ component).

Or maybe like OP, I just have excessively high expectations of Oxonians :tongue:

Nope not a 8 or 7 or even 6 out of 10. We're talking about a string of Cs for GCSE, no extenuating circumstances and she tried very hard.
Reply 38
It could. Showing someone who got below average at gcse but excelled at a level they'll take into consideration especially given that a levels are much harder than gcse.

Keep telling yourself that.
Reply 39

1. I asked about Oxford, not Cambridge. Everyone knows Cambridge is focuses way more on A Levels hence the SAQ you must fill in when applying.

2. My friend had no extenuating circumstances. People CAN get into Oxbridge with less than steller results if they have extenuating circumstances, otherwise you're out of the game.

3. A person tries her very hardest during GCSEs, revising from months earlier, keeping on top of her work, going to revision sessions... Etc and ends up with Cs. How will that same person get an A* for A Level, which you admitted was much harder?

People can and do go from Cs to A*s but usually those are the people who didn't put in their best efforts at GCSE but raises the game during A Levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending