The Student Room Group

Help with black box policy please!

Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I have car insurance with Ingenie, and I'm on a black box policy. I have been with Ingenie since March, and I have recently come to the conclusion that I want to leave Ingenie when it comes to my renewal as I don't want to be on a black box policy anymore (Ingenie only provide insurance WITH black boxes). My reasons for this are pretty understandable, I hate people driving up close to me for doing the speed limit and overall I just hate my driving being monitored.

I want to just start driving how I want as I know I will be leaving Ingenie soon, however when I spoke to Ingenie on the phone they said they can cancel my insurance at ANY time if they feel my driving is dangerous. They also stated that I could be a great driver for months and months, however if I then start to drive dangerously they can cancel my insurance premium.

Does this mean if I have my insurance cancelled when I go to renew with another company they will see this meaning I will have to pay more?

Should I just drive how I want regardless?

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks!
Original post by Walkaah
Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I have car insurance with Ingenie, and I'm on a black box policy. I have been with Ingenie since March, and I have recently come to the conclusion that I want to leave Ingenie when it comes to my renewal as I don't want to be on a black box policy anymore (Ingenie only provide insurance WITH black boxes). My reasons for this are pretty understandable, I hate people driving up close to me for doing the speed limit and overall I just hate my driving being monitored.

I want to just start driving how I want as I know I will be leaving Ingenie soon, however when I spoke to Ingenie on the phone they said they can cancel my insurance at ANY time if they feel my driving is dangerous. They also stated that I could be a great driver for months and months, however if I then start to drive dangerously they can cancel my insurance premium.

Does this mean if I have my insurance cancelled when I go to renew with another company they will see this meaning I will have to pay more?

Should I just drive how I want regardless?

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks!

If you find a better quote and pay for the policy, make sure the policy starts when your current policy with ingenie ends. And then remind Ingenie that you will not be renewing the policy so they don't do it automatically.
Reply 2
I don't think getting your insurance cancelled would necessarily be an issue when it comes to getting cover later on, as long as you aren't picked up for driving with no insurance. Just remember you won't have accumulated no claims bonus for that year.

I would bide my time, play by the rules until March and then enjoy myself. Winter doesn't give you the same opportunities to have fun as the summer anyway so you won't be missing out on all that much. And it will be all the sweeter when you're free to do as you please. And you should get some no claims discount.
One of the questions they're required to ask you when you take out a new policy is 'have you ever been rejected for insurance cover or had a policy canceled?'.

It'll make a difference.
Reply 4
Original post by FXX
I don't think getting your insurance cancelled would necessarily be an issue when it comes to getting cover later on, as long as you aren't picked up for driving with no insurance. Just remember you won't have accumulated no claims bonus for that year.

I would bide my time, play by the rules until March and then enjoy myself. Winter doesn't give you the same opportunities to have fun as the summer anyway so you won't be missing out on all that much. And it will be all the sweeter when you're free to do as you please. And you should get some no claims discount.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it :smile:

Original post by shaymarriott
One of the questions they're required to ask you when you take out a new policy is 'have you ever been rejected for insurance cover or had a policy canceled?'.

It'll make a difference.

Yeah true. & if you tick 'NO', if a crash occurs the insurance will say they have nothing to do with it then haha :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest