The Student Room Group

were your predicted grades way off your actual grades?

I know a lot of people have said that most people exceeded their predicted grades. I just need some motivation after I'm a bit down after mocks. Any stories?

I have cousin who was predicted A/B's in her exam and thinking she was getting those grades she didn't bother revising. She only received one A and the rest C's and D's.
I was predicted ABB, got BBB, so quite accurate really :tongue:
Reply 2
My schools predicted grades were really irrelevant because they took into account pointless things
Predicted A*AA got AAB. Oh well still got into my first choice :smile:
Reply 4
Predicted:
English: B
Psychology: C
Biology: C
Chemistry: D

Achieved:
Psychology: B
Biology: A
Chemistry: A

Throughout all of my mocks I got Cs, Ds, Es and Us. I literally paid no attention throughout the whole year and then learnt everything in my 3 weeks study leave.
Reply 5
Original post by Appazap
My schools predicted grades were really irrelevant because they took into account pointless things

Same here, like where you lived and how well you did in KS2, and how long you've been in the country.
A bit judgmental, if you ask me.
Reply 6
Original post by Grade
Same here, like where you lived and how well you did in KS2, and how long you've been in the country.
A bit judgmental, if you ask me.

it's ridiculous how they predict grades from KS2, so much had changed since then that i was pretty much a different person. I care about getting good grades now i didn't when i was in primary school
Original post by JoshZ
Predicted:
Psychology: C
Biology: C
Chemistry: D

Achieved:
Psychology: B
Biology: A
Chemistry: A

Throughout all of my mocks I got Cs, Ds, Es and Us. I literally paid no attention throughout the whole year and then learnt everything in my 3 weeks study leave.

How did you revise for biology, Im thinking of giving up on that subject right now, I got a C at A level and am double minded to retake it or not.
Reply 8
Original post by haseebi82
How did you revise for biology, Im thinking of giving up on that subject right now, I got a C at A level and am double minded to retake it or not.

For both chemistry and biology I followed pretty much the same strategy:

1) Bought a CGP revision guide.
2) Went through each page, looked at the spec points at the top, wrote out each spec point and only the ESSENTIAL information to go along with it on a piece of paper.
3) I repetitively went through the pieces of paper, reading the answers to the spec points.
4) I then printed off the specification booklet and learned all of the spec points until I was able to look at a spec point and answer it 100% correctly, without any notes.
5) I would then do practice exam questions and apply my knowledge to them and see how I was doing, comparing my answers to mark schemes.

I managed to get 97% in my Biology exam by doing this. I'm not sure if this technique will work for everyone but it worked for me. If I have not explained it clearly enough, feel free to message me. Don't give up!!! I was getting terrible grades pretty much throughout the whole year. Oh, and one more very important thing for me was that I learnt all of the content at night, and went over it just before I went to sleep. I'm not sure what this does, I guess your sub-conscious mind focuses on it overnight, but this was literally the most insane way for me to learn stuff!
My A level results were pretty much what I was predicted to get (bar maths- I was expected to get a solid A* but damn Edexcel and their nasty June 2013 Edexcel paper saw to that...). I also exceeded my further maths prediction by a whole grade (it would have been two grades if I'd got something like ten more marks!)

Quick Reply

Latest