The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

University of Aberdeen Applicants and Offer Holders for 2015 entry

I haven't seen a thread started up for 2015 entry so I thought I'd start one! This is for all applicants and offer holders to start September 2015, just a place where we can share our panic over track emails, and then excitement over offers. :smile:

It would probably be good for all applicants to introduce themselves by saying what they hope to study, and the status of their application, and just any other general things they want to add like where else they have applied for.

I'll start by saying that I'm a gap year student from England hoping to study Geography. Aberdeen is my second choice, with my first being St Andrews and third being Lancaster. I've left an option free to add in later. If I end up going to Aberdeen I would want to study Geology and Pet. Geology alongside Geography, I'm not sure what the third subject would be yet. I sent my application on the 14th November, and I have just received an acknowledgement letter from Aberdeen. Now the wait begins! I'm hoping for an unconditional as I already have the grades, but we'll see. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Good idea! I'm going to study Chemical Engineering. Still not sure where I want to go. I've also applied to Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Heriot Watt and St Andrews(St Andrews for Chemistry with Maths). I sent my application away today and have been acknowledged by Edinburgh. I'm hoping to get an Unconditional as I got 5 A's in my highers. Here's to waiting!! :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by lemonade0758
Good idea! I'm going to study Chemical Engineering. Still not sure where I want to go. I've also applied to Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Heriot Watt and St Andrews(St Andrews for Chemistry with Maths). I sent my application away today and have been acknowledged by Edinburgh. I'm hoping to get an Unconditional as I got 5 A's in my highers. Here's to waiting!! :smile:

I'm guessing you're a Scottish applicant, judging by the other Scottish unis? :P I was thinking about Edinburgh as my fifth choice, but I'm still not sure. With those grades I'm sure you'll get an unconditional! Do you know when the offers are likely to start coming through?
Original post by PeachButterfly96
I'm guessing you're a Scottish applicant, judging by the other Scottish unis? :P I was thinking about Edinburgh as my fifth choice, but I'm still not sure. With those grades I'm sure you'll get an unconditional! Do you know when the offers are likely to start coming through?

Yeah, Scottish unis because of SAAS. Hopefully I will. Depends on what other people apply with. Not really. I would like them all before Christmas though... It's a bit hopeful but it's nice to have some goal.
Original post by lemonade0758
Yeah, Scottish unis because of SAAS. Hopefully I will. Depends on what other people apply with. Not really. I would like them all before Christmas though... It's a bit hopeful but it's nice to have some goal.

Oh okay, makes sense. I would like some before Christmas too, I think Lancaster will give a reply before Christmas, hopefully Aberdeen too. :smile:

EDIT: Lancaster gave me an offer today for Earth Science - woop! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Going to be applying to Aberdeen for Computer Science (G400) as a 2nd choice university, University of Glasgow is my 1st choice university.

I am an IB student and predicted 37 points.
Applied for Law (Scots/English Law)
Got AAAAB in S5 and predicted AAA at AH, AH & H.
Also applied to Oxford, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde(unconditional). Dunno where I want to go really, apart from Oxford, but that's a dream

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for Neuroscience with Psychology. Already done with school so any offer I could get should be unconditional. Has anyone heard from Aberdeen yet, do they send a welcome email?
Original post by FrauBecca
I applied for Neuroscience with Psychology. Already done with school so any offer I could get should be unconditional. Has anyone heard from Aberdeen yet, do they send a welcome email?

You're on a gap year too? :smile: The only correspondence I've had with Aberdeen is an acknowledgement letter thanking me for my application, no email yet!
You're on a gap year too? :smile: The only correspondence I've had with Aberdeen is an acknowledgement letter thanking me for my application, no email yet!

I am, I'm German and we don't really do the thing with predicted grades... so I waited to finish school in July to apply for 2015. What are you doing during your gap year? I'm doing a work experience at a nursery right now but I'm still not sure what to do between January and September. By letter do you mean a real letter in your post? I'm wondering if I'll get something like that too, but only a bit later because of the long distance.
I am, I'm German and we don't really do the thing with predicted grades... so I waited to finish school in July to apply for 2015. What are you doing during your gap year? I'm doing a work experience at a nursery right now but I'm still not sure what to do between January and September. By letter do you mean a real letter in your
post? I'm wondering if I'll get something like that too, but only a bit later because of the long distance.

Oh okay, I see, that makes sense. At the moment I'm applying for lots of jobs and I decided to take English A2 because for some reason I wanted to, so I'm also working on that at the moment. I also did a CELTA in London a month ago so I can now teach English as a foreign language, so that's given me something to do if I wanted to go abroad. But at the moment it's a little boring for me because I don't have /that/ much to do. And plus all of my friends have moved away for uni so I'm kind of stuck at home which sucks. I'm just waiting for uni offers really. And yes, I got a real letter in the post, so I expect you'll get one too. But I need to find something to do between Jan and Sep too, otherwise I'll go insane, haha. :smile:
Oh okay, I see, that makes sense. At the moment I'm applying for lots of jobs and I decided to take English A2 because for some reason I wanted to, so I'm also working on that at the moment. I also did a CELTA in London a month ago so I can now teach English as a foreign language, so that's given me something to do if I wanted to go abroad. But at the moment it's a little boring for me because I don't have /that/ much to do. And plus all of my friends have moved away for uni so I'm kind of stuck at home which sucks. I'm just waiting for uni offers really. And yes, I got a real letter in the post, so I expect you'll get one too. But I need to find something to do between Jan and Sep too, otherwise I'll go insane, haha. :smile:

What kind of jobs are you applying for? I know some job I might do in January for a month at my mother's workplace that would involve me actually getting paid, but after that I have no clue. I'm torn between doing another work experience because it would give me lots of experience, but they don't pay at all so maybe I'm better off working in retail or something like that. Right now lots of my friends are in England for a year, which just sucks a little as they won't be there when I go to the UK! I'll be looking forward to that letter then :smile: Anything from uni to keep me from going crazy. Ever since I got an offer from Strathclyde last Wednesday I can't wait to get more. I definitely need to get something to do that means I have to get up in the morning and leave the house, if I don't have that I'll get unhappy. Just a quick question: since I applied for Psychology for all five universities, will Aberdeen still consider me for Neuroscience with Psychology even if I've just written about Psychology in my personal statement? The others didn't have neuroscience as an option, it was sort of a last-minute decision but I'm hoping they will since I put a big emphasis on science in my PS and my best subject at school was Chemistry.
What kind of jobs are you applying for? I know some job I might do in January for a month at my mother's workplace that would involve me actually getting paid, but after that I have no clue. I'm torn between doing another work experience because it would give me lots of experience, but they don't pay at all so maybe I'm better off working in retail or something like that. Right now lots of my friends are in England for a year, which just sucks a little as they won't be there when I go to the UK! I'll be looking forward to that letter then :smile: Anything from uni to keep me from going crazy. Ever since I got an offer from Strathclyde last Wednesday I can't wait to get more. I definitely need to get something to do that means I have to get up in the morning and leave the house, if I don't have that I'll get unhappy. Just a quick question: since I applied for Psychology for all five universities, will Aberdeen still consider me for Neuroscience with Psychology even if I've just written about Psychology in my personal statement? The others didn't have neuroscience as an option, it was sort of a last-minute decision but I'm hoping they will since I put a big emphasis on science in my PS and my best subject at school was Chemistry.

I've applied for part time jobs at the moment because I'm studying during the week. I've just applied for some retail jobs:Next, Wholefoods, Tesco at the nearest town because I live in a very rural area haha. I would probably go for a paid job over work experience. You can always do work exp during the summer as an addition to a paid job, but I suppose it depends on the work exp. Once you start uni you can build on your work exp via internships through their connections, so it might be better to get a job now. I know, I got an offer from Lancaster a couple of days ago now I just want the rest of them to come through!!! So much suspense oh my God. I know, me too, I really need to keep busy, otherwise I just revert back to being unhappy again. As an answer to your question, of course they will! I applied to St Andrews last year for neuroscience with a medical ps, and they gave me an offer! I also applied to Lancaster with a mainly geography ps for earth science and they still gave me an offer, so basically even if you've just written about Psychology, it's okay because for starters neuroscience and psychology are heavily interlinked anyway, plus it seems as if you've talked about the scientific side, so you'll be fine! :smile:
I've applied for part time jobs at the moment because I'm studying during the week. I've just applied for some retail jobs:Next, Wholefoods, Tesco at the nearest town because I live in a very rural area haha. I would probably go for a paid job over work experience. You can always do work exp during the summer as an addition to a paid job, but I suppose it depends on the work exp. Once you start uni you can build on your work exp via internships through their connections, so it might be better to get a job now. I know, I got an offer from Lancaster a couple of days ago now I just want the rest of them to come through!!! So much suspense oh my God. I know, me too, I really need to keep busy, otherwise I just revert back to being unhappy again. As an answer to your question, of course they will! I applied to St Andrews last year for neuroscience with a medical ps, and they gave me an offer! I also applied to Lancaster with a mainly geography ps for earth science and they still gave me an offer, so basically even if you've just written about Psychology, it's okay because for starters neuroscience and psychology are heavily interlinked anyway, plus it seems as if you've talked about the scientific side, so you'll be fine! :smile:

I might apply at local supermarkets and little shops in the city centre, but I don't have any work experience yet so they might not want to hire someone like me (because who really cares about your final grades from school when you've never worked in retail?) I'm so relieved you say it doesn't matter it said Psychology, I was worried I've ruined my chances at Aberdeen. You applied last year, too? :smile:
I might apply at local supermarkets and little shops in the city centre, but I don't have any work experience yet so they might not want to hire someone like me (because who really cares about your final grades from school when you've never worked in retail?) I'm so relieved you say it doesn't matter it said Psychology, I was worried I've ruined my chances at Aberdeen. You applied last year, too? :smile:

Yeah that's so true actually. They don't care about grades all they want to see is that you have work exp in retail. Which I don't have much of unfortunately. Oh well, you can only try. No no, it doesn't matter, you're fine. Yeah, I did, I'm a gap year student because even though I got an offer for St A, I didn't meet the grade requirements, which absolutely sucked. But anyway, now I'm reapplying for totally different courses of geology/earth sciences/geography at Lancaster, Royal Holloway, St A and Aberdeen. Different from medicine/neuroscience! Haha. :P
Yeah that's so true actually. They don't care about grades all they want to see is that you have work exp in retail. Which I don't have much of unfortunately. Oh well, you can only try. No no, it doesn't matter, you're fine. Yeah, I did, I'm a gap year student because even though I got an offer for St A, I didn't meet the grade requirements, which absolutely sucked. But anyway, now I'm reapplying for totally different courses of geology/earth sciences/geography at Lancaster, Royal Holloway, St A and Aberdeen. Different from medicine/neuroscience! Haha. :P

You're right, I can only try. I wish I knew how to get small office jobs, I think they'd suit me better. I also want to start babysitting but that wouldn't be enough to keep me happy. That really sucks... I didn't want to get an offer and then be under a lot of stress to meet those requirements in the end so I never bothered applying until after I was done with school (the added stress could even mean you'd do worse in your exams so no thank you, British school/uni system! :biggrin:) Your interests seem to have changed a lot, from medicine to geography...
You're right, I can only try. I wish I knew how to get small office jobs, I think they'd suit me better. I also want to start babysitting but that wouldn't be enough to keep me happy. That really sucks... I didn't want to get an offer and then be under a lot of stress to meet those requirements in the end so I never bothered applying until after I was done with school (the added stress could even mean you'd do worse in your exams so no thank you, British school/uni system! :biggrin:) Your interests seem to have changed a lot, from medicine to geography...

Just got an unconditional today!!!! WOOOO!!! :biggrin:DD Oh my God I am so happy right now!! :biggrin:D
Anyway, yeah I know, I really want an office job, but there's so little opportunity available!! Oh okay, yeah that makes a lot of sense, I probably should have done that haha. I was under a lot of stress so that probably didn't help at all. Yeah, I decided to switch because I thought to myself I don't really want a life of shift work and lots of hard work with no social life, I actually want to be out travelling and doing things. Plus I'm actually good at Geography, I find it much much easier :biggrin: And now I have an unconditional, wooO!!
Just got an unconditional today!!!! WOOOO!!! :biggrin:DD Oh my God I am so happy right now!! :biggrin:D
Anyway, yeah I know, I really want an office job, but there's so little opportunity available!! Oh okay, yeah that makes a lot of sense, I probably should have done that haha. I was under a lot of stress so that probably didn't help at all. Yeah, I decided to switch because I thought to myself I don't really want a life of shift work and lots of hard work with no social life, I actually want to be out travelling and doing things. Plus I'm actually good at Geography, I find it much much easier :biggrin: And now I have an unconditional, wooO!!

Congratulations, that's really amazing! :biggrin: Is Aberdeen your first choice? Receiving an unconditional offer just always feels great because you no longer have to worry about meeting requirements, you know you got the place if you want it :smile:
I'm a bit worried about work, they always want people with experience or people that own a car... or people for apprenticeships, but of course that's not possible when I'm leaving in September. Yes, I can imagine that when you get a job after studying medicine you won't have much free time :/ So what would your dream job be like, travelling the world? :wink:
Congratulations, that's really amazing! :biggrin: Is Aberdeen your first choice? Receiving an unconditional offer just always feels great because you no longer have to worry about meeting requirements, you know you got the place if you want it :smile:
I'm a bit worried about work, they always want people with experience or people that own a car... or people for apprenticeships, but of course that's not possible when I'm leaving in September. Yes, I can imagine that when you get a job after studying medicine you won't have much free time :/ So what would your dream job be like, travelling the world? :wink:

It's so weird because I totally wasn't expecting anything til after January! No, St Andrews is my first choice, but I think I'm going to put Aberdeen as an insurance. I'm going to be visiting all the unis anyway to make my mind up. :smile: Yeah, I know, I'm very happy.
Yeah, I know what you mean, it's difficult. I'm in the same boat.
That's why I chose the subjects I did, far more freedom! Yeah, I think it definitely would be, travelling and doing something I loved. I guess you want to go into something Psychology-related? Lab work?
It's so weird because I totally wasn't expecting anything til after January! No, St Andrews is my first choice, but I think I'm going to put Aberdeen as an insurance. I'm going to be visiting all the unis anyway to make my mind up. :smile: Yeah, I know, I'm very happy.
Yeah, I know what you mean, it's difficult. I'm in the same boat.
That's why I chose the subjects I did, far more freedom! Yeah, I think it definitely would be, travelling and doing something I loved. I guess you want to go into something Psychology-related? Lab work?

I hope I won't have to wait that long. I'm still not sure what makes the universities wait longer to reply... do you think they reply sooner if your grades are a lot higher than the entry requirements and there's not much people applying for a course? With how much money I'll have to spend on accommodation and travelling later, I'm not sure I'll visit the unis before. I think maybe I should go to the job centre of my city or something. It doesn't help I look a lot younger than I am, makes it hard for people to take you seriously when it comes to jobs. I think applying for Psychology/Neuroscience I'll definitely will do something related to that degree, but I'm not sure what exactly. There's so many fields I could work in, I guess it depends which ones I get especially interested in, but I'd love to work in a lab.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending