The Student Room Group

Have you seen the Barbie alternative?!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/this-normal-barbie-comes-with-cellulite-stretch-marks-acne-a

How weird are the stretch marks?

Do you think is a step in the right direction though compared with the Barbie's of the previous generation?

Scroll to see replies

I prefer the originals :dontknow:
the germans are releasing a realistic male version called Klaus
Original post by Queen Cersei
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/this-normal-barbie-comes-with-cellulite-stretch-marks-acne-a

How weird are the stretch marks?

Do you think is a step in the right direction though compared with the Barbie's of the previous generation?

very upsetting. those bratz dolls were bad enough... but hey this is Barbie !! what will they do next...

i) Amputee Barbie

ii) Benefits Street Barbie

iii) Jeremy Kyle show Barbie

iv) Crystal meth Barbie

????
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by the bear
very upsetting. those bratz dolls were bad enough... but hey this is Barbie !! what will they do next...

i) Amputee Barbie

iv) Crystal meth Barbie

????

Crystal Meth Barbie, now THAT would be something I'd get for my kids (if I had any.)
False Accusation Barbie... she stitches Ken up for his ONS with Cindy
Original post by Baby Milo
I don't think it really matters. Women have body image issues for numerous reasons and whilst dolls may contribute to them I don't believe for a second they're the root cause of those issues. I think the root cause of such issues lie within the media. You only need to look at the recent Kim Kardashian photoshopped picture to see how skinny her waist was made and of course, when some younger women see this, they think they can achieve this naturally when in reality its all done through image manipulation.

Exactly. Targeting dolls is kind of missing the problem. The issue is mostly with the media and how women are portrayed in the media, with things like photoshopped photos of models everywhere that can lead to insecurity in some young women and teenagers.

i) Amputee Barbie

iv) Crystal meth Barbie

????

Amputee Barbie already exists, that's what boys are supposed to do with their sister's regular Barbie.
Original post by RFowler
Exactly. Targeting dolls is kind of missing the problem. The issue is mostly with the media and how women are portrayed in the media, with things like photoshopped photos of models everywhere that can lead to insecurity in some young women and teenagers.

Amputee Barbie already exists, that's what boys are supposed to do with their sister's regular Barbie.

that is Decapitation Barbie :eek:
Next up, Essex barbie. Comes in various shades of orange, legs easy to open.

PRSOM

that is Decapitation Barbie :eek:

ISIS Barbie?

This has been done in Neil Gaiman's Sandman actually…well Ken cheats on Barbs anyway :tongue:
OK 3 things

1) Media's a big issue, but well um, Barbie's a media icon

Most 5 year old girls are going to be allowed to see Barbie's stick-thin waist before they see photoshopped Kim Kardashian's huge ass going 'Break the Internet'. That is a big big problem, but it comes around when they're about 12 in my generation (so I guess now when they're 10, kids are becoming more in-the-know of sex before they've even matured which is frightening). So IMO Barbie is the first most prolific (albeit dated) body image aspiration coming from the media.

2) Although I will concede that dolls are becoming less popular with young girls presumably due to feminism (whoop!) which MAY make the media more responsible. But again, I doubt that kids will see any extreme body types sexualised before they are…say 8? And if they do and understand it thoroughly that's sloppy parenting (again imo).

3) Does that mean Ken's no longer going to be tall and dark with that chiseled square jaw line and plastic six-pack? Boys get bad body image too can we tackle that media problem too pls??? :redface:

…yeah thought not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Rochdale Kebab Shop Barbie ??

:s-smilie:
Original post by thunder_chunky
Next up, Essex barbie. Comes in various shades of orange, legs easy to open.

comes complete with torch to shine in her ear...

Spoiler

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
OK 2 things

1) Media's a big issue, but well um, Barbie's a media icon

Most 5 year old girls are going to be allowed to see Barbie's stick-thin waist before they see photoshopped Kim Kardashian's huge ass going 'Break the Internet'. That is a big big problem, but it comes around when they're about 12 in my generation (so I guess now when they're 10, kids are becoming more in-the-know of sex before they've even matured which is frightening). So IMO Barbie is the first most prolific (albeit dated) body image aspiration

2) Does that mean Ken's no longer going to be tall and dark with that chiseled square jaw line and plastic six-pack??? :redface:

…yeah thought not.

UKIP voter Ken doll doesn't like them foreign dolls coming here and taking his jobs.
Original post by thunder_chunky
UKIP voter Ken doll doesn't like them foreign dolls coming here and taking his jobs.

…context? This about Klaus?
Original post by abbiemac
Crystal Meth Barbie, now THAT would be something I'd get for my kids (if I had any.)

Posting in a Barbie thread...I don't even care...

CM Barbie XD
Rochdale Kebab Shop Barbie ??

:s-smilie:

:lol:

comes complete with torch to shine in her ear...

Spoiler

That's like the third or fourth time today I've wanted to rep you.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
…context? This about Klaus?

Just tabling different ideas.
Stretch marks, freckles and tattoo (yes, I did name them :u:) look like Shailene Woodley. :curious:

Fat Barbie is still thin. Normal basically means flabby/sticking out belly possibly with back rolls and thighs that touch. Fat Barbie doesn't have flabs or back rolls - horizontally she's just a little wider than thin Barbie. And although her thighs are a little bigger, they still have the thinspirational thigh gap. That doesn't make her "normal". :rant:

If I had to choose between Barbie and freckles/stretch marks/tattoo I'd probably go for Barbie. I'm a little vain. Yay for "normal women" and "normal looking" dolls, but I think people are taking it a little too far. These dolls are a good educational tool to show that bodily abnormalities/differences are acceptable, but I personally wouldn't go out of my way to make my child to play with them. Although, if my child dares to bring a doll home, I'll be the first to burn that ****. After watching the Chucky movies I can't have dolls in my house. :afraid:

Speaking from personal experience, when I was 10 years old I was bullied for my weight. I had stretch marks and I just about fit into women's size 12/14 clothes. I know for certain that having a "relatable" doll wouldn't have helped me accept myself because it's just a toy. My Barbie dolls were *just* toys. I developed body dysmorphia when I was about 10 or 11 (and at 16, anorexia which was diagnosed as EDNOS) but my Barbie dolls had nothing to do with it. When playing with them I didn't think "wow Barbie is so perfect, I need to look like her". The only thing that was on my mind was "how should I do Barbie's hair? Should I do a pony tail or... a pony tail?" My skills were only limited to pony tails. :innocent: When you're a kid you don't think twice about the specific features of what you're playing with. The only people who think of Barbie as a negative influence are insecure women - not children.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChrisLay1
Posting in a Barbie thread...I don't even care...

CM Barbie XD

Hahahahaha, get you :wink: Barbie getting out of hand, better call saul!

Quick Reply

Latest