The Student Room Group

Student loan, second time of applying, grant confusion

Hi,

In 2013 I applied to Uni and student finance but didn't enroll on the course and dropped out right before the course began. I received many grants and loans for maintenance ect. I tried getting the money back to Student finance and after a long time of talking to many different people I think the money was returned. I stopped receiving installments into my bank account.
Recently however I noticed I still have £3000 of a Grant in my account and nothing more. I believe the Student Loan for the Uni has been sorted and the rest of the installments cancelled, though I still have this money in my account for some reason. I want to reapply to Uni for next September so how will all this work? I of course will need grants for living costs and everything else the same as last year. Student Finance haven't been particularly helpful on the phone as I get told something different each time.

If anyone can offer advice on this please do.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Two potential scenarios as far as I can see:

- If you still owe them money, they might deduct it from your new Maintenance Loan/Grant. As you still have the money which you think is outstanding, that shouldn't be a problem.

- If you still owe them money, they will refuse to give you another Grant/Loan until you have paid off your debt. Again, you still have the outstanding money so you can repay it and carry on.

However to some extent it will depend on the individuals who recieve and process your next SF application. Whilst there are rules, people have different levels of knowledge and experience. It shouldn't be like that, but it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending