The Student Room Group

Is it too late to change A-Level courses?

My other 3 A-Levels are completely fine and I'm more than happy with the progress I've made. However, English Literature honestly seems like a joke so far. Lessons are split 7 to 2 (novel to poetry) which seems very uneven, and the teacher which we have for the 7 novel lessons doesn't turn up to about 2/7 of them. In addition, I don't really feel like I've made much progress in the subject, probably due to poor quality of teaching. As of now, I really do not feel comfortable in achieving a good mark at AS.

So, in your opinions, would it be too late to take up another subject such as Biology, Physics or Geography?
Original post by This Muxed Ip Is
My other 3 A-Levels are completely fine and I'm more than happy with the progress I've made. However, English Literature honestly seems like a joke so far. Lessons are split 7 to 2 (novel to poetry) which seems very uneven, and the teacher which we have for the 7 novel lessons doesn't turn up to about 2/7 of them. In addition, I don't really feel like I've made much progress in the subject, probably due to poor quality of teaching. As of now, I really do not feel comfortable in achieving a good mark at AS.

So, in your opinions, would it be too late to take up another subject such as Biology, Physics or Geography?

It could be you'll have to speak to a teacher but I don't think they'd recommend it
Could you drop it completely and start doing online distance learning instead?

Think back to why you initially picked the subject and whether your passion for Lit remains the same. Is it worth it?
You'll have to catch up, adjust with the teaching and examining process of the other subject.
or just put up with it, stay after lesson for a bit if you don't understand anything and just enjoy what you are doing. maybe talk to your teacher, and explain exactly WHY you think the quality of their teaching is poor and what you would like to have more of during your classes.
It'd be advisable not to change the subject this late into the year.
Original post by RachaelBee
Could you drop it completely and start doing online distance learning instead?

This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Is it actually viable?

I'm doing 2 A2 levels and 2 AS levels and I've only attended classes for 1 subject. It's totally do-able. :smile: I've even gone the whole hog this year and not bothered with an online tutor, I'm just doing a subject by myself. We'll have to see how that goes though!
Original post by RachaelBee
I'm doing 2 A2 levels and 2 AS levels and I've only attended classes for 1 subject. It's totally do-able. :smile: I've even gone the whole hog this year and not bothered with an online tutor, I'm just doing a subject by myself. We'll have to see how that goes though!

Wow, that sounds really impressive ^^" What board(?) would you recommend doing one of these on? :smile:
Wow, that sounds really impressive ^^" What board(?) would you recommend doing one of these on? :smile:

If you do an online course they usually tell you which exam board. I went with ICS learn and AQA was the exam board.
Reply 8

Hi! So I'm also doing distance learning with UKOpenCollege... Studying AS Sociology, AS Psychology and AS Government and Politics :smile: As I am living abroad I started my courses quite late (literally a week ago) but found it easy to catch up. They've broken the units down for me so well and made it so easy. I was in sixth form last year in London (didn't do so well in my exams) and had to move abroad... Now doing the distance learning and find it even better than being at college with so many distractions.

Plus, Universities really like it because it shows you've really achieved your grades independently (providing of course you get the grades you desire)!

Anyway, hope that helped! Good luck!! :smile:

You would have to speak to the subject teachers, possibly even the Head of Department whether it's too late or not. However, I remember changing Sociology to Philosophy in mid November. They said I could easily swap but didn't recommend it. I think it was the right decision. Ending up loving/hating the course over the two years, but best decision. Don't do an A-level you don't enjoy! You'd regret it in the long run!

Some Head of Departments would have to ask the Head of Sixth Form or the Head of Year, etc. Usually if you're not allowed to swap the subject; they'd either tell you to stick it out until January and if you don't like it, they'd allow you to drop it. If not, then they would tell you to drop it immediately. Best to speak to a subject teacher. They would refer you to the Subject Leader/Head of Department most likely because it is such a long way into the academic year right now. If they don't allow you to swap, definitely drop it. Trust me, do not go through a whole year of something you hate. Even though your attitude would be "I don't care if I don't go to lessons, do homework, coursework cause I plan to drop it". You not enjoying one subject, will be very detrimental to your other subjects!

Quick Reply

Latest