The Student Room Group

condoms or ius?

I currently have a copper iud and I'm wanting to get it removed as Ive had thrush nearly every month since I had it fitted a year and a half ago (before anyone asks Ive tried various things to prevent it, Ive been to both my GP and local sexual health clinic and I know it isnt due to it being passed between my boyfriend and I as we didn't sleep together for over a month and I still got it). Ive been fine with it otherwise but I can't put up with getting thrush all the time! Im considering either just going back to using condoms (which I don't really trust) or trying the IUS. I do like the peace of mind having a coil gives me but Im wondering if I'd just have the same problem as its another foreign body (the doctor said that thrush with the copper iud can sometimes be due to a nickel allergy which I do have)? Thoughts?
I suppose you wouldn't be any worse off if you trialled it for a little while. Could you try other forms such as the injection, implant or the pill (assuming you'd remember to take it)?
Reply 2
Original post by RachaelBee
I suppose you wouldn't be any worse off if you trialled it for a little while. Could you try other forms such as the injection, implant or the pill (assuming you'd remember to take it)?

I can't use anything containing oestrogen so I can't use the pill. I wouldn't touch the injection with a barge pole and I'm not keen on the implant either (tbh think I'd rather get thrush every month than constantly being on my period and/or having wild mood swings which seem to be very common side effects of the implant! ). I am aware I could use the mini pill and I did consider trying it, however it doesn't really appeal as its not that effective (at least with condoms you have some idea if its worked or not).
Original post by Anonymous
I can't use anything containing oestrogen so I can't use the pill. I wouldn't touch the injection with a barge pole and I'm not keen on the implant either (tbh think I'd rather get thrush every month than constantly being on my period and/or having wild mood swings which seem to be very common side effects of the implant! ). I am aware I could use the mini pill and I did consider trying it, however it doesn't really appeal as its not that effective (at least with condoms you have some idea if its worked or not).

I've been on the mini pill for a few years now with no problems but I do always worry about missing one! Personally in your situation I'd stick with the condoms but anything other than condoms or the pill freaks me out, so I wouldn't dare go for IUD/IUS in the first place. I worked with a girl who had hers taken out but I'm not sure if it was because of a problem or it was just an inconvenience. Another friend fell pregnant with her coil in so she just uses condoms now.
Reply 4
I've been on the mini pill for a few years now with no problems but I do always worry about missing one! Personally in your situation I'd stick with the condoms but anything other than condoms or the pill freaks me out, so I wouldn't dare go for IUD/IUS in the first place. I worked with a girl who had hers taken out but I'm not sure if it was because of a problem or it was just an inconvenience. Another friend fell pregnant with her coil in so she just uses condoms now.

I used condoms with my ex and my current boyfriend before I got the coil and didn't have any problems apart from being paranoid it'd split; I haven't really had any problems with my coil apart from the thrush. One doctor I saw suggested keeping it in and just treating the thrush every month but Im not willing to put up with that!
I used condoms with my ex and my current boyfriend before I got the coil and didn't have any problems apart from being paranoid it'd split; I haven't really had any problems with my coil apart from the thrush. One doctor I saw suggested keeping it in and just treating the thrush every month but Im not willing to put up with that!

I used to get thrush every time I had sex so I feel your pain! The doctors can prescribe some longer courses of antibiotics to treat thrush. I did a longer course and it worked, it it hadn't they were going to do a 6 month term.
Reply 6
I used to get thrush every time I had sex so I feel your pain! The doctors can prescribe some longer courses of antibiotics to treat thrush. I did a longer course and it worked, it it hadn't they were going to do a 6 month term.

My GP did give me a three week course of antifungals and it did work, however the problem returned after a couple of months. Maybe a longer course might do the trick?
My GP did give me a three week course of antifungals and it did work, however the problem returned after a couple of months. Maybe a longer course might do the trick?

Whoops I meant to put antifungals! They were going to offer me the longer course but there are a lot of potential side effects, unfortunately I don't know how often they occur but it's definitely worth chatting to your GP about.

Its worth bearing in mind that a constant period can also be a side effect of the IUS, I had a friend who said she bled for 5 months non stop when she had hers fitted, but is happy with it now its stopped and she has no bleeding at all.

As with anything, you'll never know until you try it. You could perhaps consider a diaphragm + natural family planning and use condoms at your most fertile time?
Reply 9
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Its worth bearing in mind that a constant period can also be a side effect of the IUS, I had a friend who said she bled for 5 months non stop when she had hers fitted, but is happy with it now its stopped and she has no bleeding at all.

As with anything, you'll never know until you try it. You could perhaps consider a diaphragm + natural family planning and use condoms at your most fertile time?

I am aware it is also possible with an IUS (happened to one of my sister's friends) but from what I've gathered from doing my research its less common than it is with the implant. I did enquire about a diaphragm but I was told that they're not available on the NHS anymore. Natural family planning isn't ideal for me as I'm in a semi long distance relationship.

I would NOT recommend natural family planning. You can fall pregnant at any time in your cycle, even during your period. I have fallen pregnant when the odds were very against it (long story, more complicated than it sounds, if you're curious I will explain more via PM as possible trigger warning) and it's not worth the risk.
Iud are 5 year protection but **** that use condoms

Or prog only pill
I would NOT recommend natural family planning. You can fall pregnant at any time in your cycle, even during your period. I have fallen pregnant when the odds were very against it (long story, more complicated than it sounds, if you're curious I will explain more via PM as possible trigger warning) and it's not worth the risk.

This is why I recommended it ALONGSIDE the diaphragm PLUS condoms at the highest risk times.
This is why I recommended it ALONGSIDE the diaphragm PLUS condoms at the highest risk times.

My point was that you can still fall pregnant even at the lowest risk times, like I did. Plus it's a hell of a lot of hassle if done properly, you still have to plan to use other contraception as well as going along to learn how to do it and monitoring all your signs.
My point was that you can still fall pregnant even at the lowest risk times, like I did. Plus it's a hell of a lot of hassle if done properly, you still have to plan to use other contraception as well as going along to learn how to do it and monitoring all your signs.

Yes, but its worth considering if other contraception causes you physical problems.
Reply 15

Well, natural family planning has a similar failure rate to condoms.

Quick Reply

Latest