The Student Room Group

Article: To eat meat or not to eat meat? What do TSR users think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen Cersei
With so many options available now in supermarkets, how many people opt out of eating meat? Read more...

In this modern interconnected world i don't think one really needs meat and in comparison to the average British diet, a vegetarian diet is certainly healthier. These factors do make me somewhat sympathetic to becoming vegetarian in the future, plus i've become softer in old age and moved away from the 'animals are below humans and cows should serve our purpose' mentality.

On the flipside though i'm in no hurry. I'm not especially ethical, i could never become vegan because a life without cow's milk is a life not worth living (:tongue:) and a lot of vegetables just don't satiate me in the same way a large amount of chicken tikka does. I have however at least aimed to reduce my red meat consumption to once or twice per week and have moved towards a mostly lacto-ovo-pescetarian diet.
Original post by Motorbiker
I like this attitude tbh.

The confrontational attitude you mean?

I don't think anybody is telling anybody that they HAVE to justify their reasons for eating meat or not.

Anyway...

For me, it comes down to a pretty basic ethical question in the end, and that is whether you believe that we, the human race, have the right to imprison, enslave and kill other living beings, purely for our own pleasure.

Once I realised that I do not believe that, I had no moral choice except to stop eating them.

I don't expect everybody else to feel the same (although I would like it) but the above point is the bottom line.
Original post by e aí rapaz
The confrontational attitude you mean?

I don't think anybody is telling anybody that they HAVE to justify their reasons for eating meat or not.

Anyway...

For me, it comes down to a pretty basic ethical question in the end, and that is whether you believe that we, the human race, have the right to imprison, enslave and kill other living beings, purely for our own pleasure.

Once I realised that I do not believe that, I had no moral choice except to stop eating them.

I don't expect everybody else to feel the same (although I would like it) but the above point is the bottom line.

It was more the not caring attitude. I can see how it's confrontational though.

I'd say it's not purely for pleasure. It's food. I disagree with hunting etc just for fun but if you're hunting it to eat it then it's fine imo.

Not sure how that makes any sense though.
Original post by Motorbiker
It was more the not caring attitude. I can see how it's confrontational though.

I'd say it's not purely for pleasure. It's food. I disagree with hunting etc just for fun but if you're hunting it to eat it then it's fine imo.

Not sure how that makes any sense though.

Ethically speaking, there is zero necessity to eat meat. If you do so it's because you want to because you enjoy the taste or some other benefit that it brings you.
Reply 64
I'm vegetarian. I think wilful participation in the meat industry is unethical.
Original post by xoflower
I eat meat because I like it.

People need to stop with the protein bs, other foods have protein and those foods are healthier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't get anywhere near my 150g of protein with non meat substances, my diet literally is tuna (the only meat I really eat these days) and protein shakes.

I also love meat, especially hog, roast beef and chicken
Ethically speaking, there is zero necessity to eat meat. If you do so it's because you want to because you enjoy the taste or some other benefit that it brings you.

same could be said for lions and any other predators who eat other animals for meat.
Original post by Joshale
same could be said for lions and any other predators who eat other animals for meat.

Well, that's not strictly true since a lot of carnivores would be unable to digest a lot of plantlife. But even if we ignore that, it's still not really relevant. A lion isn't intelligent enough to make that ethical decision, and we are.

Original post by intheTSRspirit
Please elaborate on what else 'ethics' have to say about 'necessary nutrition'...

If meat were "necessary nutrition" then vegetarians and vegans would not survive, would they? But they do, in their hundreds of millions worldwide.
Original post by Joshale
I wouldn't get anywhere near my 150g of protein with non meat substances, my diet literally is tuna (the only meat I really eat these days) and protein shakes.

I also love meat, especially hog, roast beef and chicken

How much do you weigh and what is your height?
Are you male or female?

Just curious.
Original post by Shueb95
I eat meat because vegetables alone can't fill me up.

Chicken is my best type of meat. :smile:

I had this problem when I tried being vegetarian for 6 months.

Kept feeling hungry every day and eventually needed to eat more than usual thus putting on weight.
Original post by xoflower
How much do you weigh and what is your height?
Are you male or female?

Just curious.

160lbs and 5ft10 why?
and male..
If I didn't lift weights or play sport and couldn't afford organic/free range meat, I would only eat small amounts and try and get more well-sourced protein from other food.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know how vegetarians do it.

I love bacon way too much to give it up...
Original post by Morrisseya
I didn't even write all that stuff lmao

But, yeah, it is harder to get protein if you don't eat meat

Beans sprouts, Cooked beans, Whole grains, Nuts and the funniest fact is - you don't need THAT much of protein anyway.
Original post by Kathy89
Beans sprouts, Cooked beans, Whole grains, Nuts and the funniest fact is - you don't need THAT much of protein anyway.

Read the links I posted in my reply to xoflower. CBA to keep explaining this to the non athletes on the thread.
I need 100g of protein per day based on my body weight and the way I train (not gonna bother explaining this, but Google daily protein requirements if you're interested). Work out how much cheese/nuts/tofu that is.

A couple of shakes, a bowl of porridge, a bean/pulse based meal, a few eggs and you're done.

I'm 95kg (not fat), 6ft1, work out 4 times a week, and don't eat meat.
Reply 76
I tried vegetarian for a bit but I was just always hungry. It messed my daily routine up. Im a big guy into rugby, tennis, football ect. and so I need meat to at least function the next day.

It's alright for stupid small girls to say "anyone can eat vege, in fact it's better, I've been doing it for blah blah years" but try putting yourself in someone else's shoes, literally.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Juan
I tried vegetarian for a bit but I was just always hungry. It messed my daily routine up. Im a big guy into rugby, tennis, football ect. and so I need meat to at least function the next day.

It's alright for stupid small girls to say "anyone can eat vege, in fact it's better, I've been doing it for blah blah years" but try putting yourself in someone else's shoes, literally.

I just answered that point in the post above yours. Eating meat may be easier for you, but it is not necessary by any means. There are plenty of veggie/vegan bodybuilders and athletes out there to prove that.

Joe Namath (an NFL hall of fame quarterback) was veggie. Venus Williams is too (actually vegan I think), since you mentioned tennis.
A couple of shakes, a bowl of porridge, a bean/pulse based meal, a few eggs and you're done.

I'm 95kg (not fat), 6ft1, work out 4 times a week, and don't eat meat.

Not everyone can afford protein shakes. Also, I'm not arguing for people eating the way I do, I just don't need to justify it to the militant vegans ITT - just as Motorbiker stated above, I don't care all that much :lol:. I'm sure you can get enough protein from quorn etc., I'm aware that many pro bodybuilders etc. are vegan - not everyone wants to eat like that though. That said, some of the protein requirements some of the people have stated are supposedly OK for others on this thread have been downright stupid and ignorant.

Also, the guy I was replying to was giving some pretty bizarre suggestions for what to eat. Eggs are good, but you need to have a ton of, say, cheese to get enough protein.

The Juan

Agree completely. "70g is enough protein for any adult guy," what utter BS.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not everyone can afford protein shakes. Also, I'm not arguing for people eating the way I do, I just don't need to justify it to the militant vegans ITT - just as Motorbiker stated above, I don't care all that much :lol:. I'm sure you can get enough protein from quorn etc., I'm aware that many pro bodybuilders etc. are vegan - not everyone wants to eat like that though. That said, some of the protein requirements some of the people have stated are supposedly OK for others on this thread have been downright stupid and ignorant.

Also, the guy I was replying to was giving some pretty bizarre suggestions for what to eat. Eggs are good, but you need to have a ton of, say, cheese to get enough protein.

Agree completely. "70g is enough protein for any adult guy," what utter BS.

I'm just countering the commonly held misconception that you can't be athletic/muscular and be a vegetarian. It's been mentioned a few times in this thread so I wanted to shut it down, that's all. Fair enough if you weren't saying that specifically, but to the others that do, of whom there are many.

I won't argue if somebody says, "I want to eat meat cos I like it and don't care about animals suffering", but when they try to use other excuses, which are patently false, I'm gonna point it out.

By the way, per gram of protein, whey powder is one of the cheapest sources out there. Cheaper than almost all fish and meat.

Quick Reply

Latest