The Student Room Group

Stuck on Vector Question :(

A ship sets sail from the origin, heading due east at 5 ms-*1. It experiences a constant acceleration of (−0.2i^+0.25j^) ms-2. The unit vectors i^ and j^ are directed due east and north respectively.

a) Determine an expression for the velocity of the ship t seconds after it has started to accelerate.

b) Calculate the value of t when the boat is heading due north.

C) Calculate the bearing of the boat, from the origin, when it is heading
due north.

Not sure how to approach this question :frown::frown:. Can anyone help, would REALLY appreciate it.
Original post by Adam Docker
A ship sets sail from the origin, heading due east at 5 ms-*1. It experiences a constant acceleration of (−0.2i^+0.25j^) ms-2. The unit vectors i^ and j^ are directed due east and north respectively.

a) Determine an expression for the velocity of the ship t seconds after it has started to accelerate.

b) Calculate the value of t when the boat is heading due north.

C) Calculate the bearing of the boat, from the origin, when it is heading
due north.

Not sure how to approach this question :frown::frown:. Can anyone help, would REALLY appreciate it.

Hello and welcome to TSR. :smile:

What are your thoughts so far?

HINT: Draw a diagram showing NSWE and the vector notation axis for i and j superimposed. Convert the 5m/s east to the same vector notation.

To start you off:

a) use a suitable SUVAT and substitute the values for the initial velocity (u) and acceleration vectors (a) to get the actual velocity vector at time any time t.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest