The Student Room Group

FP1

Hi I was wondering if someone could explain this question:

The matrix A represents a reflection in the line y=x and the matrix B represents a rotation of 270 degrees about (0, 0).

Ok so what I found difficult with this question is that it suggests that the matrix B is the result of an anticlockwise turn whilst I thought it to be clockwise and was confused about how to solve it and why I was wrong
Reply 1
Original post by Teddysmith123
Hi I was wondering if someone could explain this question:

The matrix A represents a reflection in the line y=x and the matrix B represents a rotation of 270 degrees about (0, 0).
Ok so what I found difficult with this question is that it suggests that the matrix B is the result of an anticlockwise turn whilst I thought it to be clockwise and was confused about how to solve it and why I was wrong

This is a statement, not a question!

Can you explain exactly what you're trying to do and why you're confused?
Original post by davros
This is a statement, not a question!

Can you explain exactly what you're trying to do and why you're confused?

For matrix b what would you say it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
For matrix b what would you say it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

A rotation through +270 degrees about the origin will be represented by the matrix

[cos270sin270sin270cos270]\begin{bmatrix} cos 270 & -sin 270\\sin 270 & cos 270 \end{bmatrix}
Original post by davros
A rotation through +270 degrees about the origin will be represented by the matrix

[cos270sin270sin270cos270]\begin{bmatrix} cos 270 & -sin 270\\sin 270 & cos 270 \end{bmatrix}

Hi yh thats what I thought but when I did this the book went 270 anticlockwise but I went 270 clockwise so was wondering when they say about the origin do they mean anticlockwise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi yh thats what I thought but when I did this the book went 270 anticlockwise but I went 270 clockwise so was wondering when they say about the origin do they mean anticlockwise

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rotations through a positive angle are anticlockwise by convention. You only rotate clockwise if the angle is negative (in this case -90 would be the equivalent angle).

Quick Reply

Latest