The Student Room Group

Article: To eat meat or not to eat meat? What do TSR users think?

With so many options available now in supermarkets, how many people opt out of eating meat? Read more...
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thats interesting.. :cool:
I eat meat because it's high in protein and i like the taste.

All the fake meat I've eaten has a weird texture which I hate.
I love meat but I'm giving it up for Lent next year. Woo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I eat meat because I like it.

People need to stop with the protein bs, other foods have protein and those foods are healthier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xoflower
I eat meat because I like it.

People need to stop with the protein bs, other foods have protein and those foods are healthier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you give me a nice long list of foods to help me get the 100-150g of protein I eat a day easier than meat I'll consider switching.

And define healthier here...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I love meat but I'm giving it up for Lent next year. Woo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you giving it up?

What are you going to use as a protein alternative?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Why are you giving it up?

What are you going to use as a protein alternative?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just want to test myself and see what other alternatives there are. I'm not religious or anything.

And fish, tofu etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i like eating meat...

yesterday i ate dead cow, dead pig and unborn chicken.

yum
Reply 9
I eat some meat like steak and chicken. I think bacon is disgusting, however, and all of those 'ermahgerd bacon' idiots on the internet need to re-evaluate their lives and stop worshiping a chewy, salty, disgusting piece of meat.

As long as you get the necessary nutrients, it's fine whether you are vegan, vegetarian or otherwise, but please do not allow it to dictate your personality, and do not go around bragging.
This week Sir Paul McCartney released a rap to encourage others to participate in ‘Meat Free Mondays’, which made me think that the boundaries between types of eaters are now no longer so clear cut as 'meat-eater' or 'vegetarian/vegan'. Where do part-time vegetarians or ‘accidental’ vegetarians fall into the mix?

It's very simple. Eat meat, even occasionally, and you are not a vegetarian. While I think it is a good thing that more people are looking to reduce their meat consumption and are accepting that a meal doesn't have to contain meat to be healthy and delicious, Meat Free Mondays doesn't engage with the ethical issues with meat consumption. If people still find it acceptable to eat meat sometimes, then they still think it is acceptable that animals suffer for their pleasure.

Just because apples and wheat don't scream when you cut them doesn't mean they don't feel pain. In fact, many studies show fruit and vegetables can still feel pain a few moments after they are cut, and can, in essence, be eaten alive. If there are groups for people "against" animal cruelty, why are they therefore not for the cruelty of trees and plants? Too bad a tree cannot cry.

In fact, vegetarians and vegans do end up killing small animals, although it is not for the purpose of eating. Many small animals - shrews, gophers, rabbits, even foxes are known to have been "swallowed up" by steel reapers and grain threshers, farm equipment which is required for a large vegan population. Therefore, is killing a mouse more ethical than killing, say, a pig? At least we meat eaters and omnivores use the bodies of animals for the benefit of another person or animal - killing animals the vegan way involve many slices and a very crude, torturous death.

Closely related to the vegetarian and vegan causes are the organizations PETA, ALF (Animal Liberation Front), and ELF (Earth Liberation Front). All three organizations have had documented cases in which the said organization has killed human lives for the "protection" of animals or funded such a killing. One such organization, the ALF, is recognized as the most threatening domestic terrorist organization as documented by the FBI. And, as a further note, it is a documented fact that PETA has actually killed more animals than it saved. The only difference is they killed these animals "ethically" - like prisoners in a concentration camp, they euthanize or suffocate them and then cremate or dump their victims.

Vegetarians insist that the use of animals as food is wrong because many of the animals we eat are intelligent. But studies show that many species of plants are intelligent; Anticipating and avoiding obstacles, releasing pheromones to ward off predators and are capable of communicating with each other as well as listening, talking, seeing, and feeling, all senses for which most people think only animals have.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Morrisseya, the spoiler is unnecessary, people can tell you're lying.
Original post by Morrisseya

Just because apples and wheat don't scream when you cut them doesn't mean they don't feel pain. In fact, many studies show fruit and vegetables can still feel pain a few moments after they are cut, and can, in essence, be eaten alive. If there are groups for people "against" animal cruelty, why are they therefore not for the cruelty of trees and plants? Too bad a tree cannot cry.

In fact, vegetarians and vegans do end up killing small animals, although it is not for the purpose of eating. Many small animals - shrews, gophers, rabbits, even foxes are known to have been "swallowed up" by steel reapers and grain threshers, farm equipment which is required for a large vegan population. Therefore, is killing a mouse more ethical than killing, say, a pig? At least we meat eaters and omnivores use the bodies of animals for the benefit of another person or animal - killing animals the vegan way involve many slices and a very crude, torturous death.

Closely related to the vegetarian and vegan causes are the organizations PETA, ALF (Animal Liberation Front), and ELF (Earth Liberation Front). All three organizations have had documented cases in which the said organization has killed human lives for the "protection" of animals or funded such a killing. One such organization, the ALF, is recognized as the most threatening domestic terrorist organization as documented by the FBI. And, as a further note, it is a documented fact that PETA has actually killed more animals than it saved. The only difference is they killed these animals "ethically" - like prisoners in a concentration camp, they euthanize or suffocate them and then cremate or dump their victims.

Vegetarians insist that the use of animals as food is wrong because many of the animals we eat are intelligent. But studies show that many species of plants are intelligent; Anticipating and avoiding obstacles, releasing pheromones to ward off predators and are capable of communicating with each other as well as listening, talking, seeing, and feeling, all senses for which most people think only animals have.

Spoiler

Meat eaters actually consume more crops than vegans (and vegetarians unless they replace all the meat they would have eaten with dairy products). Animals need to be fed with crops until they die which is a lot less efficient than eating crops directly. If you care about plants so much you should go vegan. :rolleyes:

A tiny amount of vegetarians and vegans are a member of those organisations so it's ridiculous to use that as an argument against vegetarianism.They have nothing to do with most people's vegetarianism, and a lot of vegetarians oppose their methods.

Original post by shawn_o1

Nah.
Original post by ArtGoblin
Meat eaters actually consume more crops than vegans (and vegetarians unless they replace all the meat they would have eaten with dairy products). Animals need to be fed with crops until they die which is a lot less efficient than eating crops directly. If you care about plants so much you should go vegan. :rolleyes:

A tiny amount of vegetarians and vegans are a member of those organisations so it's ridiculous to use that as an argument against vegetarianism.They have nothing to do with most people's vegetarianism, and a lot of vegetarians oppose their methods.

My real opinion was in the spoiler :tongue:

I didn't even write all that stuff lmao

But, yeah, it is harder to get protein if you don't eat meat
Reply 16

well it was lost on ArtGoblin
Reply 17
Original post by Morrisseya
I didn't even write all that stuff lmao

But, yeah, it is harder to get protein if you don't eat meat

cheese? nuts? tofu? it cant be that hard
Original post by Motorbiker
If you give me a nice long list of foods to help me get the 100-150g of protein I eat a day easier than meat I'll consider switching.

And define healthier here...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nuts, seeds etc

You can easily google a list.

Also, why do you need that much protein, men should have about 70g.

As long as you eat enough calories 2000+ then you will have enough protein. Duh.
Motorbiker
I eat meat because it's high in protein and i like the taste.

All the fake meat I've eaten has a weird texture which I hate.

This.

Quick Reply