The Student Room Group

nhs scientist training programme 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey everyone :smile:

I was wondering if anybody who has already applied (well done!) knows if they are the same 5 questions as last year for the supporting information? Im half afraid to open it up as i remember there being a timer and i need time to think of what to write :frown: .... was wondering if anyone knows if the questions and wording limit are the same? Many thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone applying this year :smile:
Original post by 3223
Hey everyone :smile:

I was wondering if anybody who has already applied (well done!) knows if they are the same 5 questions as last year for the supporting information? Im half afraid to open it up as i remember there being a timer and i need time to think of what to write :frown: .... was wondering if anyone knows if the questions and wording limit are the same? Many thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone applying this year :smile:

Hey :smile: They are the same five questions as last year, except this year, the question on values explicitly states which NHS values are the most important.
The page does cut out after an hour but you can copy and paste your answers from word to make it easier :smile:
The word limit is the same as well.
Best of luck! Which stream will you be applying to?
Reply 62
Hey Bagsworth :smile:

Thank you very much for your prompt response. That's a great help! Trying to get what you need to say in so little wording is a challenge, but the worst has to be those aptitude tests :/ .... im applying for genetics. I see you are applying for Clinical Biochemistry hope all goes well for you! Well done on getting it sent so soon! :smile:
Original post by 3223

Thank you very much for your prompt response. That's a great help! Trying to get what you need to say in so little wording is a challenge, but the worst has to be those aptitude tests :/ .... im applying for genetics. I see you are applying for Clinical Biochemistry hope all goes well for you! Well done on getting it sent so soon! :smile:

No problem! Glad I can help. Well presumably you got past the aptitude tests last time didn't you? It's the same sort of aptitude tests as last year as well. I'm absolutely dreading taking the tests!
Best of luck in your application!
Reply 64
Original post by Bagsworth
No problem! Glad I can help. Well presumably you got past the aptitude tests last time didn't you? It's the same sort of aptitude tests as last year as well. I'm absolutely dreading taking the tests!
Best of luck in your application!

Hey! :smile: Ya I think I passed them last year (somehow!) but then I didn't get an interview so must not have been too high either :biggrin: I feel your pain, dreading them as well. Best of luck with your application, may it be your last! :wink:
Original post by 3223
Hey! :smile: Ya I think I passed them last year (somehow!) but then I didn't get an interview so must not have been too high either :biggrin: I feel your pain, dreading them as well. Best of luck with your application, may it be your last! :wink:

Thank you! I hope this is my only application and I get on this year! Better luck for you this time :smile: I hope you get a place too!
Reply 66
Hi all!,
Has anyone else completed the online tests yet? How did you find them? I've done the practice tests on the TryTalentQ website but to be honest I find the Numerical Reasoning virtually impossible in the 75/90 second time limit? Anybody have any other useful information about preparing for them? Thanks and good luck with your applications!
Reply 67
Thought I'd just say hi.
I'm a current 3rd year Radiotherapy Physics trainee based in Liverpool / Wirral (and also co-chair of the North West HealthCare Science Trainee Network Board (NW HCS TNB)

Give me a shout if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 68
hi,
its my first time and its very daunting. what five que are you guys talking about? I would really appreciate your help.
i am totally clueless about the application steps. hope tomorrows open day helps.
thanks
Original post by 3223

Reply 69
hi everyone,
does anyone know the application structure? and are all the sections time limited? i assume you can do different sections at different times. sorry i have no clue whatsoever about the process. Thanks
Original post by cafeel
hi everyone,
does anyone know the application structure? and are all the sections time limited? i assume you can do different sections at different times. sorry i have no clue whatsoever about the process. Thanks

You can refresh the pages as many times as you like and unfortunately you can only fill out the application in the order they want you to. The questions refer to the section designated "supporting" which you have specific questions to answer.
It helps to answer the questions in word first and then you can take as long as you like on the questions.
Which discipline are you applying to? What is your degree in?
Original post by cafeel
hi,
its my first time and its very daunting. what five que are you guys talking about? I would really appreciate your help.
i am totally clueless about the application steps. hope tomorrows open day helps.
thanks

Welcome to the thread! Feel free to ask anything else you'd like to know :smile:
Reply 72
thanks, really appreciate.
would like to know what are the 5 questions they ask in supporting section, and how many sections are there? my degree is in genetics and also applying for genetics and reproduction may be.
Welcome to the thread! Feel free to ask anything else you'd like to know :smile:
Original post by cafeel
thanks, really appreciate.
would like to know what are the 5 questions they ask in supporting section, and how many sections are there? my degree is in genetics and also applying for genetics and reproduction may be.

The questions are on motivation - why have you applied to the STP and why are you suited?
Describe your passion for technology and/or science and say how you plan to juggle the workload of the STP.
Which of the NHS values are most important to you and why.
Experience of leadership and teamwork question.
What have you done to find out more about the STP.
They're the 5 questions in a roundabout way. They're not too difficult but you only have 200 words each to answer them.
best of luck for Genetics, there are a great deal more genetics posts this year than there have been in recent years so chances are good! I can't remember how many sections there are, they are the headers in the application form - experience, employment, references etc, standard job application stuff. :smile:
Reply 74
thanks a lot, very helpful!
i didn't know there were more posts this year. i think a lot of people would be applying in genetics tho, looking at the posts (fingers crossed). thanks again for the reply
The questions are on motivation - why have you applied to the STP and why are you suited?
Describe your passion for technology and/or science and say how you plan to juggle the workload of the STP.
Which of the NHS values are most important to you and why.
Experience of leadership and teamwork question.
What have you done to find out more about the STP.
They're the 5 questions in a roundabout way. They're not too difficult but you only have 200 words each to answer them.
best of luck for Genetics, there are a great deal more genetics posts this year than there have been in recent years so chances are good! I can't remember how many sections there are, they are the headers in the application form - experience, employment, references etc, standard job application stuff. :smile:
Original post by cafeel
thanks a lot, very helpful!
i didn't know there were more posts this year. i think a lot of people would be applying in genetics tho, looking at the posts (fingers crossed). thanks again for the reply

I haven't really been looking at genetics posts but I remember in the last few years there have only been about 5 places nationally but this year there are about 23 places which is more than clinical biochemistry which usually has the second most places. I don't know too much about that pathway but I know about the generic application if you need more help!
Reply 76
Hi all,

does anyone know if the real aptitude test is at a similar level to the talent Q practice test?
Reply 77
hi again!
quick question the sections which aren't for aptitude test aren't timed right?
sorry for being a pain. and would u say that talentQ and actual questions are more or less similar
thanks
I haven't really been looking at genetics posts but I remember in the last few years there have only been about 5 places nationally but this year there are about 23 places which is more than clinical biochemistry which usually has the second most places. I don't know too much about that pathway but I know about the generic application if you need more help!
Hey guys for the application is thee a way of seeing the questions and pasting them on word or something to draft up an answer ? Really haven't had a chance to even look with all the stresses of final year.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Hi,

You can just save the form and come back to when you have time. I filled mine in a few sittings :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest