The Student Room Group

Let down by 'friends' for uni house next year

I've made friends with some girls on my course and they asked if I wanted to live with them next year. So..I said yes. And I asked one of them about it today and she was really defensive about it and didn't say much back. She then said:'oh I could introduce you to my friend who is struggling to find someone to live with too' and then I was like really annoyed but I didn't say anything back. Then, she just blurted out 'sorry'. So. Now, I am in a REALLY ****ty mood and crying because I assumed I was living with them but now they've just rejected me. What should I do? Should I bring it up again?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please help :frown:
Reply 2
:frown:
also have no one to live with if it makes you feel any better, gonna cross that bridge closer to the time though.
Reply 4
I think I'm more hurt that they don't want me to live with them
Reply 5
It really does depend on your confidence, if I were you id confront them & ask if it's happening, and if it isn't then why (considering I didn't make any alternative plans)

But to be honest, if they change like that perhaps it's better not to live with them. People that don't stick to their words are generally trouble waiting to happen. You may have dodged a bullet here, don't let them bring you down :smile:

You're not dependent on anyone. You were good enough to make friends before so surely, it'll happen again - with people actually worthy of your friendship :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
It's early days to be honest, you may even change your opinion of them and make better friends by the end of first year, so don't get too hung up over the situation.
Original post by Anonymous
I've made friends with some girls on my course and they asked if I wanted to live with them next year. So..I said yes. And I asked one of them about it today and she was really defensive about it and didn't say much back. She then said:'oh I could introduce you to my friend who is struggling to find someone to live with too' and then I was like really annoyed but I didn't say anything back. Then, she just blurted out 'sorry'. So. Now, I am in a REALLY ****ty mood and crying because I assumed I was living with them but now they've just rejected me. What should I do? Should I bring it up again?

Look... this happens a lot first year. I know loads of people this happened to. People feel pressure to sign for houses, commit early to people they want to live with etc. etc. I've been at university for 4 years and never lived with the same person twice, so not living with people you have been/are friends with is certainly not the be all and end all. Obviously you are going to feel rejected, but on this flip side, if they are like that and willing to go behind your back, are they really people you'd want to be living with anyway? I know it probably feels sucky now, I'd try and meet her friend who is struggling to find people to live with or find people on your course who are looking for houses or something.

Just keep your chin up, if they decided not to live with you, it is their loss :smile: *internet hugs*
Reply 8
I'm not confrontational at all, I hate arguing. I don't even feel like soaking to them again
Reply 9
Don't panic. You have approximately 9 months to find housemates.
Im not as loud as them, so I do not know it this is the reason why? But I chat to them and thought we got on well, which is why I'm crying and annoyed
There's two lessons to be learnt here:

1.) Don't depend on anybody

2.) Always have a back-up plan.

Just move on, and find your own place.

You have PLENTY of time,and wasting it on people who don't care about you isn't one of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am I right to feel annoyed at them?
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not confrontational at all, I hate arguing. I don't even feel like soaking to them again

Then it's fine. Like the above poster said, people you live with will always change and you'll rarely come across someone that you'll stay with over the full duration of your course.

Just carry on with what you do, I honestly do think you've dodged a bullet here because if midway through this year these lot done something behind your back, then you'll feel so isolated when you're in your room.

Don't let this bring you down, I'm sure things will fall into place :smile:
Why don't you live in college next year?
I've not cried all year and this has really, really hurt me
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
Why don't you live in college next year?

It's not so much where I'll live That has bothered me, it's the fact that they've gone behind my back
Guys, should I bring this up again with them or leave it
You have the right to be slightly hurt, but just take it on the chin and move on. You have plenty of time to find housemates, if you enjoy being with them just keep enjoying their company and don't make it a problem. Living apart doesn't mean if you are good friends this year that you will never see them/meet up.
I really considered them as friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending